Problems with JVC GY-HD100 on Final Cut/multiple clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 13th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #1
New Boot

Problems with JVC GY-HD100 on Final Cut/multiple clips

Hi ,

I know this is probably an old issue, but I'm just now coming across it. Im using the JVC Gy-HD100 Camera. I just got the firmware upgrade. Im trying to capture HDV 720p 24fps and I still keep getting a ton of small little clips while capturing. The problem I am having is that it seems to lose frames every time its cuts the clip. Does anyone know what I have to do to solve this problem? Is it possible to capture with this camera without getting 100's of clips? Please help

Thank you
Peter Kappes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

That is what happened to me. I finally figured it out to be about 30 tapes that I bought at once where at least 40 percent of them are bad. I hope your is simple to solve.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kappes View Post
Is it possible to capture with this camera without getting 100's of clips?
Hi Peter.

There's a two-step process that eliminates the "mid-clip breaks". Using this method you can capture each individual take fully or, if you like, capture the entire tape as one big QuickTime movie.

1/ Capture as an .m2t file using DVHSCap or HDVxDV.
HDVxDV is a paid application and DVHSCap is free from the Apple website. To obtain DVHSCap, go to Apple Developer Connection - Development Kits and download "FireWire SDK 20 for Mac OS X (DMG)" (2005-06-06).

2/ Wrap each .m2t file in a QuickTime wrapper using a paid application called ClipWrap.
ClipWrap

Now your QuickTime movies can be directly imported to Final Cut Pro (FCP) and you can drop them into a native timeline, if you wish, and start editing.

There are other capture alternatives, but this one brings your full clips into FCP retaining 100% quality and with no transcoding.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #4
New Boot

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
Hi Peter.

2/ Wrap each .m2t file in a QuickTime wrapper using a paid application called ClipWrap.
ClipWrap
David,

Thank you so much for your reply and helping me out in this situation. You saved me alot of headache. I have a questions about clipwrap

1. Does the purchase of a license enable me to use the application as many times as I want?

2. Since I have final cut studio 2 (the most recent) it already allows the use of all the different formats of videos in the timeline. Does this have anything to do with what I would be using clipwrap for? hopefully you understand what im tryin to say, just let me know.
Peter Kappes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Major Player

1/ Yes. I think the license is probably the usual type (as far as I can recall). Use it as often as you like but only have it installed on one computer at a time. That sort of thing. We have a "sticky" thread at the top of this forum dedicated just to ClipWrap:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-pro-h...available.html

2/ ClipWrap will provide you with a fully functioning QuickTime movie in HDV 720p24 which you can drop straight onto your timeline. You can use Easy Setup for "HDV 720p24" and then make a new sequence so that you are editing "natively" in HDV 720p24. This is a very quick and easy way to do your edit because FCP does NOT have to render the clips.

If you want to work in a sequence with different codec settings, that's fine. FCP can render your HDV 720p24 clips (generated by ClipWrap) into the new codec but, as you said, FCP has the capability to play various clips of different codecs (as far as I know) in a single timeline without rendering. (But it will render when you export as a QuickTime movie.) I usually only work with clips of a single codec in a timeline, but I'm sure others on this forum have more experience with that function and could chip in if needed.

(I hope I've understood your second question properly.)

Note: ClipWrap can also make QuickTime movies of footage shot by your GY-HD100 in 720p30 and 720p25.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #6
Trustee

use the HDV->ProRes Preset. it works. it even sees the correct 24FPS timecode instead of the hacked 24->29.97NDF that the capture window does. the down side is, it puts the deck / camera into play and just records. there is no machine control. its dumb mode capture. however it does see breaks correctly, and makes a new clip on real start / stops. one can hope apple will fix this as its been a miserable mess. feel free to complain here

Apple - Final Cut Pro - Feedback

the more people complain, the more likely it is to get fixed. if every one who reads this agrees and actually bothers to do this, that will make an impact. tell them to "fix HDV720P capture" - false clip breaks, read 24fps TC as 24, ect.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #7
New Boot

I don't have a problem with the mutliple clips.

Just wanted to share that i capture using hdv 30p apple intermediate codec and it breaks the clips at the points where the camera stopped recording.. it does look like a mess at first but once i start categorizing the shots under basic folders like > Guests, Greetings, Used, Bad comp, etc... it starts clearing up my bin and its easy to go back and forth to clips that i havent used.. Just to let you guys know that not everyone thinks its bad...

but it does not have missing frames it only cuts the clip when i stopped recording.
Gibran Jimenez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems