HM700 v/f on HD201 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 26th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #1
Major Player

HM700 v/f on HD201

Does anyone know if the viewfinder used on the HM700 would work on a HD201.
Having used the far superior new v/f I find the one on the 201 to be awful to work with. I am coming from using 1 1/2 inch b/w crt v/f. on previous cameras
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have my HD200 at JVC Cypress in CA getting the tape mechanism adjusted and asked the technician that question. Unfortunately he said it they could not be swapped.
Ron Fabienke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It don't works!
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Wrangler

Sorry. The HM700 series VF is completely digital and has a different connector than the HD100/200 series.
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks to all for your replies
That's a shame as the 700's viewfinder is so much better. I bought the 200 as a support/back-up camera but find working with it's vf/monitor a real pain. Neither the viewfinder nor monitor show very accurate colour or exposure. I have to rely/hope that the camera's 'brain' is getting it right. For the most part it does but I really like to have some assurance at the shooting stage; the 700 does that with a very good image on both that show pretty well the same colouring and exposure as I'll see on my NLE system and final viewing image.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Major Player

You really worded that well George. I shoot with a HD-100 and a HM-700 and it's a big adjustment going from one to the next. I feel like you do when I shoot with the 100; that you have to cross your fingers a lot. Forget about setting a color on that camera. I basically spent a lot of time when I first got the camera testing and getting the coloration where I wanted it. Then I just had to trust that the camera was doing what it needed. In my case the settings don't change once I get them set and I can leave them from one shoot to the next. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for people who've had to adjust their color settings for each location. And for the exposure, I had to live and die with the zebra bars.

The 700 is like you described and much better at showing the actual exposure and coloration. That's been nice when lighting conditions change and I need to make an educated guess on the exposure levels.

Have you thought about a small monitor to mount on the 200's hot shoe and use for monitoring? I'm not sure what type of shooting you do so it might not be practical. They're making some field usable, lightweight HD monitors now for $1000 so it's actually becoming and option.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems