Letus35 or RedrockM2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Letus35 or RedrockM2?

Hi, maybe this could sound repetitive but I am in doubts about which one of these lens adapter systems could give me better images into my JVC HD200U? Letus35 or RedrockM2. Thanks to all for the advices.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Saul,

What ever you choose, go for a spinning groundglass type of adapter. It will allow you more options in shutter speed and lens aperture.
There are times you hand to close done your aperture, spinning types, the good ones that is, will allow you up to f11. The vibrating ones will start to show grain past f5.6.

Ted
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Major Player

The P&S mini35c or the JVC optical adapter will give you the best result, depending whether you are shooting in 35 or 16mm.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Be mindful to check with the vendors, which adaptors can be provided with a purposed relay lens between the adaptor and the camera.

With the JVC, using its own standard Fujinon zoom lens in conjunction with an achromatic dioptre (close-up) lens brings with it a longer awkard appliance.

I can't speak for the Redrock M2 as I have not played with one, so hopefully Brian Valente will comment here to fill in the gaps. I think it may be a non-flip adaptor.

For the Mini35-400 and Mini35c, there are purposed relay lenses as an extra module over the price of the base unit. The Mini35-400 is a flip adaptor, the Mini35c is a non-flip adaptor. The Mini35-400 and Mini35c are oscillating adaptors.

The older Mini35-300 is a spinning disk adaptor. I understand the Mini35-400 purposed relay lens for the JVC can retrofit to the Mini35-300 but you would need to confirm this with P+S Technik.

For the Letus Extreme/Elite/Ultimate, there is a purposed relay lens as an extra module over the price of the base unit or you can opt for the 82mm attachment ring and an achromatic dioptre. The Letus Extreme/ Elite/ Ultimate adaptors are flip adaptors. The Letus Extreme/Elite are orbital type, the Ultimate is a spinning disk type.

The second option as I mentioned, brings awkwardness and you will likely have to use the backfocus adjustment and the focus barrel on the Fujinon lens to get close enough achieve sharp relay focus. There is also an awful lot of appliance creating a load on the JVC lens mount. Rails support is a must with the Fujinon option.

The SGPro and SGBlade adaptors are spinning disk adaptors. I understand there are non-flip and flip versions of these adaptors. I don't know what mount system Wayne Kinney evolved for the JVC.

I understand the Brevis is an orbital adaptor and is available as a non-flip and flip version. If I am wrong I hope Dennis Wood will comment here and correct me. I understand the Brevis can mount via the Fujinon lens but that there is also a purposed relay lens which is unique among all the adaptors in that it incorporates a short zoom movement to enable tighter or wider than standard framing of the groundglass.

Have a look at Philil Bloom's website. He did a shootout of most of the adaptors a while back.

I think he is still at www.philipbloom.co.uk

Last edited by Bob Hart; June 29th, 2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added text
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for your advises. I will let you know my final desition.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Letus 35 hands down, can be used in many different ways and upgraded to have a relay lens. No need for the giant ugly box without even a flip. The Letus 35 has it all and is much nicer to use than the others.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems