What tapes are you now using?.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What tapes are you now using?....

We shoot to the DR-HD100 harddrive using our HD201 series camera, but also simultaneously record to tape as back-up and archival. This system works really well with us and we have been using the relatively cheap and (until now) freely available JVC Mini DV 60M (MV60J) tapes without any issues.

However, with a load of shoots coming up I checked to discover that I only had just over a dozen left and went to reorder to be told all our normal supply channels are all out of stock. I have managed to pick up some more off ebay (!) but even then that won't last long....

Of course, I know that JVC has discontinued production and that the day would come when I would need to look elsewhere. But coming from the 'use only one type of tape per head' school I am wondering what tape to move over to.

Any recommendations? Am thinking Sony mini dv tape is probably the answer.... and then using tape cleaners between changes especially if ever having to play back JVCs any time in the future.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: What tapes are you now using?....

I've used Sony tapes almost exclusively and never had an issue.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Second that - Sony, if nothing else. Any mini DV tape will do, just try to get the best quality.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Third that. Mostly pro DVCam tapes but lesser Sonys too over hundreds of hours without issue. Of course the advice is whatever brand you use stick to it exclusively and use the same brand head cleaner.
John Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello all,
This issue was discussed in an earlier thread when JVC announced it was discontinuing manufacture of Their ProHD tape.
If memory serves correctly, I think you'll find that the Panasonic tape Criag Yanagi/JVC mentioned, the Panasonic AY-HDVM63MQ, has the same specs as the JVC tapes.
We have been using this tape (along with the Panasonic head cleaner) exclusively since November 2010 with no issues whatsoever.
Since others are using Sony tapes apparently with no issues, it seems that the Pick one and Stick to it is the key and good advice, at least any head wear etc. will be consistent ...
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think the issue is that since I am now being forced to move on to another type of tape stock (Sony or Panasonic) and since I will likely in the future need to go back into our archive of JVCs at some point means I am being forced to break my rule of sticking exclusively to only one brand....

I think it may well have to be Sony as they also are the mostly likely to not discontinue their stock anytime soon!....

Cheers
Dan
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Be aware of an issue discovered last fall with the Sony tapes. It was discussed in a thread started Oct. 14 in the section "Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders". Thread title: XHA1 issues w/Sony DVC HD Mini Dv Tapes (dvm63hdr).

Don Palomaki provided a link to a Sony announcement (attached here) in a thread in the section "Digital Video Industry News" on Nov. 17.

I have about 25 tapes that fall into the bad batch of production numbers:
xxxxxxx5L, xxxxxxx6L, xxxxxxx7L, xxxxxxx8L.

I try to use the Sony tapes exclusively. Have not had any dropouts after upgrading to a faster laptop. When burning discs, I noticed that when I'm making coasters with other brand media, switching to a Sony brand CD/DVD almost always results in a good burn. Despite the bad batch problem, I'm sticking with Sony.

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HDV%20Replacement%20Web%20Notice[1].pdf (124.8 KB, 249 views)
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Panasonic AY-HDVM63MQ

I'm using these on recommendation from this forum, they work pretty good ;-)
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

"I'm using these on recommendation from this forum, they work pretty good ;-) "

Second that Andrew. We've had good results from this tape. :>)
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Carter View Post
Panasonic AY-HDVM63MQ

I'm using these on recommendation from this forum, they work pretty good ;-)
I use these too and maxell DV-M63MASTER, which I heard are the same as the panasonics.
Tup Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems