Color Balance 2 cameras...Please Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 6th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Tourist

Color Balance 2 cameras...Please Help

Good Day! I am " fighting" with 2 cameras at our Church. We have a GY-HD100U and a GY-HD110U. I am attaching two pictures. The first is from the GY-HD110U which is set directly in front of the subject. The second is from the GY-HD100U which is to the right and above the subject.

I realize that the overhead compact fluorescent lighting is horrible. However, we are just trying to get the same color and warmth out of both cameras. Please help... :-| What can we adjust to make the images the same?

I am not going to be able to tweak and test things until Friday. However, I will be monitoring this thread... :-)

Thank You In Advance for ANY assistance and ideas!!!

Glenn

PS - We are amateurs but learning at every opportunity!!! :-)))))
Attached Thumbnails
Color Balance 2 cameras...Please Help-jvcgy110u.jpg   Color Balance 2 cameras...Please Help-jvcgy100u.jpg  

Glenn Gregorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Color Balance 2 cameras...Please Help

is one using a different lens or lens attachment like a WA. This will cause colour shift. so the camera's match on 3200 preset, We have one in 3 cams that no matter is always 200k difference.

Also sometimes you can even fool the cams to get the same white balance by using a different light source and setting that as the manual white balance so they match. Also make sure your using the same colour matrix on both as well.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Tourist

Thank You for your reply Adam! I apologize for not replying sooner. It has been a hectic week.

To answer your question, the cameras have the stock lens which came with the camera. I believe they are all Fujinon.

Colour matrix. Please excuse the newbie question but how do I do that? I have been reading up on it on this site. It seems as though Paolo Ciccone had written a document about how to use a colour matrix to correct the colour of the image. However, his site has been down for some time. Do you have any recommendations? A descent how-to perhaps?

You also mention manual white balance. Do you have any idea how to do that on a GY-HD100 or GY-HD110? I have been searching for instructions to no avail.

You mention white balancing to a different light source. Given our images, would I want to raise or lower the temperature of the "overhead" shot?

Thank You Very Much for Your Time and Assistance to help us!!! It truly helps a lot!!!

Have a Great Weekend!
glenn
Glenn Gregorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #4
Major Player

i'm presuming they're stock factory settings then, to manually white balance, presuming your auto whitebalance is turned off which is a slider switch on the rear left top of the camera, you point at a white source like a sheet of paper or styrofoam and on the front left hand side of the camera is a rubber button which you depress whilst pushing at the white source, this will then manually set the white balance. if the iris is too wide open you'll need to close it down or a error message will show.
If your camera's are good, they should match when you point both at the same white source.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Gregorec View Post
You also mention manual white balance. Do you have any idea how to do that on a GY-HD100 or GY-HD110? I have been searching for instructions to no avail.
Page 45 of the manual (or search the index for white balance). Here's the excerpt:

White Balance Adjustment
Two kinds of white balance adjustment results can be stored in memories AUTO A and AUTO B.

1. Set the following switches.
• Set the POWER switch to ON.
• Set the IRIS mode switch of the lens to A (Auto).
• Set the FULL AUTO switch to OFF.
2. Set the ND filter switch according to the current lighting.
3. Set the WHT.BAL switch to A or B.
4. Place a white object near the center of the screen under the same lighting conditions as the target subject and zoom in to fill the screen with white.
5. Press the AWB (Auto White Balance) button. “AUTO WHITE A, B OPERATION” is displayed in the
viewfinder while the auto white balance adjustment circuit operates. When correct white balance is obtained, the approximate color temperature is displayed together with “AUTO WHITE A, B OK” for about 5 seconds.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems