Low-light test shoot - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 29th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Livingstone
Is that shoot with the stock lens?
Yes. The 13x3.5 isn't available here yet.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush Shahrokni
Michael check the footage again. I didnt notice it the first time I watched it either...but then I just jumped out of my chair when I watched it for the second time. Sad!

I'm sorry, but I watched both clips again, with my nose glued on the monitor, and couldn't see it. Where exactly are you seeing it?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
I'm sorry, but I watched both clips again, with my nose glued on the monitor, and couldn't see it. Where exactly are you seeing it?
Click for image

These are single frame's with split in the motion picture, not overall split in the motion picture. They are hard to pick up unless you're looking for them.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #19
Major Player

Now that the split screen was pointed out I can see it in a handful of shots. You really have to look hard but I guess if the film was blown up to 35mm or even shown in HD on a big size TV, it may be more visible.
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #20
Trustee

Ok, I see it now. But even in the still frame you have to look for it. Did you bright the shots to make them more visable?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Ok, I see it now. But even in the still frame you have to look for it. Did you bright the shots to make them more visable?
No, no enhancement. That was a screenshot from the QT player.

Tim D. What's the serial number on your unit?
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Tim, is it possible for you to upload the first shot of your teaser or the close up of the girl in raw .m2t?
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush Shahrokni
Tim, is it possible for you to upload the first shot of your teaser or the close up of the girl in raw .m2t?
I've uploaded a few takes to my public folder. The original m2t files.

http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/...etup06-tk1.m2t

http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/.../setup16-2.m2t

http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/.../setup17-1.m2t

http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/.../setup18-1.m2t
Old September 30th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #24
Inner Circle

I only saw it because someone pointed it out, it wasn't bad at all. If I already didn't know about the sse, I wouldn't have noticed at all. I thought it would be more pronounced. Easily taken care of in post IMHO. Still, it's a bummer to even have to deal with it at all. This cam is definitely not for newbies.

I'm scared to order one now. Sorry if that sounds wimpy, but I gave up being a guinea pig for new tech a long time ago. Let you young whipper snappers take the risks for now. hehehe

I think I'll just rent a DVX100a and shoot with that. Assuming the HD100 is still around, I can wait till the Canon and the Panasonic are released to make a final decision. Too much at stake to rush into things. And now, hearing about that new Sony cam coming out in spring , yet another thing to think about.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
This cam is definitely not for newbies.
Finally, a true nugget of wisdom on this board!
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #26
Trustee

Tim, bad news. I dropped the files on the timeline and sent them out to monitor. There is no mistaking the split when sent out to CRT monitor. It is not fleeting or flashing by. Take a look when the director says to the girl "fall down" on setup-06.m2t. Right when her face leaves the scene you absolutely can not miss the split for the rest of the duration of the shot. Damn it! This thing could kill one of the most phenomenal camera packages to come along in a long time.

It is what it is and there is no mistaking it. I posted an ISO on another thread for SD DVD. If you download it and burn it you'll see (if you haven't already). I asked you on another thead what the serial number of the camera in question was. Is it low??
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #27
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
I asked you on another thead what the serial number of the camera in question was. Is it low??
The serial numbers are 8 digits, so it is hard to tell what they mean. There is probably some type of coding system that tells you when the unit was manufactured.

I'll email them to you so you can try to decipher them.

Last edited by Tim Dashwood; September 30th, 2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Tim, bad news. I dropped the files on the timeline and sent them out to monitor. There is no mistaking the split when sent out to CRT monitor. It is not fleeting or flashing by. Take a look when the director says to the girl "fall down" on setup-06.m2t. Right when her face leaves the scene you absolutely can not miss the split for the rest of the duration of the shot. Damn it! This thing could kill one of the most phenomenal camera packages to come along in a long time.
I saw it, but that wasn't why I posted the footage. The point of this test was very low ambient light, but I was fortunate enough to get a bit of split screen.
That's exactly why I'm doing so many tests. I wouldn't want to find this stuff out while in production.
What I find really interesting is how it "flickers" in and out. The intermittency is probably a pretty good clue as to what is actually happening and why. I need to test this in a controlled environment some more before I send this unit back to JVC.
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The serial numbers are 8 digits, so it is hard to tell what they mean. There is probably some type of coding system that tells you when the unit was manufactured.
It would be very difficult to try to identify an affected batch vs. an unaffected batch by analyzing serial numbers on any of today's camcorders. These numbers are not just a direct progressive sequence like they were just a few short years ago. Those numbers will tell you what the technician on that assembly line ate for breakfast the morning your camera was built, but without knowing how those serial numbers are coded they would be impossible to decipher properly.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:34 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Tim, thx alot for posting the clips!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems