JVC Says that the split screen can be fixed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 9th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC Says that the split screen can be fixed

Last week the Company that represents JVC in Jakarta, Alphateck, assured us that the split screen can be fixed with a softwear and some more adjustments. I will give my camera on the 15th of the month for fixing. Then I will come back with the results. Anyhow they fixed in less than an hour a dead pixel that I had in mine. The technician told me that he would need more than a couple of hours to fix the split screen and i didn't have the time that day. The cameras in Indonesia are 100 and 101E. But i do not think that this could make any difference.
Panos
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Panos,

Welcome to the DVInfo Forums!

Please visit regularly and keep us informed about the split screen issue. I, for one, am very interested in this camera as are many others here who are considering what HD/HDV camera to commit to.
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Split screen repaired

Coming back with the news about the split screen. Our first camera has been repaired yesterday. We tested it throught full gain, low light, etc. and there is no trace of split screen any more. JVC Jakarta (Alphateck), assured us that with the new softwear that they use to repair the split screen, there will be no problem any more. Today we will adjust our second camera that has a very obvious split screen problem also.
So, guys... If the softwear arrived in Jakarta, I think that it is a matter of weeks until it arrives in the USA. Don't forget that we have the cam hear since last month, and the procedures went faster in this part of the world.
Panos
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #4
Trustee

Great news amigo. This is the first instance/news of an actual repair as opposed to a camera replacement. Same serial number? and can you post the firmware version if you get a minute?

once again it's good to hear a sucess.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #5
Major Player

As of this week I'm still being told by the JVC northwest rep that in their last sales meeting they're being told no software fix is forthcoming and this split screen is "normal" phenomena. But hey, they're sales reps not engineers.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Second camera repaired

Yesterday our second camera was repaired. This time i have been present, so, the guy downloaded a completely new software. It took 15 min until it was installed to the camera and then he went throught a detailed adjustment with the camera in all the modes, NTSC,PAL,24 HD etc. until he maneged to eliminate the split sceen. We tested the camera yesterday night and the split screen was really not there in the most extreme gain and low light conditions. He told us that JVC is preparing another software that will deal with other defects of the cam as well. With the split screen fixed we don't have anymore the double line that was present in some hard and shiny volumes (Like fruits, or metallic balls etc.). He said that both phenomena were interilated. Yesterday we had two cameras responding really well in low light and gain conditions so we are happy and ready to shoot in two days a great project in Sumatra and lake Toba. Thats all - For more details just post your questions and i will try to get the answers from JVC Jakarta. Actually the first countries to get the cam were Indonesia and Thailland. The first uogrades are happening hear as well. Panos Bournias
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

That's great to hear. Is that part of Asia NTSC or PAL?
Robin Hemerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #8
HDV Cinema

Flight leaving for LV. Head to www.gyhduser.com for full info on firmware. Sorry i DON'T HAVE TIME TO POST HERE.
Old October 14th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

Here's a link to Steve's post:
http://www.gyhduser.com/showthread.php?t=273

Quick summary: firmware doesn't affect split-screen, so ongoing firmware development won't change it. And they're not planning on making any firmware updates that will affect it, nor will they be changing the CCD or DSP either.

So -- basically, they're saying that the hardware issues are not going to be changed, it is what it is.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #10
Major Player

So if it is a hardware issue and JVC can't fix it in firmware, what magic hardware change did they do to Panos's camera in that 15min to fix the problem?

Sounds like it can be pretty much eliminated by a firmware revision and calibration by a decent technician.

I hope this is right, then I can finally get on with buying on of these suckers.

Panos, maybe you could ask your tech to detail what he did (in terms other JVC techs would understand) so others can contact their JVC service and ask for the same repairs, and those buying can specify that this must have been done on their camera before being supplied.

I heard another storey yesterday first hand of an Australian JVC rep telling a Pro Video reseller they aren't interested in fixing it, yet clearly they are fixing it in some cases. JVC is a pretty big company, I don't think the left hand knows what the right is doing sometimes.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Here's a link to Steve's post:
http://www.gyhduser.com/showthread.php?t=273

Quick summary: firmware doesn't affect split-screen, so ongoing firmware development won't change it. And they're not planning on making any firmware updates that will affect it, nor will they be changing the CCD or DSP either.
Barry, you left out some important information Steve gave in that post. To quote Steve:

"I was also happy to learn that JVC has a much simpler way to ELIMINATE SSE should it occur. It's not that my "rules" are wrong -- it's that they are more complex and restricting than they need to be. I'll share that information next week as well."

Please, deliver the whole information or nothing at all. The last thing we need here is half baked summaries which could generate more confusion.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

The confusion has been over whether they're repairing them, and what firmware version, etc. According to Steve's interview with JVC USA, no they are not going to repair anything, and there's nothing in firmware that they could repair anyway.

The part you point out is more "workaround rules". Not a fix. I was just trying to address the issue of "will it be FIXED or not", and according to what Steve posted there, no it will not. You will be expected to try to work around it.

I don't think that comes off as "half baked" at all. It is what it is. It will not be anything different than what it is. The challenge left to the shooter is whether they can work around it. Steve will be posting new guidelines; then shooters will have the info they need and will be able to make a fully-formed decision on whether they can accomodate the issue.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Please, deliver the whole information or nothing at all.
It's okay to paraphrase or summarize something that comes from another site, but posting "the whole information" is never allowed, as that's a copyright violation that I don't care to deal with. Giving the link as Barry did was the right thing to do.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
The confusion has been over whether they're repairing them, and what firmware version, etc. According to Steve's interview with JVC USA, no they are not going to repair anything, and there's nothing in firmware that they could repair anyway.
That's the thing many seem to be missing out. You can only repair a defect. It's been said over and over that SSE is not a defect. It's a limitation of the design. So there can be only a work around. This is obvious!

Quote:
I don't think that comes off as "half baked" at all. It is what it is. It will not be anything different than what it is.
The way you posted it, sounded like there's no more hope. But Steve said JVC has a way to ELIMINATE SSE. Couldn't you have added that bit?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #15
Trustee

Let's wait for some news. The user from Jakarta actually saw their dealer support fix SSE somehow.

we'll see..
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems