The JVC HD100 Goes Wild - Suitable Backpack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 20th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #1
Major Player

The JVC HD100 Goes Wild - Suitable Backpack

I will be needing to take my HD100 into some pretty remote locations in the Australian bush and wondering whether anyone has used or knows about a suitable Hiker back pack style bag for it? Would one of the Portabrace Hiker backpacks be suitable?

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I know what your'e going through. Took me ages to work something out. camera doesnt really fit any pelican case, kata make nothing and portabrace dont either.....or didnt when i first got my camera.
Try the LowePro Lenstrekker bag. It fits with my idx battery on the back and some spare bits n pieces. Snug fit for the camera (i take the viewfinder and top mic off to fly, take the bag as cabin baggage, can then fit a few other goodies in there too) but a good fully adjustable backpack sort of thing u may be after, if you're going trekking.
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 04:19 AM   #3
Major Player

Craig, just checked out the Lowepro Lens Trekker and it might do the trick.

I was also needing some space for IDX batteries as I am getting this powering solution fot he camera.

Cheers.

Rob
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
I will be needing to take my HD100 into some pretty remote locations in the Australian bush and wondering whether anyone has used or knows about a suitable Hiker back pack style bag for it? Would one of the Portabrace Hiker backpacks be suitable?

Rob
I use this case, the camera fit in with the IDX adapter and a 130 WA battery. Has a few nice packets beside the camera, all lockable. I don't use as a backpack, but it's came with all backpack accesories.

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Lowepro is awesome. My still equipment will never reside in anything else.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Just checked out the portabrace site and they make backpack which suits the JVC. It is the HKP-3 (hiker pack also used for the XL2). Anybody with any experience of that?

With the Lowepro does the camera face downwards i.e with weight on the lens (assuming that you are wearing it as a backpack)? It appears from the picture that it does. Is it somehow strapped in and supported around the body so that the weight does not rest on the lens? I would be a bit worried if the weight of the camera was supported on the Lens while you were walking long distances over rough terrain.

Rob
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
Just checked out the portabrace site and they make backpack which suits the JVC. It is the HKP-3 (hiker pack also used for the XL2). Anybody with any experience of that?

With the Lowepro does the camera face downwards i.e with weight on the lens (assuming that you are wearing it as a backpack)? It appears from the picture that it does. Is it somehow strapped in and supported around the body so that the weight does not rest on the lens? I would be a bit worried if the weight of the camera was supported on the Lens while you were walking long distances over rough terrain.

Rob

Are you checked the Kata?
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Laszlo, actually I think I was confusing the Kata with the Lowepro. I did check the Kata. Seems like a good backpack.

It seems that you put the camera in Lens forward so that when you put it on your back the lens will be facing downwards. Is that correct? Are there any holding straps that support the camera internally as I am concerned about the weight of the camera being on the Lens on a long hike.

Rob
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes, the camera is down with the lens, but seat in the case very tight, secure. No straps, but in my opinion the camera is padded enough, and again seating very tight. But, you right the whole weight may not the best for the lens.
In my personal opinion it's a right case for you. But again, that's only me .

Laszlo
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks, I will definitely check the Kata bag out. It sounds like it would be pretty easy to actually have some straps around the body put in anyway.

Rob
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Sorry Robert, (actually is a good news) I just checked my case, and I find it out it's have a thick velcro at the middle around the camera what you can use secure down the camcorder. It's also coming an extra velcro board for use as a costum dividers, (you can cut for the size you need) and lot's of extra yellow velcro strips, so you can use them as a holding straps.
(It's also come with the camera raincover. I bought the wheels too, you can leave it in, or just pull out if you don't need it.)
I always used Portabrace before, but I'm very happy with this case.

Laszlo
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #12
Major Player

Cheers Laszlo,

Sounds like exactly what I need. I am also just about to get the IDX battery system for the camera as I will need a bit more power than the battery that comes with the camera!

Rob
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:24 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Robert,
In the lowepro bag i took out all the foam dividers/ supports and just left one to cushion a spare battery and bits n pieces. It's a snug fit because of the top mic and view finder , camera wont shake around at all and the camera goes tail in first, lens up.
The kata one doesnt fit with my idx batteries on it.
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:28 PM   #14
Regular Crew

oh yeah, the kata is also about double the price of the lowepro. i payed around $280 AUD for my lowepro.....
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:51 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
Robert,

The kata one doesnt fit with my idx batteries on it.

I have this case, and I use with the IDX adapter + Switronix 130 MA battery, which is thick. Still fit in. Nice and snug. Also the height too. Nice and snug The camera don't move at all. I paid at the Weva show $240 with the troley.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems