Letterbox on HD100U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 7th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
I assume the JVC Professional DT-V100CGU Monitor will accomplish oth the switch between 4:3 and 16:9 and also playback HDTV images from the camera. Looks pretty good to me =) But I am anew to this, so what do I know
That's probably a good assumption. For a real HD monitoring, it may require an input card. There are two available, component and SDI, the first is around $500.00 so the total is more like $1,600.00 - but what combination would be best I don't know, perhaps somebody here can give us a hand...:-)
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
That's probably a good assumption. For a real HD monitoring, it may require an input card. There are two available, component and SDI, the first is around $500.00 so the total is more like $1,600.00 - but what combination would be best I don't know, perhaps somebody here can give us a hand...:-)
I hope so =)

i saw one for $500 and another for $1800, but is cutting it real close to my small budget. Just not sure if the $500 will make it as far as HD playback.

Looks cool though
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #18
Major Player

Brian,
I looked at the specs and it appears that this JVC is actually an SD monitor that has the capability of down-converting HD to NTSC. In other words, it's not a real HD monitor. I was suggested this one:
Panasonic BT-LH900
http://www.panasonic.ca/English/Broa...rs/BTLH900.asp
...but that's beyond my current budget and it wouldn't double as an edit suite monitor because it's too small for that. Another option is this:
Panasonic BT-LH1700W
http://www.panasonic.ca/English/Broa.../btlh1700w.asp
...and the search (and research) continues... Any suggestions appreciated.
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
Brian,
I looked at the specs and it appears that this JVC is actually an SD monitor that has the capability of down-converting HD to NTSC. In other words, it's not a real HD monitor. I was suggested this one:
Panasonic BT-LH900
http://www.panasonic.ca/English/Broa...rs/BTLH900.asp
...but that's beyond my current budget and it wouldn't double as an edit suite monitor because it's too small for that. Another option is this:
Panasonic BT-LH1700W
http://www.panasonic.ca/English/Broa.../btlh1700w.asp
...and the search (and research) continues... Any suggestions appreciated.
They are both a lot of money. How about the ones that Tim recommended? They seem to be HD, at least the last one and its only $599 (from what I found).
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #20
Wrangler

Brian:

To answer your early question about seeing small monitors on sets, those are traditional used on film productions as the video tap is not an accurate rendering of color, contrast etc.,so all they are showing is framing and performance. The smaller monitor allows for a more portable setup. Some directors insist on larger monitors for the same purpose.

On HD shows, it's not uncommon to see large LCD's in use for the same purpose, as the HD signal is more true than the videotaps used for film. In behind-the-scenes shots of the latter Star Wars films you can see Lucas viewing the images on what appear to be 24" monitors.
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Brian:

To answer your early question about seeing small monitors on sets, those are traditional used on film productions as the video tap is not an accurate rendering of color, contrast etc.,so all they are showing is framing and performance. The smaller monitor allows for a more portable setup. Some directors insist on larger monitors for the same purpose.

On HD shows, it's not uncommon to see large LCD's in use for the same purpose, as the HD signal is more true than the videotaps used for film. In behind-the-scenes shots of the latter Star Wars films you can see Lucas viewing the images on what appear to be 24" monitors.
Thanks Charles,

So I can get away with some of the monitors Timm recommended and still get a pretty accurate representation of the final image?

Thanks
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #22
HDV Cinema

You'll find a lot of info at AVS. I took their rave reviews of a 27" Syntax LCD. Bought from target.com for under $1000.

It may not be equal to a Sharp LCD, but it is fantasic. Accepts DVI and via HDMI-to-DVI adaptor can be fed fron the JVC deck. Analog component direct from the HD100.

They have smaller and larger.

Get it ISF calibrated and you'll have an excellent native 1280x720 monitor.
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:58 AM   #23
Trustee

I heard the Apple Cinema Displays are great as well. I think that was what Lucas used in the latest Star Wars. They sell for around 700 for a 20".
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems