Barry: ASA Rating? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 11th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #16
HDV Cinema

I agree -- I think 1.5 is the best you get. Just like when you say a 1.4 lens you mean the best.

The difference is that when you say a 1.4 lens we all know you mean the number f1.4 marked on the lens AND with a full Open aperture.

I think Fujinon is saying, yes it has a T-stop of 1.5 -- but not disclosing that this value is only reached at some-point in the aperture range. Maybe in the middle or maybe only around f/11. And, certainly not at full open!

Worse, even this 1.5 value may be only wide open. It could increase dramatically at full Tele.

Which means at full Tele and at f/1.4 the actual T-stop could be 5.6 or worse!

So to REALLY answer Charles's question -- someone needs to create a 2D table with Zoom across the top and f-stop down the side. Then put the ASA values in the cells. Also choose the cell with the highest ASA value and make it a 1. Then rate all the other cells in LOWERED SENSITIVITY is "stops of light."
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
I think Fujinon is saying, yes it has a T-stop of 1.5 -- but not disclosing that this value is only reached at some-point in the aperture range. Maybe in the middle or maybe only around f/11. And, certainly not at full open!
Huh????

Quote:
Worse, even this 1.5 value may be only wide open. It could increase dramatically at full Tele.

Which means at full Tele and at f/1.4 the actual T-stop could be 5.6 or worse!
4 stops? I highly doubt it. I just measured complete consistency from 5.5mm to 40mm and then a drop of 10 to 15 IRE with heavy vignetting as I approach 88mm. BTW, the vignetting seems to start subtley at around 20mm.
Quote:
So to REALLY answer Charles's question -- someone needs to create a 2D table with Zoom across the top and f-stop down the side. Then put the ASA values in the cells. Also choose the cell with the highest ASA value and make it a 1. Then rate all the other cells in LOWERED SENSITIVITY is "stops of light."
A simpler and better solution would to simply measure actual transmittance at each marked F stop using the published spec of T1.5 as the starting point for full open. However, based on Barry's experience with his lens, each lens would probably have slight variances with results.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #18
Wrangler

Yes indeed. I wasn't looking at the variance in light transmittal across the zoom range, only the question of why the sensitivity of the camera appeared to shift across the APERTURE range, so my theory and suggested experiment were designed to measure the actual transmittance (i.e. T-stops) of the lens against the markings (f-stops) which I thought might shed light on the conundrum. I can't see why a camera would exhibit different sensitivity (ASA) at different apertures--the imager doesn't "care" what the aperture setting is, it only knows the amount of light hitting it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems