Deck control and time code issues - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 6th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #121
Major Player

The deck IS fully supported (certified) by AVID in SD. Including the RS422. That means that the issues are only when working in HDV.
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #122
Trustee

I actually never thought to look in the SD devices for the BR-50 as we planned to use it only for HDV work. Thanks for pointing that out but I am now more confused then. What is keeping it form being certified with HDV?

Interesting. By the way, my JVC Engineer knew about your issue I think. Seems they now know you in JVC headquarters. Better keep a low profile for a while. : )

As for our audio and TC issue with the camera, he tells me our shoot tape is on it's way to Japan. Apparently they want to see it. Hmm.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #123
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I actually never thought to look in the SD devices for the BR-50 as we planned to use it only for HDV work. Thanks for pointing that out but I am now more confused then. What is keeping it form being certified with HDV?

Sean
MPEG-2 is very different than DV in the way a deck or camcorder can read TC while shuttling. Also it is slower to report status and accept commands.
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #124
Regular Crew

MPG2 Errors

Our tape was also sent to JVC Japan and they came up with the conclusion that there were errors in TC, they reported that they supposed the Avid 520 (that time) and the BRHD50 were not working together optimally. As it happens the JVC and the Avid representative in Jakarta to be the same company, the response for us was fast.
We got in time the Avid upgrade 521 and the betta improvement for the BRHD50. Now we just wait for the full support of the cam from the Avid.
The curious thing was that the same problems for the particular MT2 file were obvious on the tape exported via Cineform and Canopus.
-Instead an Mt2 produced via cineform had no drop outs at all. This is that i cannot understand.
We also transcoded the m2t produced by the avid to Cineform m2t but the errors were there.
We also transcoded the sequence to DNXHD 75 with the same results.

The last upgrade of the spooler seems to work fine eliminating the errors.
-
In sd the spooler works fine and it is fully supported by avid.
The HD 101 E though seems that cannot be recognised by the Avid application.
The HDlink recognises it immediately without problems. But the errors of the print out were more obvious through the camera than through the spooler. Maybe Steven can figure out a conclusion for these mysteries...
Anyway we are pioneering the domain HDV so we get a taste of this adventure... (That is not bad)!
Panos B
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #125
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos Bournias
The last upgrade of the spooler seems to work fine eliminating the errors.
I am just curious here; how do you upgrade the deck? Is it a firmware? How is it installed?
Thanks.
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #126
Regular Crew

firware

It is a firmware, i do not know how it is installed.
I know that it took him 10 to 15 min to install it but i did not go into his room to see what he was doing.
I know that it was a file sent from JVC attached to an e-mail.
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #127
Tourist

HVR-A1 Avid Non Recognition in HDV Mode

Has anyone encountered this problem with Avid and the Sony HVR-A1?. The camera is recognized in HDV Mode by HDLink and in Premiere Pro 1.5.1 with Aspect HD but not by Avid whose Console reports no camera initialized.

Avid will only recognize it as a DVcam Deck when set to down convert to DV.

Any ideas anyone?
Stewart Rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #128
Regular Crew

about the upgrade

Jim, I have just noticed:
In the back of the spooler there is a memory socket for a normal SD card. They upgrade the spooler using a memory card with the firmware file throught that socket.
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #129
Trustee

Dang, forgot to tell everyone. I have yet to fully test it but, the ver 104 update seems to have gotten the deck to correctly send TC and respond to RS-422 controllers. I was able to work with one of our decks using our old Sony edit controllers in our tape viewing room, about 75 feet away yesterday.

You do indeed have a cover plate on the back of the deck. Insert the update SD card with the machine off. Set the front panel switches per the update instructions and hit a few menu buttons. The next bit is a touch scary. There is no real feedback except the last red LED of the audio 1/2 channel level flashes with activity. You see nothing on the monitor while updating. The updates on our 2 decks took nearly 5 minutes each. When it is done, both last audio ch 1/2 and 3/4 LEDs flash slowly. You remove the card and the machine will power itself off. On reboot, check the version number and make sure it is now the new version.

JVC current version for the BR-HD50U deck (NTSC) seems to be 104. Ours came with 102 and had all the RS-422 and TC issues.

I will be testing both decks directly hooked to Avids tomorrow.

Sean

Old January 11th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #130
Contributor

Quote:
The HD 101 E though seems that cannot be recognised by the Avid application.
Panos B
Panos - I have had the 101E working with both Adrenaline and XpressProHD (only in HDV30 as that is all that is supported). What were your problems?
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #131
Regular Crew

Need Update Too

Sean,

I need this update too. How did you get it from JVC?

Best,

Dave Dessel
David Dessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #132
Trustee

Check with a JVC dealer (professional) and get your areas local support number. Ask for an Engineer. When you get in touch with a live human, explain to him you need the update for TC and RS/422 control issues. Let him know what version you currently have. The current update is ver 104.

They may point you to a download link. Grab the file, unzip it and save it on a SD card. They will likely e-mail you instructions on how to do the update.

Sean

Old January 11th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #133
Regular Crew

My problems

My problems John are described in this post.
In brief... while editing an HDV 720p project, everything was bad with the Xpress Pro 520 and everything went better with the 521 updated version.
But the big problem, before the update of the BRHD50, was that I could not export to HDV device without serious drop outs to the recorded project.
Now I did 6 in total print outs, for the 3 language versions of the project and it worked fine.
If I export to the camera, through the HD link, as Avid still cannot recognize it, i still get many drop outs, using the same m2t file.
I hope there will be an update for the camera too.
In DV mode it has been recording the export to tape without problems.
I feel relieved as the projection of the movie is for the 18th of January and until last week I could not deliver this costy and demanding to my clients and I was bull... them about off line previews etc..
All the best - Panos Bournias
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #134
Contributor

Quote:
My problems John are described in this post.
In brief... while editing an HDV 720p project, everything was bad with the Xpress Pro 520 and everything went better with the 521 updated version.
But the big problem, before the update of the BRHD50, was that I could not export to HDV device without serious drop outs to the recorded project.
Now I did 6 in total print outs, for the 3 language versions of the project and it worked fine.
If I export to the camera, through the HD link, as Avid still cannot recognize it, i still get many drop outs, using the same m2t file.
I hope there will be an update for the camera too.
In DV mode it has been recording the export to tape without problems.
I feel relieved as the projection of the movie is for the 18th of January and until last week I could not deliver this costy and demanding to my clients and I was bull... them about off line previews etc..
All the best - Panos Bournias
Sorry Panos - I thought you meant you couldn't get the camera to be recognised at all by the Avid over IEEE. It seems like it's the export to tape function only - I haven't tested this.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems