VERY happy customer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

VERY happy customer

Alright so I've had the cameras for a couple of days and I've been quite busy with several shoots with the new cams.

All I can say is that I LOVE it. I was waiting for the HVX but after all the info I could gather (workflow, res, ergo, etc) I decided to take the plunge and go with the JVC. My parter and I were ordering quite a bit of other supporting equipment including 2 cameras and 2 decks so it was a very heavy decision. I can official say now after having shot, and posted over 4 hours of footage, shooting in all kinds of different situations that the JVC was the right decision. What a fabulous camera!

My only regret is that I didn't pick one up sooner. I was waiting all this time for nothing.

Thanks,
Eric James

http://www.expertmagic.com/
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Major Player

I was sold when they told me it shot 720p /24p...
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

.....touche
Abel Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric James
My only regret is that I didn't pick one up sooner. I was waiting all this time for nothing.
:-) well...maybe not because some of the early cameras had problems... remember? The camera firmware was updated in the late fall and I bet the quality control was tighten up as well. I am quite happy with mine...picked it up this past Tuesday.
Old January 13th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #5
Wrangler

It's funny how the tide may turn for the JVC. Now that there are more cameras available and there are workflow issues with each and every one, the gripes with the JVC are put into perspective

I think when it was one of only 2 available, and 2 more were on the horizon, it was easy to dismiss the JVC as being "not quite there", and wait in anticipation for the godliness that will be the HVX and XLH.

Or maybe I'm full of it and things will continue to be the way they were, with people whispering in hushed tones about secret flaws. I dunno, I don't care anymore :-)
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #6
Major Player

it seems to me people are so paranoid about making the "wrong decision" when there isn't one
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
It's funny how the tide may turn for the JVC. Now that there are more cameras available and there are workflow issues with each and every one, the gripes with the JVC are put into perspective

I think when it was one of only 2 available, and 2 more were on the horizon, it was easy to dismiss the JVC as being "not quite there", and wait in anticipation for the godliness that will be the HVX and XLH.
You said it all Nate.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Is it possible that JVC has made some drastic improvements?
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
The dramatic improvements may be that people's eyes are opening up.

It's obviously evident that the ProHD workflow is very inexpensive and the camera that supports ProHD (HD-100) is a great performer.

JVC is onto something good with ProHD. I'm on with the workflow and anticipating bigger and better things from the format and the company.

all the best guys...
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
The "improvements" were people that trashed it finally got a hold of it and did some tests, and also it was tested to cameras that were supposed to be better. The few cameras that were bad should have been returned, like any other bad/defected electronics.
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:

The only drastic change was in the market around the HD100, as Nate started to hint.
Now that all the cameras are out and that hype is turning into just that, hype, and people are seeing no camera is perfect, they ALL have problems and that many HD100 happy users are reporting, people are seeing the truth.
I don't think it was anything JVC changed in the camera because mine is an early model and I have been happy since I got it. Since I got it, I have been telling people here that the VF is fine! The SSE is only there if you don't know what you are doing, and the camera makes great pictures. Now they are starting to see there may be some truth to all the good reports HD100 users have been posting and that the bad reports were over blown and done mostly by people who either didn't have the camera or were hardcore fans from other brands. Now that “everyday” somebody different posts they have bought a HD100 and are happy and that the user base is growing fast, people may be thinking, hey, there can be a couple of stupid ones, but not that many. Are all these people retarded or the camera is really good and all the bad talking was just exaggeration? I wish I could say what I really think, but it wouldn’t last a couple of minutes in this place. But in essence, that’s what’s going on. No radical camera revisions.
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
The few cameras that were bad should have been returned, like any other bad/defected electronics.
Brian speaks the truth. I was no fan of the original HD100, having bought and returned one. But I used one a month ago and was very impressed with it -- and yes, it was substantially superior to the one I had before. And the image from this one was great. This is one that Adam Wilt brought with him, that he'd been testing for DV.com.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Brian speaks the truth. I was no fan of the original HD100,
There's no original HD100. All HD100 are still the original one, unless you tested the prototype, which I don’t think was what you meant. Just wanted to clarify this as it can be interpreted as you are saying there was a major revision or change in the current models and could feed the already tiring “ JVC is replacing the HD100 on NAB 2006” stupid rumour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
having bought and returned one. But I used one a month ago and was very impressed with it -- and yes, it was substantially superior to the one I had before. And the image from this one was great. This is one that Adam Wilt brought with him, that he'd been testing for DV.com.
Lemons are a natural thing in any industrialized product line. But people seemed to have chose to ignore that fact.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #14
Major Player

What Barry is really referring to is a defected JVC camera, but unfortunately people let a few bad apples spoil a whole bunch, and then there was the HDV camera war.... Hmm reminds me of how the Iraq war got started, on false and meritless "data." Let's not rush to a decision before its been tested by itself and with and against others.
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #15
Major Player

Nate I think you were one of the smarter ones that, just keep your mouth shut and do what you have to do, don't get all mixed up in BS politics.

"A shifty plumber always blames his tools"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems