More HD-100 content to view (many genre) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 13th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Trustee

More HD-100 content to view (many genre)

Hi,

Here is some more HD-100 created content. The documentary, independant film, music video, commercial, nature and outdoors were all shot here in Chicago. The drama and sports were shot in the orient. The oriental drama clips and sports clips were not raw m2t to me but nevertheless it displays what the HD-100 is all about. This is a small sampling of clips destined for 35mm film transfer and then projected at Columbia College (Chicago) on Feb 2. This is wmv. The clips are not color corrected and use various scene files and camera manipulation. We want to see what these raw scene files look link in transfer.

Sorry Mac guys, I'd love to put the elementary streams up for you but it's just to big.
Click Here

If you'd like to join in and see how well the HD-100 transfers to 35mm with your own eyes at Columbia College, register at the JVC professional web site for the JVC sponsored day.

Have fun and keep shooting...
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Major Player

The link doesn't work...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Not working =(
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Link fixed amigos....
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
If you'd like to join in and see how well the HD-100 transfers to 35mm with your own eyes at Columbia College, register at the JVC professional web site for the JVC sponsored day.

Have fun and keep shooting...
Do you have a link to that?
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #6
Major Player

All I can say is WOW!

The train and the orient sporting event was stunning. So many other great shots / footage, too much to list in fact. It makes me want to run out with my JVC out and shoot like a rabid dog.

Any tips on your low light footage, as for settings?

Thanks for sharing Stephen.

p.s. I have a feeling the server bandwidth is going to suffer once word gets around regarding that clip, we may need to talk.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The link is down, I would really love to see this stuff. maybe somone can E-mail it to me? vatn@cfl.rr.com

Thanks
Chris
Old January 14th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #8
Trustee

Looks great! I didn't see any compression or MPEG2 HDV artefacts in the snow or fast soccer motion scene. I tell you the people who bashes HDV are the ones who don’t use it.
The wide shots with the guy in the suit coming out of the building and in Chicago at night with the train in the background looked very sharp. Shots like that would have fell apart with DV. Lots of beautiful stuff in that reel like the Sky Vodka shot. Congrats.

P.S. One more Pro who escapes the SSE curse (hehehe, sarcasm!!!)

Last edited by Michael Maier; January 14th, 2006 at 09:20 AM.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Stephen

As usual some great stuff. Thanks for sharing with us. Partularly loved the harbour and train.

Regards Greg C

P.S. Any news on a scene file sticky in the forum?
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #10
Trustee

HDV 1 really is a whole different beast when compared to HDV 2 (1080i) other than the name being the same they are not even close in terms of quality.

Most people who say HDV sucks are watching the more common 1080i form of HDV or HDV 1 from the old single chip JVC HDV camera.

Stephen thanks for those samples. I am returning today from our 5 week trip to South Africa. Right before we left for South Africa we sold our house in California and moved to Madison, WI. I think I might just have to take a small drive to Chi-town and check out some of the transfers.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #11

Stephen,

Beautiful footage. Thank you for taking your time to prepare and post it. I watched the footage on my Sony Vaio... three times!

Last edited by Guest; January 14th, 2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Sorry Mac guys, I'd love to put the elementary streams up for you but it's just to big.
Click Here
For the Mac guys, Microsoft has officially announced that they will not be developing Windows Media Player for Mac anymore (they haven't had a new version in two years.)

However, they are offering for free a download of Flip4Mac v2.0 which was developed by a third party and allows Windows Media content to be played from within Quicktime. It even works in Safari as a plug-in.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../flip4mac.mspx

I have been using the new version of Flip4Mac all morning and it has been working great... except for Stephen's file above. The problem is that Flip4Mac only supports up to Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile and not WMV10.

So please, I beg anyone encoding and uploading WMV files, for the sake of cross compatibility please use WMV9 and not 10.
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

new version!

There are problems with QT 7.04 and the original Flip4mac version.

Apple QuickTime v7.0.4 users, please use this new Flip4Mac version 2.01:

http://www.flip4mac.com/downloads/wm...MV%202.0.1.dmg
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Toussaint
There are problems with QT 7.04 and the original Flip4mac version.
Yeah, I had been just figuring that out :-) Good link. Shanks.
Old January 14th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #15
Major Player

The encoded video is only 5 megabit , so there are plenty of compression artifacts due to that. 9 megabits/sec works better for 720p.
The edge enhancements are far too evident for a film like 35mm transfer. For example, look at the edge of the buildings in the train footage. The ringing ( overshoot) due to the video edge enhancements are a disappointment, as I know this can be turned down in the camera.
I come from a film background, and I'm starting to think that folks coming from a video background just aren't tuned into these defects.
If the test was supposed to see how close the hd100 can come to a film look, then re shoot with the sharpening turned down. Film *never* has overshoot or ringing.
-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems