More HD-100 content to view (many genre) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Dit
The encoded video is only 5 megabit , so there are plenty of compression artifacts due to that. 9 megabits/sec works better for 720p.
The edge enhancements are far too evident for a film like 35mm transfer. For example, look at the edge of the buildings in the train footage. The ringing ( overshoot) due to the video edge enhancements are a disappointment, as I know this can be turned down in the camera.
I come from a film background, and I'm starting to think that folks coming from a video background just aren't tuned into these defects.
If the test was supposed to see how close the hd100 can come to a film look, then re shoot with the sharpening turned down. Film *never* has overshoot or ringing.
-Les
Agreed, however, we want to see the effects and what to expect from different scenarios. If I'd have encoded the file @ 9Mb it would be HUGE and really the web space is hard to come by. This is to just give some ideas and idea of the type of stuff we're prepairing for transfer.

If we see something in the transfer that is alarming we'll let everyone know what to expect. As it is, the small sample is highly compressed and of course the transfer content will be uncompressed TGA sequences.

good luck amigos...
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
The encoded video is only 5 megabit , so there are plenty of compression artifacts due to that. 9 megabits/sec works better for 720p.
The edge enhancements are far too evident for a film like 35mm transfer. For example, look at the edge of the buildings in the train footage. The ringing ( overshoot) due to the video edge enhancements are a disappointment, as I know this can be turned down in the camera.
I come from a film background, and I'm starting to think that folks coming from a video background just aren't tuned into these defects.
If the test was supposed to see how close the hd100 can come to a film look, then re shoot with the sharpening turned down. Film *never* has overshoot or ringing.
-Les
I learned a lot about this from Adam Wilt during the course of the 4 camera shootout last week. I got to see on a scope just how too much image enhancement destroys the signal.

I had been working with -3 or -4 detail on my HD100 prior to the tests, now I'm doing more of my own testing with -9 or detail off completely. As Jay Nemeth said to me...you can always add detail in post, but if you shoot with it, you can never take it away. I knew that before, of course, but adding an unsharp mask in post always seemed like it'd be a pain.

Since color-correction products like DaVinci do their own edge-enhancement when transferring film, but the film itself of course has none...I've decided maybe the best approach is to treat edge enhancement like I do color-correction. Necessary, but something best done in post where I can fine tune it for the intended distribution (small screen NTSC, large screen HD, or even NOT adding it for a filmout).
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #18
New Boot

Stephen,

Thank you for posting the link - the footage was very interesting.

Do you know (or is there any way to find out) which lens was being used in all or some of the shots?
Brian Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #19
Regular Crew

SHOOT on HDV100

Hey Nate, have you used your HDV100 to shoot any ov your videos?
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Child
Stephen,

Thank you for posting the link - the footage was very interesting.

Do you know (or is there any way to find out) which lens was being used in all or some of the shots?
The stock lens was used on all of the Chicago stuff (listed above). I can not speak for the oriental stuff. There are even more clips in the film transfer and the stock lens was used throughout.
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #21
Major Player

Sorry everyone but the link to the file had to be cut... the load on my server bandwidth was WAY higher than I thought it would be. I hope that Stephen can find a temporary spot for his examples until I regain some bandwidth, it will be 15 more days until I can host like that again regardless.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #22
Trustee

Daniel,

You have been great to host those files and my hat's off to you for your gracious offer. You're tops in my book amigo!
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
I had been working with -3 or -4 detail on my HD100 prior to the tests, now I'm doing more of my own testing with -9 or detail off completely.
Nate, have you seen a difference/improvement by turning OFF the detail? I have mysettings like at 0, or -3.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
The stock lens was used on all of the Chicago stuff (listed above). I can not speak for the oriental stuff. There are even more clips in the film transfer and the stock lens was used throughout.
I find that reassuring. I am weighing the HVX/HD100 purchase decision and am finding myself gravitating towards the HD100 - and your link (and response to my question) really is assisting in that regard.

Thank you very much.
Brian Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
-Les

ringing has always been my biggest complaint about dv cameras when using them for keying FX. Forget about the low chroma space I can deal with that but a white and black ring around your subjects is impossible to get rid of unless you use a mask tool which doesn't give you a natural key and looks more like the subject was rotoscoped. One of the more important aspepcts of HDV for me was finally having a camera where I can turn off edge enhancement for VFX work. With DV this was a little tough because the image would really start to get soft. With HDV there is a lot more resolution to play with.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
Hey Nate, have you used your HDV100 to shoot any ov your videos?
The Static-X vid, that's it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems