New HD100 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Major Player

New HD100 footage

I'm just uploading some files. The first couple are here...a couple of stills from the Olympic Center shoot. Straight out of the timeline, 30p, no grading.

http://homepage.mac.com/jimgiberti/FileSharing3.html
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Wow. Very nice. Like have a digital still cam that takes 30 picts a second. (Not liking the CA, but I gather all the HDV cams have some degree of CA and you were at max zoom, where the CA is most visible as well?)

I need to rent this camera, anyone in or near Reading, PA area?
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
Wow. Very nice. Like have a digital still cam that takes 30 picts a second. (Not liking the CA, but I gather all the HDV cams have some degree of CA and you were at max zoom, where the CA is most visible as well?)

I need to rent this camera, anyone in or near Reading, PA area?

Yeah that's why I grabbed that still, I wanted to show it's strengths and weaknesses.
I picked a full zoom high contrast dar line against very white background.
All the footage looked sweet on a Samsung HD monitor.
Very happy with the lens for stock glass.
I was really happy too with how well it looked in all the handheld stuff.
I held back on the color (Normal) and detail (Minimum).
I'm going to bring the Chroma up a couple of nptches and warm the skin tones up a bit in a new scene file...it looks better the more we shoot and test and tweak.
I'm just putting up another url with two clips.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Here are a couple of short clips.

http://homepage.mac.com/jimgiberti/FileSharing4.html
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
I picked a full zoom high contrast dar line against very white background.
Have you noticed CA at other zoom settings than full zoom? Have you tried full zoom and closed the iris down a little to see if it helps CA?
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
Have you noticed CA at other zoom settings than full zoom? Have you tried full zoom and closed the iris down a little to see if it helps CA?
Oh yeah, obviously this was real-time handheld climbing around the ice.
We've got full access for these projects but you're still working at a distance a lot. That was from 100' away getting a close up of a start, so open lris full zoom was it.

Shooting long @ a lower f/ definitely affects CA, but take a look at the Skate shot. That's real long and virtually free of CA, and given the light I was surely as open.

Obviously you don't see CA when you're shooting thiis stuff, your seeing the scene, exposure and focus.

So far it's a nice little lens, very smooth and very nice to create with...continuous iris is so great in the one take footage.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:25 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
So far it's a nice little lens, very smooth and very nice to create with...continuous iris is so great in the one take footage.
What I'm taking from the footage of the HD100 I've seen is that it doesn't have the chroma pixel dance that the HVX has, the CA is pretty rare and it could be avoided easily in controlled situations. And it's a pretty darn sharp lens/chip combo. And HDV or SSE aren't ruining anyone's lives at the moment.

Thanks for posting your shots, it's very much appreciated.

(If you happen to get a shot that shows off the JVC noise pixeldance at zero gain that would be very helpful too.)
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Major Player

Did you see that I posted a couple of clips above?
I'm just sitting in the studio late night having a beer and posting this and I just did some subtle grading on a clip and it looks very nice.

I've got a number of late night shots of the village under the natral lights with the Hollywood snow falling against all the lights.
About six angles at 11:00 PM and no SSE.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:53 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Did you see that I posted a couple of clips above?
I'm just sitting in the studio late night having a beer and posting this and I just did some subtle grading on a clip and it looks very nice.
I've got the onotite & lacing shots. They both looked good to me. It's interesting how subjective all this stuff is. I guess the next person might find something to gripe about, but I like it. Could be the flat lighting helping out. Have you shot any high contrast sunlight stuff yet? No SSE on the night stuff is good.

The next round is on me. :-)
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
I've got the onotite & lacing shots. They both looked good to me. It's interesting how subjective all this stuff is. I guess the next person might find something to gripe about, but I like it. Could be the flat lighting helping out. Have you shot any high contrast sunlight stuff yet? No SSE on the night stuff is good.

The next round is on me. :-)

I just got a chance to do a little CC on a couple of shots that I'll put up later when i get a break.
Not sure how smooth thesse 264 clips are playing back but it's really good on this end.
The graded stuff looks very nice and I'm going to work on settings this weekend to match the color I'm getting in post....it will be nicer coming ot of the camera I think.
Anyway I'll put em up.
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Double image

Here are a couple of short clips.

Jim

Thanks for posting that.

I think I have been investigating my Hd100 for double images (ghosting) in moving shots when I should have been investigating my edit system. (Canopus Edius 3.61 with NX for HDV expansion board)

I asked Tim Dashwood if he had any ideas on settings because I was getting horrible slow motion on any action shot.

This has been really interesting. Playing back your footage through quicktime is WAY smoother than importing it into a project in Edius. If I play the final frame in Edius, I can see two 'fours' on the lap counter (timer?) but with Quicktime only one!

Anyone have any similar experiences or suggestions as to what is going on here?

Cheers

Tony
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #12
Major Player

hi Tony

Hi Tony,

I also noticed ghosting on some of my footage a while back it seems to be more perceptable in a lower light situation. It also makes a big difference what frame rate you shoot. 24p needs the most care as it does with conventional film (apparently). Panning (i.e. side to side screen motion) needs particular attention. In Steve Mullen's book he gives a table of lens/pan ratios which is helpful. This is just my take on it . I'm sure someone here will be able to explain more comprehensively.

Regards Greg C

P.S. I believe Jim's footage was shot 30 fps which might explain the lack of ghosting. I think ghosting is also called judder but I haven't confirmed this yet.
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke
Hi Tony,

I also noticed ghosting on some of my footage a while back it seems to be more perceptable in a lower light situation. It also makes a big difference what frame rate you shoot. 24p needs the most care as it does with conventional film (apparently). Panning (i.e. side to side screen motion) needs particular attention. In Steve Mullen's book he gives a table of lens/pan ratios which is helpful. This is just my take on it . I'm sure someone here will be able to explain more comprehensively.

Regards Greg C

P.S. I believe Jim's footage was shot 30 fps which might explain the lack of ghosting. I think ghosting is also called judder but I haven't confirmed this yet.
Yes it was shot 30fps.
I only posted a few seconds of behind the scenes kinda stuff, it wouldn't be kosher to show the footage we were shooting for the Olympic project in advance of anyone seeing it in real life.
I was curious how smooth the playback was for others.
Some of the scenes playing out of FCP on a 23" HD monitor look nearly 3D.
We weren't covering the event per say we were shooting background for an upcoming segment on Olympic athletes.
The high speed action was interesting to work with though.
You defintitely want athat sort of action moving toward and away from you or perpendicular...even at 30p.
The close up stuff is just great as are the wide shots.
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
I'm just uploading some files. The first couple are here...a couple of stills from the Olympic Center shoot. Straight out of the timeline, 30p, no grading.

http://homepage.mac.com/jimgiberti/FileSharing3.html
Jim, that looks very clean.
What settings were you using to achieve this footage?

Also, have you seen the soccer footage that appears to be shot in 30P.
It actually looks like 60P. It's supper clean and appears to be shot at a higher fram rate.

If anyone has any insight on these settings, please let me know.

I tried the warm scene file Stephen mentioned with plenty of light and it appears noisy to me. Although, the colors are awesome.

Thanks, Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
Jim, that looks very clean.
What settings were you using to achieve this footage?

Also, have you seen the soccer footage that appears to be shot in 30P.
It actually looks like 60P. It's supper clean and appears to be shot at a higher fram rate.

If anyone has any insight on these settings, please let me know.

I tried the warm scene file Stephen mentioned with plenty of light and it appears noisy to me. Although, the colors are awesome.

Thanks, Steve

It was the first time we took the camera out.
Aside from 30/60, I believe they were cine color, cine gamma +1, Minimum detail, Black Stretch +2, everything else flat.

I've tweaked a general setting more with Stretch +3, Cine Color, Cine Gamma +1, Color +3 Detail Minimum.

Some people prefer the Standard Color Matrix, but I think it's a bit too video and too unnatural, but I'm still expeirimenting a lot and working with some tests of both.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems