HD100 Firmware Version and Capture Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 11th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD100 Firmware Version and Capture Issues

I thought it might be good to keep this in one thread so we can all post our Firmware versions and help JVC figure out where the capture (mode change) problems exists.

VERSION CHECK

SYS CPU C1590 V0202
CAM CPU C1591 V0202
VRT CPU C1594 V0114
ENC CPU C1187 V0105

PACKAGE C1615 V0201
FPGA2 C1595 V0201
FPGA3 C1596 V0101
FPGA4 C1597 V0104

I've also narrowed down the issue some. The camera does go offline and then back online when the Play button is pressed on the camera or triggered via software. However, the camera does not do this if it's in "Still" mode. So if I put the camera in Still then load up Premiere 2.0 and Cineform I am able to hit "play" from within Premiere and the camera plays fine. I can also capture using the In/Out point settings. If I click "Stop" from Premiere and then try to hit "Play" it fails.

This On/Off signal from the HD100 is definately the problem. The Mode Changing really doesn't cause a problem. I've heard that earlier versions of the camera including pre-release cameras do not go offline/online during the play initiation.

Note: To Find the Firmware Version (Found this via the Net)

1) Hold down the ‘***’ button

2) While holding down ‘***’, press and hold down ‘***’

3) Hold for 5 Seconds

4) LCD should show the ‘Advanced Menu’

5) Select ‘Version Check’

***ADMINISTRATOR NOTE:I edited out the actual buttons. I know that the information might be found elsewhere, but I've been asked by a JVC Pro manager to not let the button configuration out so that it can be googled by just anyone, and I'm going to try to respect his wishes.
Apparently, JVC has had problems in the past with end-users modifying their cameras (other models) and then crashing the computer, requiring JVC technicians to spend time doing a full system reset. My understanding is that some JVC branch offices may not repair your camera under warranty if you screw it up by changing some settings in the ADVANCED MENU or filling the pixel mask memory by running the sequence too many times. This is probably the same reason why they frown upon the end-user installing firmware updates. Tim
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Major Player

I should add that the signal 'disappears' when playing back in the deck (HD50), as well, hence confirming that it is 'missing' on the tape.

Mine is the same firmware version. To check it, the camera needs to be in the 24p mode. Problem of 'missing' signal on first tape at 20 minute mark for about 10 minutes, then picture and sound back.
Old February 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would guess that the "corrupted" tape is a different issue all together. My Mode Changing does not cause issues. It's just related to Windows finding the HD100 offline then online during initial play. You can watch the Device Manager refresh during this.
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Major Player

My Version

Hi Tim,

I had a similar thing as Jiri so I'm not sure it is part of the same issue. I think this will be an interesting survey all the same. I have the Hd101e I thought it may be a good idea to specify as they may use different versions anyway.

SYS cpu C1590 V0119
CAM cpu C1591 V0108
VTR cpu C1594 V113
ENC cpu 4187 V0105

PAKAGE C1615 V0109
FPGA2 C1595 V0109
FPGA3 C1586 V0101
FPGA4 C1597 V0104

Regards Greg C
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Trustee

Tim,
I'm checking out Cineform Connect HD 2.1.
I am having the same issues when trying to run Connect HD 2.1.
It trys to start, than stops.

I have the same HD100 firmware:

SYS CPU C1590 V0202
CAM CPU C1591 V0202
VRT CPU C1594 V0114
ENC CPU C1187 V0105

PACKAGE C1615 V0201
FPGA2 C1595 V0201
FPGA3 C1596 V0101
FPGA4 C1597 V0104

Is this the latest version?

Based on your info (thanks), here's the instructions on how I got it to work:

1. Close Cinemform Connect HD V2.1 and other capture/edit programs.

2. Cue up your tape on the HD100 and press Play/Still twice to put the camera in pause "STL".

3. Plug firewire cable into JVC HD100 and computer. Make sure your IEEE 1394 switch
on the HD100 matches the format you are capturing. EX: HDV.

4. Open Cineform HD v2.1 HDLINK and choose "Prefs" and select your preferred settings.

5. Select "Play" then select "Capture".

Last edited by Steven Thomas; February 11th, 2006 at 03:37 PM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've made a big stink around JVC regarding the firewire issue and it seems Japan has issued a new Firmware update. According to my local JVC contact the camera needs to be brought in for it to be applied. I know some have downloaded other Firmware upgrades but that doesn't seem to be an option this time.

According to the tech, this update will prevent the HD100 from going offline/online during play/stop. I would contact your local rep about getting this done.
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #7
Trustee

Tim,
Is the upgrade available now?

If so, have you had it done?

What worrys me about this issue is that it was not caught at the factory?
How could this of happened. This is not something that's hard to find.

It's as simple as plugging in your firewire cable to transfer your footage to your computer.

Thanks, Steve
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #8
JVC America

Capture Issue

Stephen,

JVC Professional is constantly working to improve their product, even after it is released to the market. Sometimes, improvements involve firmware changes. There are many variables when you consider the large number of NLE systems on the market, the different versions of those systems, and various firmware versions of the camera. Sometimes, there may be compatibiltiy issues found in the field after a product ships. It's impossible for us to test every possible combination of NLE, PC, and firmware version that's out there. That's just the reaility of it. When a problem does surface, we address and resolve each case individually.

The best way to get a problem resolved is to enlist the assistance of the JVC manager that supports your reseller. Please contact the JVC Professional reseller that you bought the camera from. Ask them to put you in touch with their JVC Pro representative to get assistance resolving your issue.

You can see an example of this in the post above from Tim. JVC's local manager has already been in touch with Tim, and our engineer in his area stands ready to resolve the problem as soon as Tim is ready.

A firmware update on the GYHD100 is something that should only be done by a JVC tech, because if it is done wrong, then all of the camera's calibration setting will be ruined.

Regards,

Carl Hicks
JVC Professional
McKinney, TX
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
A firmware update on the GYHD100 is something that should only be done by a JVC tech, because if it is done wrong, then all of the camera's calibration setting will be ruined.
I agree, however I was sent the firmware update from my dealer in UK because I live in Portugal and couldn't send my camera for assistence. JVC gave him the update and he forwarded to me by e-mail. Updating is a very simple process done using the SD card. Despite that, it is possible that something goes wrong and it's understandable that it should be done by a tech.

I asked yesterday for new updates to my dealer, I'm waitting for his reply. This is my camera firmware version, it's a PAL HD101E purchased on October:

SYS CPU C1590 V0117
CAM CPU C1591 V0108
VTR CPU C1594 V0114
ENC CPU L1187 V0105

PACKAGE C1615 V0108
FPGA2 C1595 V0108
FPGA3 C1596 V0100
FPGA4 C1597 V0103
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #10
Trustee

Carl,

Thanks for your reply.

I will contact my representative.

By the way, the HD100 is an awesome camera.

I bet sales have increased over the last couple months.
People are waking up to the fact on how well it performs.
I know I did.
Old February 15th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I havent' done the upgrade yet but as soon as I can get over to JVC I'll have them put it on. The JVC tech is very nice and I'll have him put the camera through it's paces before leaving with it.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems