More Tape Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

More Tape Questions

Ok, so I found some old threads about what tape stock to use with the HD100 but nothing seemed very concrete. I can't imagine that only JVC tape can be put in this camera, the manual says use JVC tape stock but all camera manufactures say this about their brand. I really want to use something besides JVC tape because you can't find it anywhere. Even the major online tape stock sites don't carry it.

I need tape that can be picked up anywhere so in cases where tape is needed last minute you can actually find some. I've heard the rumor about no Sony tape in the JVC but what other brands can you use with confidence?
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Major Player

It was my question and from some further research I came to this conclusion:

SONY tapes use 'wet' lubrication
Everybody else uses 'dry' lubrication

There is nothing wrong with either, the key is NOT to switch between brands. It's probably not a big deal to go from say, Panasonic to Fuji but it could be a problem if you switch between Sony and the others because the types of lubrication don't mix very well. Both sides of the debate will claim that theirs is better (of course). I like SONY and have been using them for years without problems (in my previous camera). I have started using the highest grade HDV SONY in my new HD100 but have't run enough to be able to say if it's okay. Many people use them in the Z1U (including me) without any problems.

Here, sort of an answer...:-) you still have to make a decission on your own...
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #3
Major Player

I second that, I use ONLY Sony special HDV tapes because it is readily available.
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ok, so the key being don't switch brands after you start. I already have a bunch of Sony HD tape so maybe I'll just start with it and stay with it. It is available at several stores near me so that is good.

I would think if Sony tape damaged the HD100 you would have a pretty good legal claim on your hands. 1. No where in the JVC documentation does it say you can't use "Wet" lubrication style tapes. 2. The Sony tape says this tape can be used in any VCR that displays the DV logo.
Old February 4th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Tim,

I just ordered the JVC tape at Express Video Supply. Which I believe is www.evsonline.com

It shipped out yesterday, so they have it.

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Major Player

From what I've read on someone's post, JVC told him he should use JVC or Panasonic branded tapes. I bought some cheap JVC that can be easily found for about €3, and I also bought some professional Panasonic tapes of 63 and 83 min. I believe that JVC and Panasonic tapes are probably the same.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well I want/need to shoot something today so I can't wait for EVS to ship the tapes. I might have driven to EVS to get them but they are closed today.

I can probably get some JVC brand tapes down the street but they will be standard minDV tapes. Not the ones designed for HD. Do you think these will work well enough for now? I need to go to EVS next week anyway, so I can just grab the good HD ones then. At least it will keep me from mixing tape brands or using the Sony HD tape I have.
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Major Player

Don't Use Cheap Tapes

If your shoot matters, buy good quality tapes. Whether you decide to go with SONY or the 'dry' type tape brands is up to you. It always amazes me that people are concerned about finding 'cheap' tapes. Maybe that is the root of the head problems some describe. BTW, one of the better pro tape suppliers in the UK told me that they had a bad experience with JVC tapes. My $0.02 is go either with the pro grade HDV branded Panasonic or SONY. (I am assuming that people who spend some $6k on a camera are not shooting home movies with it and quality and dropouts matter to them ...:-)

Oh yes, Fuji is also a good brand but they don't have an HDV type tape yet. Good luck.
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I have no interest in cheap tapes. I have a stack of pro sony HD tapes that I'm ready to put in this camera (plus I can get them down the street any time I need to) but I've read reports about not using Sony tape in the HD100. Who knows how true this is but it's something to think about.

The JVC Pro HD tape is not cheap by any means but now we have someone saying the JVC tape is not good. huh?

If brand switching is a problem then I'll stick to one. I can either buy the less expensive standard miniDV tape by JVC to get by this one time, then buy the pro version later this week or I can use the Sony I have now and stick with it forever.

Seems there is no credible evidence in either case.
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Holtermann
Seems there is no credible evidence in either case.
Unfortunatelly.
I went with SONY. Also, it is my understanding that switching between the 'dry' types is not a problem, so going from Panasonic to JVC ProHD should be okay....but again, as you said; no credible evidence in either case. One suggestion everyone seems to agree on is that if you have to switch between 'dry' and 'wet' brands, use a cleaning tape in between. Not a good idea to do it a lot but in a crunch... it should help.
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #11
Trustee

The JVC ME tapes (cheapies) have never given me a problem Click here. They are cheap but they always work with no dropouts. I've used the JVC ProHD tapes as well and I really don't see any difference from the standard ME tapes.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #12
Major Player

The only time I have seen any difference in tape stock was when shooting DVCAM on a DSR 570 and PD150. We shot using a mix of tape stock and then tried to play them back using my own Panasonic camera.

The TDK ME tapes played perfectly.
The Sony DVCAM tapes played, but badly. Dropout every few seconds.
JVC, Maxell, Standard Sony, Pany ME wouldn't play at all. You got a very scrambled picture, almost constant breakup.

It may be to do with my Panasonic camera, but to me it suggested that the signal was most robust on the TDKs, then Sony DVCAM and worst on the others.

Of course, a DVCAM compatible deck or camera played all the tapes fine. Zero breakup. I can never recall seeing breakup on any DVCAM recording played on an offical DVCAM product - just this strange, semi-compatible thing with Panasonic cameras. Can anyone explain it?
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage
Of course, a DVCAM compatible deck or camera played all the tapes fine. Zero breakup. I can never recall seeing breakup on any DVCAM recording played on an offical DVCAM product - just this strange, semi-compatible thing with Panasonic cameras. Can anyone explain it?
If the player is not DVCAM compatible, it just won't play DVCAM tapes. If it played some, it's really weird, perhaps those were recorded on the DSR170 in DV mode. Anything from DSR570 is DVCAM (no option to record in DV) and it simply won't play on a DV-only machine. It has nothing to do with tape brands or quality. I used to have DSR500 and used mostly SONY tapes but on occassion also small Fuji (here we go, mixing wet and dry lubricants) with absolutely no problems. But DSR500/570 are broadcast quality cameras with robust heads and tape transfer. Also, it's SD. The JVC is of course HD and I don't think the heads and transport are as solid as those of the Sony bigger cameras. They would be also more sensitive to dropouts because of their long GOP.
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
If the player is not DVCAM compatible, it just won't play DVCAM tapes. If it played some, it's really weird, perhaps those were recorded on the DSR170 in DV mode. Anything from DSR570 is DVCAM (no option to record in DV) and it simply won't play on a DV-only machine. It has nothing to do with tape brands or quality.
Panasonic cameras WILL play DVCAM footage. I've tried on more than one camera too, but it is unreliable. I also think every Sony DV camera (I've tried 5 or 10) will play DVCAM recordings perfectly. Canon's will not play DVCAM at all.

It is definitely to do with difference in tape stock(on Panasonics). We tested it because my DP didn't want to use anything but Sony DVCAM, so I had to prove my findings with the (dirt cheap) TDK tapes. It was definitely in DVCAM mode on the PD150 aswell, using the same camera at the same time and just changing the stock. I made sure the tape was the only varible. Afterwards I tried a different batch of TDKs and they were not as good as the first. It may be a batch difference, I have had that with DVD-Rs.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #15
Regular Crew

We have been healthfully selling the Sony HDV tapes with the JVC camera with no reports of issues. As well, using them in our rental department.

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems