A good case/bag under $500? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 5th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A good case/bag under $500?

I was hoping that somebody could point me in the direction of a good case or bag for the HD100; I saw JVC's hard shipping case for $500 at B&H, but I was hoping for a cheaper alternative if there was one. I don't plan on shipping the camera anywhere; the only travel it should be doing is in the same vehicle as me, back seat floorboard or trunk, whichever seems to be the safest once I try to put the thing in. I know I probably shouldn't skimp on the case, but I'm just getting started and want to try to limit how much I'm putting out right now, so if there's something cheaper, it'd help.
Timothy McLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Major Player

case for HD100

Tim,

You can't beat Portbrace. You could get a great bag for around $300 or so.

I would go their website, www.portbrace.com, and check out what they have. Great stuff. I have about 4 of their bags. Very durable.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Major Player

i'll second the portabrace. i have a ctc-3 bag and am very happy with it. it seems to offer a good deal of protection from general moving about and accomodates the camera with dionic90 attached. it also has pockets for my titan 70 charger and g2 wireless system and all the little odds and ends i like to keep with the camera. i got mine from b&h with a rain slicker for about $280usd. figures it is cheaper now...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Portabrace here, so that's 3 tips, 3 times Portabrace... ;-)
I've the ctc-3 as well, works with my XL-H1.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #5
Major Player

I prefer the waterproof and sturdier Pelican case, which can hold a bunch of stuff and can be cut to fit the HD100. portabags are prones to damage, but are great for a quick trip without risks. I would also recommend a rainslipper to protect from rain and sand if in desert.
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at the portabrace and pelican options.
Timothy McLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Petrol also recently showed a prototype for a bag for the HD100 that looked very nice at DV Expo (for local transportation only, not for shipping). Sachtler recently bought the Petrol line and will be selling their bags - the HD100 bag is called the PCUB-HD, and supposedly will be available sometime in Feb (it's not available yet). They say they will have a promotion when it comes out, giving a free rain cover with the bag. I had bought a Porta-Brace DVO-2U for my HD100, and while it works I don't recommend it (won't fit with the AB battery, for example). The Porta-Brace CTC-3 others mentioned I'm sure is a better choice. I'm planning on getting the Petrol bag when it becomes available.
Tom Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #8
Major Player

I second all of the above...

Portabrace CTC-3 is excellent for your daily use.

Pellican is unbeatable for air travel (if you have to check your camera - I try not to) and for the outdoors in wild places (jungle, desert, ocean).

Petrols are good too, I have a fabulous tripod bag but I haven't seen the camera bag for the HD100.
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Major Player

We use Pelican for any tough travel situations (when shipping it's a must), and we do have the Petrol, for everything else with our HD100.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #10
Major Player

I also have the CTC-3 bag, but the CTC-2 is also suitable. Check this acessories list for the HD100, it has a bag section:
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2...es.pdf?id=6134
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #11
Regular Crew

hello ever one

I was in Holland last week and I vest company in Rotterdam city , the company is called CAMKADE and they made case and rain cover for very low price , I get new case for jvc-hd100 only 140 euro with out tax , rain cover also in the same price , the quality of these products its very well compeers with PortaBroce , I have very expansive PortaBrose for my jvc-dv500 and I see no point for high price to this company so if you see the quality of CAMKADE equipment you will fell better then other , you can see the site of these company and see how case look like and you will understand why I say that .
Mouayed Zabtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #12
Major Player

Since I live in Rotterdam and never heard of this company, I'm very interested in it. A simple Google search gave me no info, can you please provide me some more info like the web-address or so? Thanks a lot!
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #13
Major Player

Mouayed didn't have the right name/spelling. I think that he meant Camrade. I was looking at them earlier too, especially for the rain cover - don't really like PortaBrace version of it, which I bought already but I don't think I'll use (anyone interested? brand new never used)

http://www.camrade.com/
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #14
Major Player

Jiri,
What don't you like about the portabrace raincover? I was thinking about getting one but now I'm not too sure. P.S. how much do you want for it? I'm in UK...
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The camrade cases look interesting, but I guess you'd have to import them if you want one. I'll probably grab the portabrace ctc-3, but would also like to hear Jiri's opinion of the raincover. Thanks again for the help!
Timothy McLin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems