JVC Lens Quality and Field of View at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #1
New Boot

JVC Lens Quality and Field of View

How would you compare the image quality of the Fujinon 16X lens to the Canon and Panasonic lens? Do you miss Image stabilization? I cannot affort the Wide angle lens but is that significantly better image quality that all the standard zooms available (of all companies)?

Also I have not been able to find the 35mm FOV of the two Fujunon Lens. Could someone please post it for me. I know for the Canon, the wide angle starts around 37mm, and for the panasonic it starts around 32mm.

Thanks for your help !

Arjun
Arjun Bhuyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

I personally haven't compared the qualitative image quality of those other lenses.. I don't think anyone has done anything more than resolution tests.

I don't miss image stabilization because a well-balance camera stabilizes itself. When the centre of gravity is on the shoulder, it is very easy to stabilize. Full size pro cameras don't have stabilizers, but it is a must on cameras like the DVX100, HVX200, and Z1.

EDIT: See post #4 below for the exact magnification factors.

Here's a recent post of mine explaining how I arrived at the multiplication factors for 16mm, 35mm motion film and 35mm SLR..
http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showpost.p...2&postcount=21
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #3
Trustee

Here is a link to the HD100 shooting angle calculation table. Could be of interest to you.

Click here for PDF
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Here is a link to the HD100 shooting angle calculation table. Could be of interest to you.

Click here for PDF
Stephen,

When did JVC add this document? I've been searching for the actual dimensions of the HD100 CCD. Bill Turner told me it was 5.22mm x 2.95mm.
That document says it is 4.864mm x 2.739mm. This is what I originally thought: that they crop a 4x3 the way Canon does.

I'll have to change my calculations back based on this confirmed information.

It should also be noted that the column on the right probably refers to 35mm SLR still photography, not the gate size of 35mm motion picture film.

HERE'S PROPER NUMBERS:
The magnification factor of 1/3" to 35mm motion picture film is around 4.58x.
Therefore the wide end of the Fuji 16x would equal the FOV of a 25mm on a 35mm motion picture camera.

The HD100's sensor, compared to 35mm SLR, has a multiplication factor is 7.5x. Therefore the wide end of the Fuji 16x would equal the FOV of a 41mm lens on a 35mm SLR camera.
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #5
New Boot

Tim and Steve, thats just what I needed, thank you! Seems a bit limited on the wide end, Need to think more about adapters I guess. Any recommendations?
Arjun Bhuyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bhuyan
Tim and Steve, thats just what I needed, thank you! Seems a bit limited on the wide end, Need to think more about adapters I guess. Any recommendations?
Keep in mind that the Fuji 0.82x wide converter creates an effective focal length of 4.5mm. Therefore, with the wide converter, you could get 20mm equivalent to 35mm motion picture film, and 34mm equivalent to 35mm SLR.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems