Slo-Mo FINAL ANSWER? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke
I feel sorry for trhe poor buggers reading that who have no idea what half of those abbrevationa mean. There should be a Sticky on that i.e Abbr. What do you think guys? In fact I may chuck a thread up?

Greg
I agree with you, I think Daniel was making a joke about that. There are lots of abbreviations that many of us don't know what they mean, still more when English is not your language.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #32
Major Player

Edius?

How about in Edius? What is the best procedure to make nice slowmotion with 480/60p footage on the 720/30p timeline?

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #33
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Laszlo Horvath]How about in Edius? What is the best procedure to make nice slowmotion with 480/60p footage on the 720/30p timeline?

Laszlo

I don't know if this is what you mean, but you can export your 480/60p footage through ProCoder Express and convert it to 720/30p. Although I really cannot see the point. If I place the 720 copy on top of the original and toggled the video preview on and off to show each one in turn and really cannot see any difference!.
Am I missing something here? If so, someone please tell me!

Cheers

Tony
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #34
Major Player

[QUOTE=Tony Goodman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Horvath
How about in Edius? What is the best procedure to make nice slowmotion with 480/60p footage on the 720/30p timeline?

Laszlo

I don't know if this is what you mean, but you can export your 480/60p footage through ProCoder Express and convert it to 720/30p. Although I really cannot see the point. If I place the 720 copy on top of the original and toggled the video preview on and off to show each one in turn and really cannot see any difference!.
Am I missing something here? If so, someone please tell me!

Cheers

Tony

No Tony you don't miss anything. I tried this too before, and now I just use the 480/60p footage on the 720/30p timeline AS IS.
What I tried to find out is, if any possibility to upconvert 480/60p footage to 720/60p. Edius is not support 720/60p
Or, convert 30p to 60p is unpossible?
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Laszlo

Yes. it is impossible with Edius NX for HDV but you can record the 720/60p
analogue signal through Edius SP for HDV.
Unfortunately it is only available in a desktop configuration and sells in the UK for about £3000. So not really an option for weddings just yet, but I am convinced that people are working on it as we speak. This new breed of camera will be inspiring companies to come up with solutions. There is also of course Wafian but that again is for studio use and even more expensive.

I am having a look at the HDV upgrade for DV Rack but even if that works (and I cannot believe it will record 720/60p) it is still too awkward for live events.

No, the only way is as you are doing it right now, but you could do what Tim suggested and record in 576/50p. The picture is better but I do not know about the 'flicker' problems in the US as Tim mentioned. I have tried it the other way here in he UK and it seems OK. but use 576/50p anyway.

I think we will have to wait about another one to two years but I ams ure it will happen, maybe with Focus Enhancements?

Cheers

Tony
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #36
Major Player

Thanks Tony!

So, let say if I use 576/50p outside daytime, I don't need to worry any flickering am I right?
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #37
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Laszlo Horvath]Thanks Tony!

So, let say if I use 576/50p outside daytime, I don't need to worry any flickering am I right?

Lazslo

Should be fine outdoors, but am willing to be corrected.

You can still tell it is SD and not HDV but as I assume you will only be wanting to change this for slo-mo sequences (bouquet toss/confetti throw)you should be OK.

It's a bit like a 'slight of hand' trick, the change of speed should distract all but the very observant from the change in rez. On top of that I normally put a bit of smooth blur on slo-mo, or on a very few ocasions even a bit of soft focus if making a 'dreamy' sequence, which covers it even more . Not ideal but a half decent work around. I have asked others for a better solution but no one has replied with anything yet, so I will carry on with this.

Works for me.

Tony
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Goodman
Laszlo
No, the only way is as you are doing it right now, but you could do what Tim suggested and record in 576/50p. The picture is better but I do not know about the 'flicker' problems in the US as Tim mentioned. I have tried it the other way here in he UK and it seems OK. but use 576/50p anyway.
Tony
The flicker is visible when using fluorescent lights (neon tubes) and shooting at a speed different from the frequency of the electricity used to run the lights.
This is visible in the LCD display of the camera. You have to pay attention but it's very visible. The same is true for shooting 24fps in 720p, in the US since we use current at 60Hz. The neon tubes flicker by nature, their rate is different from the shutter speed in the camera hence the disturbing effect in the footage.

If you are in Europe or other countries where the current is at 50Hz and you're shooting in 50P you don't have to worry.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Can ANYONE please explain to me how you can really take a 720x480 SD clip and make it into a 1280x720 HDV clip? Where does the extra pixels come from? If you can create an HDV clip from an SD clip why would you need to buy an HDV camera?

Yes, in Edius I can convert from 720x480 to 1280x720 and my video info tells me I have a 1280x720 clip in fact I can make an HDV 720p and HDV 1080i and lots more besides...but when I play these clips on the timeline, side by side to the original SD clip it looks no different! and it certainly does not look anything like as sharp as an original HDV-HD capture.

Am I not really understanding what is going on here or is this a case of 'The Emperor's New Clothes?

Someone please explain

Tony
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems