Questions on the HD100U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #16
Trustee

The 'baby-4' are all right

Never used the new Cannon, but there are workflow problems, lens problems (ie - just not as responsive as most shooters like), and it does not shoot true 24p.

As for HVX - you can't - as of yet - actually buy one. And, I have read many reports that the noise level on the HVX is similar to the DVX (which many people consider to be a very noisey camera).

I see very little noise on the JVC. The fact is, all three cameras (including the Sony Zu1) are excellant for their 10 grand or less price point, but each has their problems. I think it depends on what you intend to use the camera for.

Personally, T thought the price was right for the JVC (almost $5,000 less then the Cannon, or HVX (w/Lap top + 2 8 gig cards). Rmember if you order one now from most dealers (before end of Feb), you get a coupon for a thousand dollar battery pack/charger system.

John
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent
all three cameras (including the Sony Zu1)
You just reminded me that the HVX sales pitch we saw included a comparison of the HVX200 vs. Sony resolution and the guy said... the HVX is keeping up pretty well considering how many pixels the Sony's chip is.

He said the Sony was slower than the HVX because they had more pixels. That's the trade Panasonic chose to make. What's weird is in a perfect world it seemed like you might be able to dial in -3 gain on the panasonic to decrease noise but make it slower. It's "almost" as if +3 gain is labled 0 gain and they are saying "we've got a more light sensitive camera". Dial up the gain in the Sony to match the noise level in the Panasonic and I'd be curious to see if it's still slower. (warning I'm not a technician)

Golf club manufacturers did that. They started delofting clubs and saying "see, ours go farther". Kinda sneaky.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
It's "almost" as if +3 gain is labled 0 gain and they are saying "we've got a more light sensitive camera".
Oh yeah, the old -3dB issue... it has been a trick of the manufacturers for years and discussed among shooters to death. I am actually suprised that ANYONE would bring it back - did Panasonic actually include the -3dB setting on their HVX? It only makes comparisons between cameras more difficult, as that way there is no reference point and salesmen can argue the sensitivities of cameras for ever.
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
id Panasonic actually include the -3dB setting on their HVX?
No - we were wishing they did.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Shindler
They also had the br-hd50 that I got to take home... One thing that bothers me about it though, is if you rewind it all the way to the beginning, it will begin to record over your tape! I couldn't figure how to turn it off since they didn't give me a menu, and the JVC reps didn't even know about it. Any one else that has had a chance to play with this encounter this problem?
Peter,

Our BR-HD50 has NEVER done that, I would have freaked if it had. That's not normal as far as I know, I'll check into it anyway, I have the deck & docs at work.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #21
Major Player

Hey Steve I'll Shoot you an e-mail and will hook up. Love to check out that new camera. I was going to buy one but a $6100 quote was a little high. I think EVS could do better.
The open house was great. Just a few people in a room and all the time you want to ask question and play with the cameras.
Love to know if I could make a living here before I sell my house.
If anyone is in the market to purchase a 5 grand plus camera, They owe it to themselves to check out the JVChd100. Simply blown away by it. VERY sharp.
I wonder how it looks in SD?
Also what would be a good tripod for this camera?

Thanks.

P.S. Steve how do I get your e-mail?
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems