Unclear on current SSE - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #16
Wrangler

Interpolation, in the context of the HVX, is the concept of having a sensor of X size and then processing (interpolating) the image to result in an image of Y size.

In camera, interpolating almost always means that the image is being upsized to a higher resolution...but understand, there are no free lunches. Interpolation doesn't magically add resolution that the sensor didn't capture in the first place. "Good" interpolation usually just means that the act of resizing didn't add any bad artifacts.

In the HVX, because the camera didn't seem to have resolution numbers better than 600 lines H or V, people are speculating that when Panasonic says they have a native 1080p sensor, they are arriving by that claim with interpolation.

One of the JVC's selling points all along was that the sensor truly has a grid of 1280x720 photosites, and that there is no interpolation in the camera DSP. That's considered a good thing.

JVC tackled a technical hurdle (1280x720 CCD scanned at 60p) at the expense of the problem of SSE. Other manus sidestepped the problem by either making interlaced CCDs at higher res (Sony, Canon), or prog scanning CCDs at lower res (Panasonic).
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #17
Major Player

Yes, interpolation is just a fancy term for resampling. Many cheaper digital cameras do this to claim having a higher megapixel count.

The process works by blending adjacent pixels together. Well, it's not that simple, there's more to it but you kind of get the idea. The only issue is that you can achieve pretty much the same using Photoshop or certain NLEs.

As Nate says, there's no extra information added.

I'm guessing this is the main reason Panasonic hasn't told us the exact sensor pixel resolution of the HVX.
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
What the heck is interpolation? And why isn't it on this camera?
Mathematics. To estimate a value of (a function or series) between two known values. In other words they use mathematical equations in order to produce the resolution.

When you go to buy a desktop scanner they advertise it's resolution to to 2400x2400 but the reality is that it's really 600x1200 optical resolution and 2400x2400 interpolated. Same thing on digital still camera's they have a max optical resolution and then if you continue to zoom it becomes "digital" zooming or interpolation of the image.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Would you go as far as to say that the overall resolution in the hd100 is therefore superior to the hvx200's? I'm not certain that can be verified until I see the images side by side, but I have a hunch that DVCPro HD will have HDV beat in all aspects of picture quality. As much as I hate admitting that, being a hd100 owner.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Would you go as far as to say that the overall resolution in the hd100 is therefore superior to the hvx200's?
I would. I was involved in the 4 camera test Adam Wilt conducted in January. We saw it with our own eyes, via the resolution charts we shot.

Adam also summarizes as such in his writeup for DV.com.
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Would you go as far as to say that the overall resolution in the hd100 is therefore superior to the hvx200's? I'm not certain that can be verified until I see the images side by side, but I have a hunch that DVCPro HD will have HDV beat in all aspects of picture quality. As much as I hate admitting that, being a hd100 owner.
It can be verified. Putting the camera's in motion will reveal the true resolution. We already know the HD-100 is 1280x720 and it will hold resolution when the camera is in motion.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems