What Deck to compliment the HD100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 13th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
I use a sony hc1 to playback and for fcp to capture footage I gather with the hd100. It works fine for both the 720p and 1080i. I've also used the HVR-M10U VTR first hand to capture 720p hdv footage gathered from the hd100 as a solution.The jvc deck is fine if you want to lay back in hdv or standard dv. I recommend that you try both a jvc and sony deck out and see for yourself. But as I said before-if you want bang for your buck adn cross compatability. sony is cornering this aspect of the hdv market. I will reiterate once again though, that sony cannot playback or layback or capture, 24p footage.
I would be interested how this is accomplished. I just got a HVRM10U and it WILL NOT pass 720p30 video over the FireWire. The audio comes through though.
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #17
Regular Crew

The av passes fine via firewire. Even the 720p/30 footage. I don't know exactly how it's accomplished. But I'm gald that some of us are able to reap the benefits of it. All I can say is check your settings. in your editing suite. I use FCP. May have something to do with it. Also works great with imovie.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #18
New Boot

I am reposting this because I really need to decide on the products I need and get them purchased before the end of the month.

"Okay, is there a deck I can use that can input from the HD100 that would allow me to output to DVC Pro (25 & 50)?

I am quoting this off a tech spec sheet from an itv production dept.

And what format would you suggest I shoot, capture and edit to get the best results for broadcast?

Last question - If I install the Kona LH will this allow me to capture, and 'layback' from the HD100, and in what fromats?"

many thanks
Ray
Ray Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #19
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan
"Okay, is there a deck I can use that can input from the HD100 that would allow me to output to DVC Pro (25 & 50)?
Not sure I'm following what you're saying.

Are you saying you want to shoot on the HD100, and have a deck that can create a DVCPRO25 or DVCPRO50 tape from that footage?

If so, first recognize that the HD100 is primarily an HD camera, and DVCPRO25 and DVCPRO50 are of course standard-def formats.

You could shoot in DV on the HD100 and you should be able to play those tapes on a DVCPRO deck (with an adapter) but that doesn't get you to DVCPRO25 or DVCPRO50.

I think you could connect the HD100 via its component outputs, to the component inputs of a DVCPRO50 deck; that should allow you to convert HD100 footage to DV50. I don't recall offhand if the HD100 allows downconverting on its component output jacks or not; if the HD100 allows you to output an SD signal even from HD footage then this would work. But now that I think about it, I'm not sure that the camera can do that...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #20
New Boot

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your response. I suppose the problem here is my lack of knowledge!

Basically, what I want to do is shoot with the HD100 - Capture with FCP (either through firewire or using the Kona LH - I'm not sure if I need the Kona) - Edit in FCP - and put the finished product back out onto either DVCAM, DVC PRO, Betacam SX, Betacam SP or Digital Betacam.

Simple eh…!?

So all I want is a deck to be able to deliver one of these, or does the HD101 accept any of these format back?

I would appreciate any help.

Ray
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
I don't recall offhand if the HD100 allows downconverting on its component output jacks or not;
It does. Only on playback though, not live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan"
1-"Okay, is there a deck I can use that can input from the HD100 that would allow me to output to DVC Pro (25 & 50)?

2-And what format would you suggest I shoot, capture and edit to get the best results for broadcast?

Last question - 3-If I install the Kona LH will this allow me to capture, and 'layback' from the HD100, and in what formats?"
There's too many questions I have after reading yours...you don't specify SD broadcast or HD broadcast. I'll answer what I think you mean, I guess.

#1-There's only 2 decks that read 24pHDV from the JVC. That's the BR50 and the CU-VH1. Both only allow either DVCAM or DV as an alternate format. So you can get the BR50 and layback to DVCAM 25. Or HDV. That's it.

#2-For SD broadcast (what I have to assume you mean)? Shooting HDV and downconverting later, depending on how you downconvert, often yields results better than shooting DV25 in the first place. If I shoot/capture HDV, and convert media to DV50 or 10bit uncompressed via Apple's Compressor, I get incredible results, but it takes time and extra work.

I myself, if I had a Kona/Blackmagic card with analog inputs, would experiment with shooting HDV, then capturing SD via the deck/camera's (downconverted) analog outputs to DV50. In theory this should give you a very nice DV50.

#3-The Kona LH allows for SDI/HD-SDI in and out (for going to Digibeta, HDCAM, D5, or DVCPRO HD). It also has analog component in and out. It can handle many different codecs. If you're shopping for a card, this one is VERY flexible. The way you word your question though makes it hard to answer...a card doesn't work in formats, it just allows certain connections and from there you decide which formats work best with a given connection type. Examples:

1-Analog component (which can be either HD or SD) is good for going to/from almost ANY format, but is a tiny bit less clean than digital. You'd use it to go to/from BetacamSP in almost every case, or use analog component HD as a universal common ground to go between disparate HD formats/decks.

2-HDSDI/SDI is an uncompressed digital connection, in both HD (HD-SDI) or SD (SDI). Often you use it with more modern decks like a Digibeta (using regular SDI) or HDCAM (using HD-SDI). It's nice because sometimes it will carry your audio and timecode also (depending on the card or deck).
I don't get to use it as much as I'd like!
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #22
HDV Cinema

Quote:
I am reposting this because I really need to decide on the products I need and get them purchased before the end of the month.

I am quoting this off a tech spec sheet from an itv production dept.
OK -- you want to shoot HDV, capture it, and edit it as HD.

Then you want to export the HD timeline as SD using the DVCPRO25 and DVCPRO50 codecs. Now you want to write this to DVCPRO25 and DVCPRO50 tape. You'll need a second deck. It will need to be from Panasonic and it can be a FireWire deck. You can rent this deck.
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #23
Trustee

Or you could render the timeline out to elementary streams (DVCPro50) on a firewire or USB2 PC formatted external drive and deliver that way.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
The av passes fine via firewire. Even the 720p/30 footage. I don't know exactly how it's accomplished. But I'm gald that some of us are able to reap the benefits of it. All I can say is check your settings. in your editing suite. I use FCP. May have something to do with it. Also works great with imovie.
This is interesting. I have the most recent version of FCP5 and it would not input the HD-100 footage over the FireWire when played back thru the Sony HDV deck. As soon as I connected the HD-100 camera itself, I was able to capture without a problem.

I have been thru the Sony manual and can find nothing to help me (that might be my fault although). As an experiment I ran the Sony deck's FireWire thru a Canopus A/D converter and the same thing happened. The Sony deck plays back SD DVCam perfectly (I don't have any Sony HDV video at the moment) but goes black with the JVC 30p HDV. The analog outputs and the LCD do play the video however.

Is there a setting I might be missing?

Thanks for your help.
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #25
Major Player

The Sony deck is not compatible with the JVC material. The only area both agree is DVCAM, but no HDV compatibility is available as far as I know.

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #26
Regular Crew

try bringing the footage in through imovie.

Depending on which version of imovie you have you may need to trash it's prefs and then see if bringing in the footage through fcp will work. I assue you though that the 720p30 footage can be imported through a sony deck.

Think about it-why would you be able to playback the footage in the camera but not import it. That would not make much sense.

I'll take a look at my settings when I'm back in my studio and will let you know if there are any revelations.

As I may have mentioned I own both the hd100, a z1 and I use the hc1 as my import/playback deck for both.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #27
Barry Wan Kenobi

Doesn't make any sense though. The Sony products do not output 720p HDV over the firewire. None of 'em do. Not the cameras, not the decks. Sony HDV products cannot input or output JVC HDV via firewire.

Are you perhaps capturing analog through a Kona or something?

Here's the quote from the Sony HC1 manual, page 101:
Your camcorder can play back pictures recorded in the HDV 720/30p format, but cannout output it from the HDV/DV Interface (i.LINK) jack.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #28
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen

OK -- you want to shoot HDV, capture it, and edit it as HD.

Then you want to export the HD timeline as SD using the DVCPRO25 and DVCPRO50 codecs. Now you want to write this to DVCPRO25 and DVCPRO50 tape. You'll need a second deck. It will need to be from Panasonic and it can be a FireWire deck. You can rent this deck.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply - can you let me know what the Panasonic deck is please?

And if I capture directly from the camera then I would possibly only need the one deck?

many thanks
Ray
Old February 15th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply - can you let me know what the Panasonic deck is please?

And if I capture directly from the camera then I would possibly only need the one deck?

many thanks
Ray
Do a simple Google search... or go to B&H Photo & Video website..
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0
Old February 15th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Doesn't make any sense though. The Sony products do not output 720p HDV over the firewire. None of 'em do. Not the cameras, not the decks. Sony HDV products cannot input or output JVC HDV via firewire.

Are you perhaps capturing analog through a Kona or something?

Here's the quote from the Sony HC1 manual, page 101:
Your camcorder can play back pictures recorded in the HDV 720/30p format, but cannout output it from the HDV/DV Interface (i.LINK) jack.
This should be in the M10 manual although I couldn't find it. I did find some very bad mistakes regarding other operations. Fortunately my dealer will take the deck back and I will replace it with the JVC deck. I'll be getting an HC1 just to have a Sony HDV compatible something around.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems