I need a good audio capture card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 28th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #1
New Boot

I need a good audio capture card

I am making a list of things to get with my jvc hd cam and I have decided that I am going to buy a capture card so I can shoot in HD and down-convert to achieve an stronger source of video than dv... ok with that said I am guessing that I will need a separate audio capture card ... or do I any help will be greatly appreciated
Rod Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'm not sure I understand exactly what your plan is.

Are you planning to capture analog video and audio using the built-in downconversion of the camera? I would not recommend this as NTSC and PAL will only output via the composite out and not component. Also, this would add additional and unnecessary DtoA and AtoD conversion.

If you are planning to capture HD from the analog video & audio outs, then there is a distinct advantage if you are not recording to tape first. The thing is, you won't need a separate audio digitizing card because most of the leading analog card manufacturers (AJA, Blackmagic, etc.) include audio on their cards.

If you are recording to tape and then digitizing later, I see no real quality advantage to capturing from the component analog outs other than real-time workflow at 60P.
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #3
New Boot

I am going to purchase a Blackmagic card so I can down-convert, because the final product needs to be in SD not HD... but I want to shoot everything in HD because the video source is stronger.
Rod Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Finch
I am going to purchase a Blackmagic card so I can down-convert, because the final product needs to be in SD not HD... but I want to shoot everything in HD because the video source is stronger.
Well, in that case, you won't need a separate audio capture card.
Which model of decklink are planning to buy?
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'd like to follow-up on Tim's advice. A special soundcard won't help much during the ingestion process, especially if you're working with the AJA or Blackmagic cards.

A high quality sound card helps with the audio mixing/editing. If you're planning on really tweaking your audio, 5.1 mastering, mixing sound FX, etc, than a good sound card will help. I'd check with your NLE package and confirm what is compatible, but I hear great things about the M-Audio cards. I don't do any fancy mixing, so my integrated sound card works fine. I'm not against any SoundBlaster model, but they sure are resource hogs and full of bloatware.

Hope this helps.
Jason Hamby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems