Ok Jvc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 28th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Ok Jvc

Got to give credit where credit is due, and so far JVC has been as responsive as I could have hoped with things.

Specifically today the IDX package arrived. When the coupons were issued to the dealer where we got ours, the only one that was screwed up was, of course, ours. Because of the extra time involved, JVC overnighted a new coupon to us, and the rep, Diana Janos expedited it when we overnighted it back.

So it was only about 2 weeks total time once the coupons arrived...a lot better than the estimated 4-6 weeks.

So now, regarding the SSE issue, that's in process too and so far the response has been equally good...so far, but I really appreciate their attitude and responsibility...all three of the folks I've been in contact with.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well I don't have the HD100 but I do have a 5000U and I have been amazed by the customer service I've gotten from JVC Midwest. Fast, efficient and reasonable (as reasonable as can be I guess). I told a rep I met once they may have just turned me into a JVC guy for life just based on the service.
2 thumbs up!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Major Player

I sure hope my IDX kit gets here that fast. I'm in the 2nd week now and it'd be nice to have power for this.
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
Well I don't have the HD100 but I do have a 5000U and I have been amazed by the customer service I've gotten from JVC Midwest. Fast, efficient and reasonable (as reasonable as can be I guess). I told a rep I met once they may have just turned me into a JVC guy for life just based on the service.
2 thumbs up!
Don
I once had a belt break on an S-VHS deck. Local repair shop wanted $75 to even look at it. Called JVC and they faxed me a blow-up of that part of the deck so I could see clearly what had to be done. It had the part number and I ordered the belt for $4.95. It came in a few days and with the diagram it was simply to install.

Back in the 80's JVC had a very serious consumer product QC problems and terrible consumer service. They were better at OEMing to American companies. Eventually, there were no American compnies and they invested big in the USA. Even ran a full page ad commiting to better service.

At the same time -- they were selling very sophisticated S-VHS decks in Japan that never made it here. They had everything Panasonic's 7600 and 770 S-VHS pro decks had. They have always had a very strong reputation in Japan.

In the pro world things have generally been much better. 8 years ago, JVC had a Standard Definition KY-D29U camera had 768 x 986 CCDs. Hmmm.
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Jim,
Do you mean that JVC is going to recitfy the SSE problem? I have had a different experience with JVC living in Canada? I have had nothing but problems working through their phone trees, leaving messages, and not being called back. My primary dealer is in the same boat. He can't seem to get through to JVC when it comes to addressing concerns. At first JVC was very helpful until they became swammped with complaints regarding the camera's issues. My dealer has opted to do the advocation on my behalf, and though it still takes longer, things seem to get taken care of eventually.
I'd like to know what they are doing to eliminate the SSE if there are any updates. It's still very prevalent on my camera despite firmware upgrades.

Thanks.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
It's still very prevalent on my camera despite firmware upgrades.
Albert, could you share your firmware version and S/N here please? I think that everybody is looking for patterns. Although, I must say, it starts to look like there are none. People report older cameras without SSE, newer cameras with it, the 'mode changing' issue with various firmware versions, etc. JVC should be sorting through this mess but they won't so we may as well try to do it ourselves.
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Ky-d29

Steve,

I bought a KY-D29 when they first came out, and it was great -- made me a good living for over five years. Docked it to the BR-D40 D-9 deck which gave me "poor man's Digibeta" with 4:2:2. With lens, dockable deck and viewfinder it was around $16,000 and was basically as good as anything in the SD world back then, even rivaled the BVW-D600 which cost many times more.

Still is a beautiful camera, although I need to run the pixel masking routine to kill one hot pixel. It had the best dynamic range and vertical resolution (both because the double row CCDs) of anything back then.

With it, I shot what is now the most popular music video on the Web, "America We Stand As One" which can be seen at www.americawestandasone.com. Well over 5 million downloads, and that was two months ago. It was directed my Rob Bowman who did the X-Files movie and Reign of Fire. I learned a lot working with him.

Included in that site is VH-1's parody piece on the video, mostly making fun of the patriotic, thus politically incorrect, subject matter and the special effects. But Paul McCartney happened across this video because his music producer produced the underlying song, and he went nuts over it and took it with him, what a treat to entertain him for a change. He made at least a dozen phone calls to Dennis Madalone who was the singer/songwriter.

Dennis is a stunt coordinator now working on "Without A Trace" but also did most of the Star Treks. He's a great guy who's donated every penny made off of this video to charities for the families of the police and firemen lost in 9-11.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Jim,

I'm with you on the JVC support. Diana, Carl, and Ken at JVC sales/service have been very professional and quick to help us find a solution to our SSE just days before a big shoot. We had another small issue as well but it was NOT camera function related it was more to do with packaging/shipping methods. But on this issue JVC also worked with us in finding a good resolution, our company President was happy, and in turn I got to work another day. Always a good thing.

I did not share with this forum (or any other) the SSE we had with our HD100 in order to give JVC time to correct the problem. Our case was pretty bad, but we also purchased what I believe to be an early unit, right after the cameras release and before adjustment procedures at JVC had been fine tuned. The camera we did use for our shoot produced excellent results with no SSE and has convinced us to buy yet another. I can't wait to show the results of this last shoot, very sweet! But as with most jobs it will be 4-5 weeks.

JVC deserves credit when credit is due. They not only have built the absolute best camera in its price range, they have supported it just as they might a $30k camera. That's very impressive.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems