New article on HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Major Player

New article on HD100

Nice little article. The camera continues to pick up momentum.

http://www.studiodaily.com/filmandvi...ssue/6088.html
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Thanks for the link - the video that's w/ the article is nice too!

John
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Good read but another example of a poorly written article. Why don't these authors do their homework a bit and add some substance to the article. At the time this was released they could have added a paragraph at the end explaining that there ARE other native editing solutions that don't require the $2000 card. passing on.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Man we should invite him over here to this forum to swap stories and help with his workflow. Anybody know the guy in question?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Man we should invite him over here to this forum to swap stories and help with his workflow.
Yeah, like the $80.00 HDVxDV :)
BTW, I was puzzled by his continuos mention of MiniDV as a limiting factor, the weakness of red etc. Is he assuming that the encoding is the same of SD cameras? I thought that the transport mechanism wasn't the issue in color loss. The codec is the main responsible. Unless I misunderstood what he means.
I know that MPEG2 compression is not as good as capturing from the component output, I'm just curious about the MiniDV-specific issues.
Anybody can elaborate on this?

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Right. Just another example (no offense to the author) of a misinformed unqualified person publishing an article.

Always take what you read with a grain of salt and find other articles (data) to support it before running with it.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #7
Wrangler

I was looking for a "page 2" but I guess that's it. It seems a bit more like a press release than an article.
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I was looking for a "page 2" but I guess that's it. It seems a bit more like a press release than an article.
I think he may have had a point about the post software solutions being a giant pain in the butt compared to using an AJA card and importing that way. He clearly mentions that he tried Lumiere - I'd assume he looked into the other software solutions too.

Is there evidence that the software solutions degrade quality or cause other issues as opposed to coming in via AJA?
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

with that workflow wouldn't HDSDI be even more degrading to the image? If it were recorded to tape first then output through analog component video converted to HDSDI isnt that unneccesary recompression right off the bat. It would only be advantagous if it were captured live off the cam and not recorded to tape first. Sounds like this guy just needed a little help with his flow.
Ian E. Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E. Pearson
Sounds like this guy just needed a little help with his flow.
I do too.

My impression from a couple people I've spoken with is capturing via the component out into a card to get into another more "Post Friendly" codec is a good solution. That's obviously what this guy decided to do and he said he tried Lumiere... which appears from what I've read to be the better of the software routes.

I don't think we really want to be in HDV when we start color correcting and doing composites - so the question I have is what codec do you want to be in and what's the highest quality way of getting there in Final Cut?
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Had he used Vegas and ConnectHD he wouldn't have those workflow problems. He made FCP issues sound like camera issues, unless you check out the video you get the wrong impression about things. (Not attacking FCP here, just one persons ignorance).
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
Had he used Vegas and ConnectHD he wouldn't have those workflow problems. He made FCP issues sound like camera issues, unless you check out the video you get the wrong impression about things.
What is most surprising is that he didn't test this before beginning shooting. Can't blame anybody but yourself if you didn't verify all the steps before. Just reading the product specs is not enough.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Had he used Vegas and ConnectHD he wouldn't have those workflow problems. He made FCP issues sound like camera issues

I didn't take it that way. I took it that he was told one thing and found out another later and was a little frustrated. The reality is this camera doesn't appear to meld with the Mac very well right now... it's a workflow issue that relates to the codec this camera uses. I think that's a fair consideration. I'm not sure asking someone to switch platforms is a better idea than just plugging a card into their Mac.

I'm still waiting for some wise person to answer my questions on the topic... so I'm not sure this DP could have posted here and gotten a quick solution. He may have found the highest quality solution on his own - and AJA card. Or not. I've seen no one here say they've test both and Lumiere is better because... etc.
Old March 10th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Had he used Vegas and ConnectHD he wouldn't have those workflow problems..
I agree fully Joe. Aside from a couple minor capture issues in ConnectHD, this combo has worked near flawlessly. Ive also tried a trial of Premiere Pro and Aspect 4. Also flawless. Ive always been a PC man. In this business though, tons of people use Macs. A Mac has usually been the better way to go for most. It seems like just not for this camera yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
I'm not sure this DP could have posted here and gotten a quick solution.
There are plenty of people in these forums who have their workflow figured out on the Mac for the time being and dont use HDSDI. But you would think Apple would have a fix by now man. They eventually will.
Ian E. Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E. Pearson
But you would think Apple would have a fix by now man. They eventually will.
Yeah - I'd actually put the blame on Apple more than JVC. They've had forever to figure this out. Maybe Apple believed all the Panasonic hype and thought it would be a category killer. Hopefully they know better now.

Maybe Panasonic paid Apple to support P2 and the HVX so quickly. If so, hats off to them for getting their camera supported. I don't think the HVX works very well on PC's quite yet though... almost the reverse situation of HD-100's.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems