Just got the BR-HD50 deck - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 27th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #16
Regular Crew

thanks Daniel, I'll try that
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Daniel how do you confrom you footage back to a GOP of 15 frames?
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
Hi Daniel how do you confrom you footage back to a GOP of 15 frames?
Manny,

Edit your project. Then mark and in and out at the beginning and end of your project.

Then select Print to Video and let FCP do the rest. You will be see a progress bar that tells you it is conforming the video.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #19
Regular Crew

thanks Daniel...
Old March 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #20
Regular Crew

You will be see a progress bar that tells you it is conforming the video.

Daniel I am not getting this messege...
Old March 29th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I got it Daniel, Just want to know what video capture card you have..
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #22
Contributor

Just a thought - I don't own the deck so others can correct me, but couldn't you go out via HDMI to the monitor?

I think there'd have to be some reasonably priced 3rd party solutions to convert HDMI to component (provided the signal is not HDCP which it wouldn't be coming from the deck.). You can search around and pick up a DVDO iScan HD+ with the SD-SDI input for around $900 - $1000 - that will scale non-HDCP DVI to the component outputs. HDMI to DVI cables and converters are relatively cheap. I own one of these for my home theatre and have often considered it would be handy at work as well - and the quality is great. The DVDO VP30 is more expensive ($2000) but is a little more flexible.
DVDO FAQ: http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_ishdp.php#faq_hd9

You would also then have a decent scaler in your rack for other jobs. Alternatively you could just buy and HDMI monitor..

I had a quick look at your monitor and the only HD input option seems to be HD-SDI @ around $1900, and then you'd need a component to HD-SDI converter which is also expensive.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell
...you could just buy and HDMI monitor...
Based on my understanding and some research, HDMI carries digital HD video and audio. If the monitor has DVI input, it's just a matter of adapting the HDMI to DVI and it should take lossless video from the deck to the monitor. The only thing not carried is audio but most people will take audio to the amp anyway (as opposed to the monitor/TV set speakers).

Speaking of monitors; I just picked up SONY MFMHT75W 17" LCD Monitor with TV Tuner.
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW
It's listed as 1280 x 768 pixels. So far I had only an opportunity to play back video (HDV 30p) from the component outputs of the HD50 and it looked pretty good. I am yet to get the DVI -> HDMI adapter to see anything in digital.

In the meantime though, I am seeing quite a bit of alisiing, especially when panning/tilting (whatever speed), on just about any horizontal lines, such as buildings, fences, park benches, etc. What's the common take on that among users here?
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #24
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
Based on my understanding and some research, HDMI carries digital HD video and audio. If the monitor has DVI input, it's just a matter of adapting the HDMI to DVI and it should take lossless video from the deck to the monitor. The only thing not carried is audio but most people will take audio to the amp anyway (as opposed to the monitor/TV set speakers).
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
In the meantime though, I am seeing quite a bit of alisiing, especially when panning/tilting (whatever speed), on just about any horizontal lines, such as buildings, fences, park benches, etc. What's the common take on that among users here?
This is precisely the reason for a device like the DVDO. The scalers and de-interlacers built into these sets are cheap and nasty. You'll probably find that it is not passing your component signal straight through, but rather trying to process it. It may be incorrectly assuming interlaced footage. It may even by trying to scale your 1280x720 to 1280 x768 (are you seeing black lines top and bottom to account for the additional 48 lines - or is that pixels)?

If you have the deck grab a cheap HDMI to DVI cable and see if that makes a difference
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
I got it Daniel, Just want to know what video capture card you have..
Sorry for the late reply.

I have a Decklink HD card ($599 retail). I have had some intermittent issues with it, but it seems to be working fine now. I have heard that the AJA cards do hardware downconversion to SD while the Decklink cards to it via software. In theory hardware should be better than software, but I have not seen the output of the AJA card.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 03:31 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Do you need an onboard card to view HDV or can you use the AJA I/O (Firewire)? I know it has an SDI out on it.
Matthew Delong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems