Just got the BR-HD50 deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Just got the BR-HD50 deck

Anyone know the proper settings for FCP 5, I want to playp back the footage but it does not recognize it. I see the 1280x720 30fps but its not highlighted. thanks guys
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Use the Easy setup for HDV 72030p. It should work.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
Use the Easy setup for HDV 72030p. It should work.

Dan Weber
Make sure "Show All" is checked in the Easy Setup menu.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

no luck

I tried easy set up, As Follows

Sequence preset: HDV-720p30
Capture Preset: HDV
Device Control Preset: HDV Fire Wire
Playback Output Video: None
Palyback Outout Audio: Default
Edit to tape/PTV Output Video: HDV (1280x720) 30fps
Edit to tape/PTV Output Audio: HDV

My problem is that I can't get Playback Output Video, I go to Menu,View, Video Playback, I see HDV (1280x720) 30fps but its not high lighted, in other words I can choose it. I tried Restarting FCP 5 , but still get the same. I am just trying to get playback through the deck.
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Major Player

HDV does not play back through a deck like DV does.

You have to preview using a second monitor or use a card like a Decklink or AJA card that will allow you to send the footage out HDSDI or downconvert to SDI or component video.

It is cheap to shoot HD now, but editing and monitoring can still be expensive.

If you have a G5 with a good video card, I would suggest getting a second monitor and using that to preview the video. It works pretty good with my 2 24" Dell LCD's. You setup your video preview as the 2nd desktop monitor.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I kind of had a feeling I was going to have to buy a card,
Decklink HD 10 bit @ $595 would this one work?
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
If you have a G5 with a good video card, I would suggest getting a second monitor and using that to preview the video. It works pretty good with my 2 24" Dell LCD's. You setup your video preview as the 2nd desktop monitor.

Dan Weber

You don't even need a G5, We've got a second station running a dual gig G4 w/ a Radeon 9600 card and we use a second Apple display as a dedicated Canvas playback that works great.
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have 2 G5's, and want to be able to preview out through my Sony LMD1410 monitor, I know I can use another cinema display, but I rather use my new monitors
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
I have 2 G5's, and want to be able to preview out through my Sony LMD1410 monitor, I know I can use another cinema display, but I rather use my new monitors

I haven't used the BR deck, but you can't send HD out firewire and get CRT playback the way you can with DV. That's just the reality right now. You're going to need a thrid party solution ( like the AJA or Decklink) to send a component signal out to your Sony SD monitor.

The nice thing about using a second monitor on the Mac is that you can dedicate it to you Canvas in FCP and it's the only way you'll get realtime HD playback (or close to it) without a third party solution.

I've got a 17" LCD running the canvas and it gives me a great 16:9 HD realtime playback. Granted you can't calibrate itlike you can the Sony or my JVC with Blue only, but I'm so used to calibrating that I can get it near exact and by using a blue gel you can do that much better.
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Will I be able to record my finishd product back into the deck?
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

What 3rd party card do you recomend?
Old March 25th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Will I be able to record my finishd product back into the deck?

Definitely...it's just that our systems don't have the horse power to put an HD stream out firewire for realtime playback on a broadcast monitor. The BR is the right tool for capturing to the timeline and recording from the timeline.

Here's info on the Decklink:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/
You're going to need the Decklink Pro for compnent out to your monitor unless you've got an SDI card in the Sony.
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I also tried recording from the timeline as you said but are not succesfull, what can I do to record whats on the timeline back to tape?
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #14
Major Player

My experience with the deck is as follows:

First of, my NLE is Avid XP 4.8.2 running on dual Mac G5, which means no HDV support at the moment. Hence, all my experience at this point is stricly in SD (DV). I am using a Keyspan adaptor to control the deck through its 9-pin RS422 control. This works fine. The FW connection works also, the NLE can "see" the deck and incoming video, audio and TC. However, it will NOT record back to tape. The truth is that Avid in this version doesn't have a control template for this specific deck and so I am using another JVC template. I have tried a few, including SONY templates and generic NTSC devices with more or less the same results.

Does the current version of FCP have a specific template for the HD50?
NAB is around the corner, please be kind enough to deliver some goods...

A related question; once all these template control issues are sorted out, will it be possible to export HDV back to tape? More so, will it be possible to export to a pre-blacked tape (in the same HDV mode as the timeline) and put the program exactly where you need it (as in for example TC 10;00;00;00 etc.)?
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
I also tried recording from the timeline as you said but are not succesfull, what can I do to record whats on the timeline back to tape?
Manny,

To export back to tape you need to confrom you footage back to a GOP of 15 frames. This is the drawback of editing in native HDV.

Mark an in point at the start of you timeline and then mark an out point at the end of your edit. Save your project and then select File>Print To Video

Be prepared for a long wait for the footage to conform. You will also be allowed to add bars and tone, countdown, and black at the head of end of your timeline. I select the "control deck" option as well.

After the footage has conformed a window will appear asking you to click "OK" and then it will control your deck and play your footage to tape.

What I have found speeds up the process is I mark and in out out on my timeline the part I want to put to tape. I then export this out as a quicktime self contained movie. I then import this file back into a new sequence and follow the above instructions for the original sequence.

This seems to speed up the conform process. What used to take hours can conform in a few minutes. I probably am adding another generation of rendering, but so far the stuff looks great.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems