Trailer shot with GY-HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 20th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Trailer shot with GY-HD100

Here's a link to a trailer we recently shot with the HD100.

http://www.therescuerstv.com/

All stock HD100...720p24 captured via DVCProHD codec analog component.
I didn't do the scene file recipes, but I think we shot with motion smoothing on and 24 frame shutter (old school cringes!) ...it's dark and moody but still looks good. I kept thinking Tim's wide latitude would have been helpful :)..Oh but we did use a China lantern on a pole Tim, just like you like. And 3 Arris.

Selective gaussian blur helps with the depth of field.

Dave Beaty
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #2
Major Player

They look really good, Dave. Did you mean 1/24th second on the shutter? You don't know for sure if motion smoothing was on? I can't see anything that looks like it.

What's really cool is that I don't see any SSE. It seems like some of those shots could have been problematic.

Congrats!
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Were you the DP of this show? Great Cuts BTW, indead everything looked really good, the video looked very sharp though, what level was detail on? Was that on purpose, to create that look?
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I love seeing stuff like this, it's beautiful to know just what this camera can do, too bad I can't produce images like those, heh.
Timothy McLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 04:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Dave, i watched the trailer. Man, this is some stuff! Camera does a great job! Directing looks pro. What was the budget?
Andrey Sherbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the comments. We were on a shoe string budget. This is the creative of Matt Dean, whom I work with. He asked me to help him create the look. No gain, and it was dark with no AC 'cept for 3 X 100 foot stingers to 15 amp circuits on the first floor of this abandoned building. Darin Dyer did a magnificent job with Glidecam.

As you can imagine going into the project, it was going to be very dark and dramatic lighting. These are pre-"A" model shots and no SSE! So it's not such a problem. Matt created the scene files based on factory settings. 24p with motion smoothing on and 1/24 shutter. I believe the detail level was at stock settings. I have my own "true color" settings with detail set at -4.

I've been bent on keeping shutter at 1/48 or 1/60 depending on frame rate. I still think it's best to keep it in sync with film cameras abilities. But Matt has the vision for his project and it does lend a certain "look" without the need for post enhancements. (aside from the blur he added for DOF since we are using the stock lens) In the end it's about esthetics and if it looks good. His previous shots with 1/24 shutter and motion smoothing on, have looked fantastic. The proof is in the rushes. Try it out...

He did add some great depth of field blur in post.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems