I've got this yucky feeling...hd100 price drop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:27 AM   #1
Inner Circle

I've got this yucky feeling...hd100 price drop

With the hd250 coming out, i've got a bad feeling there will be an hd100 price drop. seeing how i just bought an hd100 from texas tapeworks, that'd kinda suck for me personally but be good for everyone else i guess.

anyone think they'll be a price drop?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Brian... there are always going to be price drops sooner or later with just about anything. The main issue at stake is, how quickly are you able to make back what you spent on the HD100, because after that it's all gravy, right? The camera is a business tool that you use in order to make money... if not that, then it is a luxury item.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:50 AM   #3
Trustee

Sage words Chris. It's all about perspective.

@Brian - Has your camera paid for itself yet?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Major Player

Didn't the price actually go up marginaly recently?

If the HD250 is just a HD100 with some extra features then it will probably just be more expensive itself, maybe another few thousand to match the Canon.

I'm guessing at a second gen HD100 maybe NAB next year. In the mean time I'm hoping for some form of 10U replacement.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
With the hd250 coming out, i've got a bad feeling there will be an hd100 price drop. seeing how i just bought an hd100 from texas tapeworks, that'd kinda suck for me personally but be good for everyone else i guess.

anyone think they'll be a price drop?
They just raised the price.. plus you got the IDX deal remember? Factor that in.

Since the HD-100 is about the same as the HVX in price I'll bet they keep it there and then have a higher price for the HD-250 which is really after the Canon XLH1 market. If the HD-250 was the same price as the Canon it would be a better deal due to 60p and integrated audio in the HD-SDI output.

Guess we'll see, but if I was JVC I wouldn't be dropping prices unless the HVX was eating their lunch, but I see no indication it is.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM   #6
Trustee

I agree.
The HD250 should compete well with the Canon H1.
I imagine it will be priced close to the Canon, possibly a bit less.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

No need to price drop but they do need to keep the margin between the two cameras reasonable. If they price the HD250 too low then people will just pay a few extra bucks and get the HD250 instead of the HD100 thus lowering the sales of the HD100 and forcing a price reduction.

Price the HD100 to compete with the Canon, it will still be a few thousand above the HD100 which is enough to keep people away from the HD250 unless they must have those features and both should continue to sell well.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
They just raised the price.. plus you got the IDX deal remember? Factor that in.
That promotion has expired and is no longer a factor.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Someone posted a pic of the hd250 and I am wondering if this is a "add on " piece to the HD100? Clever how the cut around the model name?
If this is the case I expect the HD100 to fly off shelves at 9:05am monday morning.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 02:47 PM   #10
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Holtermann
If they price the HD250 too low then people will just pay a few extra bucks and get the HD250 instead of the HD100 thus lowering the sales of the HD100 and forcing a price reduction.
You need to take into account the HD250's shipping date -- not just price.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; April 23rd, 2006 at 12:45 PM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Sage words Chris. It's all about perspective.

@Brian - Has your camera paid for itself yet?
it's still sitting out our hong kong office. i'll have it may 1st. so NO, it hasn't even paid for its shipping yet...($145).

btw, i agree with this notion of the camera as a tool. there's this other sentiment floating around--espoused by (some) owners of a certain p2 based camera that borders on cultlike fanaticism.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:52 PM   #12
Tourist

It would be disappointing if the price drops, but I'm not worried. I bought a demo model that was already upgraded to A for $4,500. It only had 70 hours of use.
Don Hargat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:23 PM   #13
Major Player

$5k to shoot clean and professional looking HDV? That's cheap IMHO. Even if it drops $2k it's still been a very strong investment... in fact I wish it would drop in price so we can pick up yet another. I still doubt it will.

Considering the image quality, price and end result, ours paid for itself many times over on the first job. Since then it's just been a bonus to have for all of the other stuff we get to shoot with it. I'm not so much a fan boy of the camera, it has it's issues, but it has done everything we have asked of it and then some for that price.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems