HD100 and the magnet trick? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 9th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Poked around in the advanced menu today looking for the mysterious flip option... I'd like to meet who started this rumor... or at least the person who misinterpreted what he or she said;

There is a flip option in the advanced menu.. but it is a left/right flip only.
I repeat, the advanced/service menu flip is a left/right flip only.
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #17
Major Player

Flipping ???

Well if i understand it correct, when using mini35 adopter & cine prime on the HD100 makes the image flip up side down that means the recorded image too will be upsidedown, then do we need to re process image to flip it ri8 back in post where by doing some image degradation again ... Pls correct me if wrong cox I am almost ready to place my order for HD100 ... Also whats the news on HD200 250 is it ging to be a refioned version on hd100 .. i would like to wait shoudl there be any signifacant improvement in the newer verison.

I await insight !!!

:)
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankim Jain
Well if i understand it correct, when using mini35 adopter & cine prime on the HD100 makes the image flip up side down that means the recorded image too will be upsidedown,
The recorded and viewable image when using the Mini35 is upright. It's upside down with the Redrock and some other homebrew 35 adapters.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #19
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lewis
Poked around in the advanced menu today looking for the mysterious flip option... I'd like to meet who started this rumor... or at least the person who misinterpreted what he or she said;.
I too have been waiting for the magic instructions. :(

And, yes the image is recorded upside down! But CineForm will flip it for you.

JVC claims that to do a true double flip, hardware is required. It's not just firmware. I've haven't spent time thinking about if this is likely to be true.

If it involves delaying rows for a complete frame time, which I think it might, then it probably does require hardware. So no firmware update for the HD100.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lewis
Poked around in the advanced menu today looking for the mysterious flip option... I'd like to meet who started this rumor... or at least the person who misinterpreted what he or she said;

There is a flip option in the advanced menu.. but it is a left/right flip only.
I repeat, the advanced/service menu flip is a left/right flip only.
DJ,

What is done through the service menu was already discussed here: only mirror image (see posting #4 of this thread). I never have read of someone claiming to achieve the 180 degree flipping, that was also tried to be achieved using the magnet without any success.

Luis Otero
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Luis, I missed your post, but had heard from several people that they heard it could be done... which was the reason my post was worded as it was.....

And Steve has dashed all hope of a firmware update... but that won't stop me from singing the 100's praises, even after the 200/250 comes out. :)
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #22
Major Player

Actually the mirror flip is more of a blessing that you think. Recently I tried to rig up a mirror option for my FX1 using a free LCD hood I got with my Petrol bag:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
It's a snug fit and works on any other 3-4" LCD (such as my GL2).

I didn't make any permanent solution, but I just played with mounting a small mirror on the bottom inside of the hood and angling the LCD screen down so that I'm seeing the up side down reflection of the LCD screen in the mirror, similar to a teleprompter setup. The mirro has to be mounted at a 45 degree angle to view it comfortably, but this shouldn't be too hard to figure out. This particular hood is very useful as well because you can unhook the top part of the hood allowing clear viewing to the bottom where the mirror is.

It worked very nicely and could easily be made into a permanent fixture. The only problem is that it was only flipped vertically, not 180 degrees which is up for down, left for right. But combined with the mirror option on the HD100 and you've got the whole flip, right? 180 degrees when viewed through the mirror. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like the cheapest way to flip the image for viewing on-camera.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #23
Major Player

Chad,

That is exactly the way I have done it before in one of our projects in which a converter was used and the imaged needed to be "erected", as they properly say in UK (the suplier of the adapter was from UK, so I needed to made myself used to the same terminology).

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems