HD100 and the magnet trick? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD100 and the magnet trick?

Does anyone know if the magnet tricks works for flipping the image on the lcd screen? OR if there's a way to do it in camera? (very doubtful)

Thanks
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Many of this forum, including myself, have not been able to make it work. I know that if you go through the service menu (I do not recall how to get there), you can flip the image, but mirror image only. The new versions of the camera will have the such flipping capability, so my hope is that we could get it through a firmware update.

Luis Otero
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

some were able to do it with the HVX (link: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...highlight=flip)

i wonder if there is a same flip switch for HD100 LCD
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4
Major Player

I have been told someone tried to see if the HD100 had the switch, but it was not there. Knowing that the mirror image flipping is done via the service menue, I imagine is a matter of firmware. The HD200 & HD250 will have such option...

Luis
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Firmware update? Who at jvc do we bombard with emails to make this happen?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Mr. Ken Freed is one of the names I know. He is even part of this forum. I believe his uncensored email is kfreed at jvc dot com. Maybe other people, or coprporate e-mails may be of great help on this campaing!

Luis
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Alright moderators, if you're reading, would this be out of line or of poor taste to email jvc about a firmware update to flip the image for the 100 (even if its only in the view finder) knowing that the 200/250 will be out in october or so?
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Gang,

What is the "magnet trick" and what does it accomplish?

Thanks,

Tom Chaney
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Major Player

The magnet trick is to flip the image 180 degrees if you are using an adapter that will give you an inverted image.

Luis
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #10
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Otero
The magnet trick is to flip the image 180 degrees if you are using an adapter that will give you an inverted image.

Luis
We know what it does, but this thread has yet to mention anything about the "magnet." We've been pointed to an hvx200 switch trick, told about a service menu trick -- and yet the topic is about magnets.
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Good point steve; I know small rare earth magnents work for the dvx and the fx1, and assume if the trick were to work for the hd100 it would be the same type of magnent. I'll see if I can find specific magnets people have used with success for other cams.
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lewis
Does anyone know if the magnet tricks works for flipping the image on the lcd screen? OR if there's a way to do it in camera? (very doubtful)

Thanks
Why would you want to flip the image. I don't get it? I'm probably going to feel stupid when I get the answer but the curiosity is killing me...
Scott Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #13
Barry Wan Kenobi

It's for people using the low-cost mini35-style image adapters. Those lens adapters project the image upside-down on a piece of ground glass, which the camera then rephotographs. So your footage is upside-down, and the monitoring is upside-down. The magnet is an attempt to get the LCD to flip itself upside-down, which would then mean that you're able to monitor your footage right-side-up.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
We know what it does, but this thread has yet to mention anything about the "magnet." We've been pointed to an hvx200 switch trick, told about a service menu trick -- and yet the topic is about magnets.
Steve,

So far, unless I have missed any posting here, we have been told by this cyber community that there is no switch present in the HD100, nor that they have found a viable way to use the magnet trick to accomplish the flipping of the image. So, my interest here is to ask (or even beg, if needed) to get an update of the firmware since we know JVC will have this option for the HD200/250. So, firmware could be the answer for this image flipping situation/need.

Respectfully,
Luis
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #15
Regular Crew

See, I do feel stupid. Thanks Barry, as always you guys are a wealth of info.
Scott Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems