HDV compression artifacts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV compression artifacts?

I'm currently an XL2 user and I really would like to move up to HDV and the HD100 seems like the closest thing to an HDV version of the XL2 without spending $9K.

So, my question is this, for any HD100 users: Since the HDV signal is compressed using (I believe) MPEG-2, are there any noticeable or distracting compression artifacts, particularly during a moving shot?

If I get this camera, I'll be using it primarily for narrative works, such as feature films and short films.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can supply.

-Shawn
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn McBee
So, my question is this, for any HD100 users: Since the HDV signal is compressed using (I believe) MPEG-2, are there any noticeable or distracting compression artifacts, particularly during a moving shot?
Hi Shawn.

HDV uses a variant of MPEG2. When shooting solid backgrounds, depending on your lighting, you might notice some pixels "dancing". This is if you look upclose and you know what to look for. The average viewer, especially if the footage is downconverted and showed on TV, a la DVD, will not notice. It's similar to the grain of film. Noticeable yes, distracting no. Much can be done by lighting differently. You should try the camera and decide for yourself.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Major Player

With the 6 frame GOP that the HD100 uses, you will see a lot less artifacts on it than the other HDV cameras (if you see any at all)

One great thing about the camera is the full 1280x720 resolution with NO subsampling going on. I don't believe there is any camera that has ever done that until now, at this price point.

I must also point at that JVC Support is the best you will find in the market today.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva
With the 6 frame GOP that the HD100 uses, you will see a lot less artifacts on it than the other HDV cameras (if you see any at all)

One great thing about the camera is the full 1280x720 resolution with NO subsampling going on. I don't believe there is any camera that has ever done that until now, at this price point.

I must also point at that JVC Support is the best you will find in the market today.
Do you work for JVC?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #5
2nd Unit TV

I think you'll find, at least on this Board, that we all work for JVC...and other companies who support their products to the extent that JVC does with its users. We don't mind honestly evangelizing for companies like JVC when their commitment is as strong to its customers as JVC's is.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the info so far guys.

Just one more question: If I were to shoot a feature film with this camera, edit it at full res and output to, say, HDCam or D5 tape to screen at a festival on an HD Projector--would it look acceptable, projected that large?

I'm sure it would look better than regular DV--I just really want to be sure before spending $5,500 on a camera that it'll look good if projected in a movie theatre. Unfortunately, there aren't any rental facilities in my area that carry the HD100, otherwise, I'd just rent one for a weekend and try it out.

Thanks again guys, as always, these boards are the best.

-Shawn
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #7
Trustee

JVC service is the real deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
I think you'll find, at least on this Board, that we all work for JVC...and other companies who support their products to the extent that JVC does with its users. We don't mind honestly evangelizing for companies like JVC when their commitment is as strong to its customers as JVC's is.

Jonathan, once again, is right on the money.

See, here's the thing - HD technology, particularly in a 1/3" chip set, is so new that there are bound to be hick-ups and/or negatives. All of the "Baby-4" cameras have them, and all of them have been pretty well documented by this point.

The difference is that JVC seems willing to say "Hey, we know it's not perfect yet, but we aren't going to hide from that fact, and we're going to do our best to help to work out the kinks."

That nearly unique corporate attitude, combined w/input from what I consider to be an amazing set of film makers who have adapted the camera, make for an amazing synergy that few other products can match.

Am I thrilled by the need for the "A" update/recall? No.

Am I thrilled that when I expressed my concern on this forum that a Vice President of JVC emailed personally to help alleviate my concerns? Absolutely yes.

Am I thrilled that JVC has not put it's head in the sand and admitted that some new frimware was needed, and then provided the upgrade free of charge? Again, yes.

I don't think any of the long time users and contributors are JVC "slappies" at all. I know I'm not. When JVC's messed up, we've called them out on it - but the difference is, JVC's listened to us and done something about it.

Trust us - this camera and the people behind it are the real deal.

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Trustee

Nice read John!

Agreed 100%
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems