More Sweet Slo-mo... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Major Player

More Sweet Slo-mo...

Just got a chance to test out my new HD-100 today. Got a lot of great stuff in HDV24p, but did a quick test of 60pSD for slow motion. I used Paolo's True Color V2 but slightly modified (black level -1, stretch +2, a little less blue gain as well).

I'm liking it.

H.264:
http://video.terpstar.com/morevids/SlowMo-sweet.mov
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Major Player

HI Chad, if you could post a link to a wmv type of file as I am unable to play the mov file on my comp for problem with the player. If possible for you !!!

Thx
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hell yeah, that's awesome. Great job, did you use the workflow i mentioned?
www.showiki.com - Entertainment Biz Wiki
www.filmexposure.org - My Media Company
Adam Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Craig
Hell yeah, that's awesome. Great job, did you use the workflow i mentioned?
Yup. Cinema Tools is the most important part of the process as it re-interprets your footage.

It seems pretty clean, but sometimes the 60p encoder can be kind of noisey with macroblocking. It's not really noticable in SD when played at 60p, but when each frame is up for longer you see more of it. I've gotten mixed results when using 60pSD, but overall I think it's a great feature to have on the camera and I'm definately going to use it whenever I get a good reason to. Has anyone used it in a project or film?
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Trustee

Looks good Chad. Have you tried 50p? It gives you 576 lines instead of 480. Closer to the HD spec and scales down exactly (well, almost) 50% speed.
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Looks good Chad. Have you tried 50p? It gives you 576 lines instead of 480. Closer to the HD spec and scales down exactly (well, almost) 50% speed.
That's a great idea, I'll have to try this out tonight.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #7
Major Player

O well, i dont get why i am not able to view the file ??? as the MOV player states a missing encoder which is also not on the server ... wonder what shoudl i do ???
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankim Jain
O well, i dont get why i am not able to view the file ??? as the MOV player states a missing encoder which is also not on the server ... wonder what shoudl i do ???
What version of QuickTime do you have? You need 7.x to play H.264. If you don't haveit already just download iTunes ( http://www.apple.com/itunes/download ) and you should be fine.
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone

Well. I just ran a test on this it it'll work nicely as long as it's sun lit. I get strobing with some light fixtures. I remember being taught something about this back in school. Has something to do with the AC frequency.

I imagine it'll work great in day light though!
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #10
Major Player

Yeah, alternating current runs at 60 Hz in the US, and 50 Hz in other countries, which is why the frame rates of the NTSC and PAL standards ended up the way they are in the first place. The cameras could simply be genlocked to wall current and you avoided electrical interference with the video signals.

Anyway you can avoid flickering lights the same way you avoid flickering computer monitors, using the "clearscan" shutter function. I'm not sure how you access it on the HD100, and it may not even be called Clearscan on this camera ("variable scan"?), but I know for a fact that it's in there. Look for the menu that lets you set the shutter speed in increments of .1s, then tweak it until the flickering goes away.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
Anyway you can avoid flickering lights the same way you avoid flickering computer monitors, using the "clearscan" shutter function. I'm not sure how you access it on the HD100, and it may not even be called Clearscan on this camera ("variable scan"?), but I know for a fact that it's in there. Look for the menu that lets you set the shutter speed in increments of .1s, then tweak it until the flickering goes away.
Yeah, it's in the variable scan setting for the shutter.
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
Just got a chance to test out my new HD-100 today. Got a lot of great stuff in HDV24p, but did a quick test of 60pSD for slow motion. I used Paolo's True Color V2 but slightly modified (black level -1, stretch +2, a little less blue gain as well).

I'm liking it.

H.264:
http://video.terpstar.com/morevids/SlowMo-sweet.mov
I captured my 60P footage and tried to convert it to Apple HDV 30P, but it doesn't look to be at 50% as it looks like just the repeated frames were dropped.. How does this process work in Cinema Tool?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #13
Major Player

How are you importing your footage?
If using DVHSCap, you'll end up with an .MT2 file. Open that in MPEG Streamclip to convert to a file with your choice of codec & size (this is a good place to uprez it to 1280x720 if you plan to do so eventually).

If you do things right, you'll end up with a 60p file in whatever codec you prefer. Open that in Cinema Tools, and click "Conform" and then select 23.94 or 29.97 from the dropdown box. NOTE: At this point it should say, "Footage is currently 59.96 fps" or something similar to that. If it says something else, you lost your 60fps at some other point in your workflow.

Click "Conform." The change will be instant and effect the file wherever it is referenced.
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
How are you importing your footage?
If using DVHSCap, you'll end up with an .MT2 file. Open that in MPEG Streamclip to convert to a file with your choice of codec & size (this is a good place to uprez it to 1280x720 if you plan to do so eventually).

If you do things right, you'll end up with a 60p file in whatever codec you prefer. Open that in Cinema Tools, and click "Conform" and then select 23.94 or 29.97 from the dropdown box. NOTE: At this point it should say, "Footage is currently 59.96 fps" or something similar to that. If it says something else, you lost your 60fps at some other point in your workflow.

Click "Conform." The change will be instant and effect the file wherever it is referenced.
I am using DVHSCap, but I was changing the frame rate in MPEGStream.

I thought the frame rate of 24 is 23.98?
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
I thought the frame rate of 24 is 23.98?
You're right, it is. I'm just making numbers up now... ;-)
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems