Buy now or wait? HD200... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
Doesn't it seem that $2000 extra is asking a bit much just for two new features? I guess there's extra gamma features as well, but still it seems like quite a jump.
JVC said there is advanced Cina-Gamma.

I just bought the HD100 and love it. If you don't really need slow-mo in 720 for a lot of work, then you can shoot in 480/60P and upres which still looks decent.

I will be doing mostly 720/24P in the future, and plan to use the extra $2000 for a HDD and other accessories.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #17
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
Doesn't it seem that $2000 extra is asking a bit much just for two new features? I guess there's extra gamma features as well, but still it seems like quite a jump.
Chad,

Adding the 50P and 60P record modes required entire re-engineering of the MPEG-2 encoder to a new level of quality and capability. The R&D to do this and then the cost to produce it is very expensive.

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #18
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Tim or Karl- Will the HD200 have a burnable timecode?

Don't know. I will ask product management.
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Trechak
I was planning on buying the GY HD100 in a couple of weeks and have just recently found out about the HD200 version coming out later this year. Will the new features on the HD200 make it worth the wait/extra money?

The main feature that I was interested in is JVC's new 16mm lens adaptor. Will this work on the HD100 as well? Will using the 16mm lens make it easier to rack focus/get a shallow depth of field, or should I still consider buying somthing like a Micro 35?
By the time the 200 and 250 come out (who knows when the actual release date is...) there will be something else on the horizon. My dad has been waiting for the TV set that does it all since 1985. I'm not lying. 21 years. Don't fall into that trap. If you're ready to shoot--take the plunge. Stop screwing around.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #20
New Boot

I'm in the same way as Brian. The "eternal wait" for a better investment is a trap and very easy to fall into. I recently bought a HD101 and had the same doubts but finally i thought "i'm ready to shoot and this cam, right now, it's perfect for my work". I want it for filmmaking and i don't know if i gonna exploit all its features.

Maybe today it's cheaper. Maybe the new model it's better. Nevermind. I love the cam i have now, in this moment. It's cool. The footage it's impressive. Have a tremendous potential. A year ago, HD-24p in this range of price doesn't exist.

Undoubtedly, i'm a lucky guy.

Last edited by Ivan Alonso; May 19th, 2006 at 04:20 AM.
Ivan Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #21
Major Player

You can always trade up, That's my plan make money on the HD100 and when the time is right you will have no regrets.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #22
Regular Crew

you can always wait for the HD500. joking, cameras are like computers, there will always be a better one coming out in due time.

my 2 cents
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems