Tapes for HD100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 1st, 2006, 09:38 AM   #31
New Boot

It's on its way back from getting the upgrade from JVC right now. Carl Hicks told us to put a note in the box about the drop out. Hopefully they cleaned it while they were upgrading it.
Dwayne Dupre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Dupre
It's on its way back from getting the upgrade from JVC right now. Carl Hicks told us to put a note in the box about the drop out. Hopefully they cleaned it while they were upgrading it.
Mine is also at JVC they recieved it today. The version I have is already an A so I was surpriced to see that I was having problems, so we will see in what condition our cameras come back to us. Keep this thread updated as to the condition of your camera and so will I. My problems our drop out, picture degradation, slight lag in audio which might be normal for the HD and recently I expericed a break in my time code all I could see was blue screen where there should have been pictue. JVC seems to be very customer oriented and Im ok with problems, I mean its new technology just as long as they get it fixed. again I will also keep this forum updated as to the condition of my camera when I get it back. Good luck with yours.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #33
Tourist

DVcam tape

Been on the road in LA(Im from Nashville) and quick trip down to Lima,Peru. I shot 6-40 min
Sony DVCAM tapes in the DV mode and 2-40 min Sony DVcam tapes (exact same stock type)in the
HDV mode. just got in, but preliminary spot testing showed no drop out in any case.... Am I playing with fire? or just lucky?
Robert Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Norman
Been on the road in LA(Im from Nashville) and quick trip down to Lima,Peru. I shot 6-40 min
Sony DVCAM tapes in the DV mode and 2-40 min Sony DVcam tapes (exact same stock type)in the
HDV mode. just got in, but preliminary spot testing showed no drop out in any case.... Am I playing with fire? or just lucky?
No,Thats probably the best tape you can use at this time if your camera is functioning propely. I use it to. If you buy your tape on line and I say online because the tapes that I have experianced problems with were usually purchase on line, sometimes you can get defective tape and you will experiance drop out. Usually the drop out is due to the tape not the camera. But their can be cases otherwise, I am just speaking from my own experiances.
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
I use Pansonics which I am very happy with because I use a Canon camera to capture SD24PA footage with and work well in both cameras, but they are pricy: AY-DVM63MQ.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0
We had dropout with more than a few of the Panasonic MQ tapes, and that's all I have run in the camera from the day it arrived. We buy the Panasonic tapes by the 25 packs, in pairs. However, I found that repacking the tapes (not by hand but with a forward/rev) before using them has yielded excellent results.

I was wondering who else has tried this as a fix after experiencing dropouts and a tape brand?
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:36 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc has plenty of stock on the DVM63PROHD tape at a cost of $9.95 each.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo.net Sponser
Is this sort of spamming allowed on these forums?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
We had dropout with more than a few of the Panasonic MQ tapes, and that's all I have run in the camera from the day it arrived. We buy the Panasonic tapes by the 25 packs, in pairs. However, I found that repacking the tapes (not by hand but with a forward/rev) before using them has yielded excellent results.

I was wondering who else has tried this as a fix after experiencing dropouts and a tape brand?
Try Buying your tape from a different supplier or a local store in your area the drop out your having is probably due to deffective tape it seems to be more apparent in the HDV format.
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #38
Major Player

TDK Tapes

You guys know if the tdk tapes use dry lubricant? I have a mini-dv cam I'm planning on using with the hd100 as VTR for DV footage... and I've been using tdk on this mini-dv cam. Would it be a problem if I started using JVC tapes on it?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Kim
You guys know if the tdk tapes use dry lubricant? I have a mini-dv cam I'm planning on using with the hd100 as VTR for DV footage... and I've been using tdk on this mini-dv cam. Would it be a problem if I started using JVC tapes on it?
If you use JVC make sure you clean the heads on your camera first then change tapes.
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams
Mine is also at JVC they recieved it today. The version I have is already an A so I was surpriced to see that I was having problems, so we will see in what condition our cameras come back to us. Keep this thread updated as to the condition of your camera and so will I. My problems our drop out, picture degradation, slight lag in audio which might be normal for the HD and recently I expericed a break in my time code all I could see was blue screen where there should have been pictue. JVC seems to be very customer oriented and Im ok with problems, I mean its new technology just as long as they get it fixed. again I will also keep this forum updated as to the condition of my camera when I get it back. Good luck with yours.
Just got camera back JVC service was great so far camera works fine.
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Tdk

Amos -
I just bought a TDK head cleaner for mini/HDV and it specifies it is 'dry type.' Not entirely sure if this means their tapestock would be also but it would be a reasonable assumption.
Dave Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #42
Major Player

Thanks for your help Dave. And Gary, should I take my cam to get it professionally cleaned or is there a self-clean kit for the tape heads?
Old June 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks for your help Dave. And Gary, should I take my cam to get it professionally cleaned or is there a self-clean kit for the tape heads?
If your going to switch tape I would use a cleaner that is from the same manufacturer as the tape you have been using, after that I would switch to the new tape and use that manufacturers cleaner when needed.

PS I would not take the camera to get it professionaly cleaned unless you had a problem after cleaning it yourself.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM   #44
Major Player

Thanks gary. Anyone know if a dirty head could damage a tape?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:00 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks gary. Anyone know if a dirty head could damage a tape?
I dont think it could damage a tape but it could prevent you from recording correctly on the tape, drop, static, loss of audio or information ect....
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems