Tapes for HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 25th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tapes for HD100

Hi. I would like to know if I use normal miniDV tapes (those used on evrey minidv camera) on the HD100 would I be damaging the heads? Obviously this is only when shooting in DV mode. Thanks
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #2
Major Player

I use the $3 Sony Premium tapes for DV & HD.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Major Player

I use Pansonics which I am very happy with because I use a Canon camera to capture SD24PA footage with and work well in both cameras, but they are pricy: AY-DVM63MQ.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #4
Major Player

$5.19 is pricey? In a bigger scheme of things this price or even quite a bit more is not pricey. If you shot with HDCAM you'd be paying anywhere between $80 - $100 per a 40-minute tape. For a good quality tape the price is worth every penny. Don't cheap out on tapes...
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #5
Major Player

I found this thread helpful:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62199

From what I gathered it's best to use one particular brand consistently. But if not, Panasonic and JVC tapes are similar in their lubricant where Sony uses a more wet and/or abrasive lubricant. I've decided to stick with mainly JVC and possibly use Panasonic on occasion for their 80 minute tapes. It's a tough choice though considering my other camera is a Sony FX1... Guess I'll just hope for the best...
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #6
JVC America

ProHD Tapes

The JVC MVD63PROHD tapes are made specifically to get the best performance out of the JVC ProHD cameras. As some have already said, it's not wise to scrimp on tape quality. The JVC MDV63PROHD tapes sell for $10 to $15 per tape.
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Major Player

I get the JVC PRO HD tapes from B & H. they're reasonably priced and they always have them.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
The JVC MVD63PROHD tapes are made specifically to get the best performance out of the JVC ProHD cameras. As some have already said, it's not wise to scrimp on tape quality. The JVC MDV63PROHD tapes sell for $10 to $15 per tape.
I want to get these, but I heard that they do not work in Canon cameras which I use to capture the 24PA-SD footage. I may just test one out for myself.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #9
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

If shooting in HDV 720P, as Carl Hicks pointed out, it is Highly recommended to use MDV63PROHD tape. I have had a client who was shooting HDV on Panasonic 63EJ series (consumer tape) and he had multiple problems with dropout both on the recording and when capturing. He switched over to MDV63PROHD tape and this eliminated his problems.

TapeWorks Texas Inc has plenty of stock on the DVM63PROHD tape at a cost of $9.95 each.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo.net Sponser
scott@tapeworkstexas.com
www.tapeworkstexas.com
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
...where Sony uses a more wet and/or abrasive lubricant...
Let's set the record straight here: Sony tapes DO NOT USE more ABRASIVE lubricant. It is simply a DIFFERENT chemical formulation and going back and forth between what is referred to as 'wet' (SONY) and 'dry' (JVC, Panasonic and others) causes the creation of dirt or 'gack' on the camera heads, which in turn can cause dropouts and other problems. The Sony tapes are excellent, very reliable and they have by far the best and most durable cases. I have used them for years without a single dropout.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #11
New Boot

Hey, all. I just got my camera the other day -- very sweet. First off, did the sse test, couldn't see the split, even with 18db. Let's hope that JVC did a little self-calibrating setup in the firmware.

As far as tape stock is concerned. I've use sony tapes for years and have never heard of "abrasive lubricate" - kind of an oxymoron if you ask me. In my 100a, I've used the panasonic masters since I got it with no problems. When it goes out on rentals, I warn about switching stocks, some listen, some don't. I just clean the heads when I get the camera back. My thought is to use the more expensive tapes now to avoid more costly repairs later.

I've been going back and forth about what tape stock to use for the JVC. Panasonic Masters for reg DV and JVC HD tape for HDV or the Sony excellence and HD tapes. Sony tends to have national and international acceptance, so I’m starting to lean in that direction. Any thoughts from people using either combination?

Last edited by Gil Whitney; May 26th, 2006 at 10:01 AM.
Gil Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #12
Tourist

tapes for HD100

I have been using Sony DVCAM tapes in my HD100 because I have been using sony DVCAM tape for years in my Sony DSR-570 Cameras. My company has been thru about 10,000 tapes in the last 3 years, and NO drop outs yet!

Am I making an assumption that this tapestock is OK for the JVC?
Robert Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #13
Major Player

Robert,
I had the same great experience with SONY tapes in my DSR-500 and wanted to use them in the HD100 as well. I ran one SONY HDV tape through the camera and had the 'changing mode' problem. Before it was determined that it's a firmware issue some suggested that it could be the tape type. As a result I cleaned the heads and switched quickly to the Panasonic master tapes. Since then I had some 5-6 dropouts (in less than 10 tapes). Far more than in three years of using SONY. I wish I hadn't switched and stayed with SONY... I might still go back (after thorough head cleaning).
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #14
Major Player

I use the cheapest JVC tapes for most of my footage. Never cleaned heads, never had problems and drop outs are rare... not a single one on the last 20 tapes. From what I've read by a JVC technician in this forum, these tapes are as good as expensive tapes for the heads. The difference is on the footage durability and risk of drop outs. From what he said, JVC, Panasonic or Fuji are the tapes that should be used with the HD100.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #15
Major Player

Tape Brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
I use the cheapest JVC tapes for most of my footage. Never cleaned heads, never had problems and drop outs are rare... not a single one on the last 20 tapes. From what I've read by a JVC technician in this forum, these tapes are as good as expensive tapes for the heads. The difference is on the footage durability and risk of drop outs. From what he said, JVC, Panasonic or Fuji are the tapes that should be used with the HD100.
Apparently, from all the various reports, there is no consensus on what brand and type of tapes to use. There seem to be reports of problems with all brands while there are also people who swear that their particular tape choice produces flawless results. I think that there is also another factor, that also plays role in other issues, such as the SSE, etc. What some percieve as an issue (a small dropout) because it is in the middle of a shot that is needed for a broadcast/corporate product, others might overlook either because some users are less experienced and might simply miss it or the location of said dropout is in the middle of some unimportant footage. Hence the subjectivity of the reports; a glass half full - half empty. I believe the same goes for calibration issues with SSE and CA. A lot of this is in the eye of the beholder (experience of the user) and monitoring equipment.

Getting back to the tape brands, I would like to hear from people who have used SONY HDV tapes extensively in the HD100. As I mentioned earlier, we used those tapes and other Sony professional models extensively before with excellent results. I only switched to Panasonic as a result of problems with 'mode changing', which were at the time wrongly contributed to the Sony tape lubrication. We selected the highest brand of Panasonic tapes yet, they allow dropouts to happen. And yes, we 'unpack' them prior to shooting (which is something we never needed to do with Sony tapes). In my work would be only too happy to pay $15-25 per tape knowing that I can rely on their quality. In documentary field there are too many shots, which cannot be replicated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems