New Film in Pre-Production, shooting with HD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 1st, 2006, 03:44 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese
he said that as long as the 720p wasn’t side by side with film, you cant really tell that it wasn’t shot on film.
16mm is also (naturally) film and it looks different on the big screen. I agree 720p would most likely look like 16mm when blown up, (but as Tim said, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.) Because even 1080 doesn't really look 100% like 35mm. I personally have never seen anything shot on a Varicam and blown up.
But the great thing about the HD100 in my opinion is that it's the only one between the 4 affordable HD cams that look filmic. All the others either look like video or deinterlaced video. Just my opinion of course. But on the technical side, it’s also the only one with full resolution and truly progressive. So in terms of rez power, you made the right decision too.

Good luck with your project.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:04 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Holtermann
If you are shooting something edgy you can definately use it to your advantage to give your material a "look". If you watched Devils Rejects in the theater you saw Arri S-16mm blown up to 35mm. It worked well for the films presence.

Don't let specs shadder your dreams or your visuals. Sometimes less can work to your creative advantage.
I actually am shooting 2 edgy films, so you are totally right about it adding that dirty look... its a look that i actually want, and will get without effort i guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
There is a hd100 filmout floating around here somewhere which is amazing. If you haven't seen it, look for it. Anyone doing an art project with the first name Guiseppi has a vote of confidence from me. Good luck and sign me up
Thanks John, ill look for it! and thanks for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
But the great thing about the HD100 in my opinion is that it's the only one between the 4 affordable HD cams that look filmic. All the others either look like video or deinterlaced video. Just my opinion of course. But on the technical side, it’s also the only one with full resolution and truly progressive. So in terms of rez power, you made the right decision too.

Good luck with your project.
I totally agree Michael, everything else I’ve seen doesn’t come close to what the hd100 can do. Thanks for the luck!

There will be more information on the new film shortly, we are currently in the middle of script re-writes, and as soon as we are registered, i can give more information on it. That’s the film that we will be shooting much sooner than "Roundabout"

Again if anyone is interested in being a part of the making of these films, or just wanting to ask questions, or be a fly on the wall, please contact us at RoundaboutTheMovie@yahoo.com
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:00 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
There is a hd100 filmout floating around here somewhere which is amazing. If you haven't seen it, look for it. Anyone doing an art project with the first name Guiseppi has a vote of confidence from me. Good luck and sign me up

I'm actually trying to find the clips, but I cant... Does anyone on here know the link?
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM   #19
Major Player

If I might add another side to the resolution with filmout discussion... In general, nobody notices a lack of resolution unless it's side-by-side with something of greater resolution. I've projected SD material on a 30 foot screen and it looks great. It helps that it's SDI video all the way from the camera to the projector, but it's SD nonetheless. It's only when you intercut SD video with HD video that you notice how bad it looks. If someone shows a 35mm originated film right before or after you, it doesn't matter what HD format you shot in, it's not gonna match the resolution. Instead, focus on making your product outstanding in other areas.

I think if you're telling a compelling story, even if you're projecting SD, people will forget about the technical details and get into what you're showing them. Don't get hung up over whether you look like film, just focus on making it look good and telling a good story, beacuse the only people walking out of the theater saying "that looked like a 720p transfer to 35mm" are video nerds like us. Everybody else is gonna be saying "I loved that scene where the protagonist confronted her accuser," unless you spent too much time being a technician and not enough time being an artist.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:55 PM   #20
New Boot

worser nerd

Stephan, if anyone comes out of a theatre saying..."I loved that scene where the protagonist confronted her accuser," I would have to say they might make the nerds in our forum seem pretty un-nerdy.
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Stephan, if anyone comes out of a theatre saying..."I loved that scene where the protagonist confronted her accuser," I would have to say they might make the nerds in our forum seem pretty un-nerdy.
You think so, even compared to our typical forum member with his face pressed against the screen saying "no resolution, just simply no resolution", throughout the movie? I think we could dominate that geek contest.

Good luck Giuseppe, although I think you should read the post "35mm filmout of HD100 report" and don't do as they did.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems