Ok, I'm in at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 1st, 2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Ok, I'm in

Placed my order at tapeworkstexas, who I highly recommend as a vendor.

I'll waiting like a waiting for Christmas morning until it comes.

One question: it sounds like to really use it properly, you need an external monitor. I know when I use my DVX100A, and I used dvrack, it made our shots 100 times better.

I saw some fairly inexpensive monitors that do 16x9, but they didn't have 720p resolution.

Wouldn't they still help a lot in framing and focus, even if you aren't seeing an HD image?
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Stevens
I know when I use my DVX100A, and I used dvrack, it made our shots 100 times better.
Congratulations!
If you have DVRack you might want to consider the HD Power pack for it. It works with the HD100 and will allow you to control your exposure more easily. It doesn't show full HD resolution but it can be adequate, it depends on what you shoot.
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Major Player

The dvrack belongs to a friend of mine, so I can't always count on it being available. I was also thinking of events where I can't have a laptop attached to the camera.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Major Player

dvrack

where is the best place to purchase dvrack? And does a laptop do justice to the image compared to a pro monitor?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Kim
where is the best place to purchase dvrack? And does a laptop do justice to the image compared to a pro monitor?
The final result depends a lot on the type of computer (laptop) that you use for it. The best use for it is to check for color accuracy, exposure (WFM), and to use it as a hard-disk recorder. The split screen feature is also a life saver.
I found the best deal with Video Guys (do a google search). They seem specialized in Serious Magic software and they run good promotions.
You can download the demo from the Serious Magic site.
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:07 PM   #6
Major Player

dvrack

hmm... I have a mac... is there a dvrack-like program for mac? I heard somewhere that final cut can do something like what dvrack can do.
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Kim
hmm... I have a mac... is there a dvrack-like program for mac? I heard somewhere that final cut can do something like what dvrack can do.
No, FCP can't replace DVRack. I'm a Mac guy too, I bought a Wintel laptop just to run DVRack. At the end the cost of the lappy + dvrack was less than an HD monitor and it has the advantage of being much more portable. Of course I'm stuck to FW for monitoring but that's OK for now.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:00 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you have the bucks, Gateway is getting ready to ship a new tablet PC that has Intel Core Duo at up to 2.1ghz, a 7200rpm HD and an ATI X1400 graphic chip as options (supports up to 2gig 667hz ram). It has a 14" screen at 1280x768 and lots of other stuff to drive the price up. I didn't see them mention an express card slot though. Called the ME-285 I think.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

DVRACK, PC & Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
If you have the bucks, Gateway is getting ready to ship a new tablet PC that has Intel Core Duo at up to 2.1ghz, a 7200rpm HD and an ATI X1400 graphic chip as options (supports up to 2gig 667hz ram). It has a 14" screen at 1280x768 and lots of other stuff to drive the price up. I didn't see them mention an express card slot though. Called the ME-285 I think.
Maybe with BootCamp it will be possible to run DVRACK on a intel-based Mac.... Has anybody tried it out yet?
Edwin Beeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:39 PM   #10
Barry Wan Kenobi

It definitely is possible. When Serious Magic introduced DVC Rack for the HVX200 at NAB, they were demonstrating it running on a MacBook Pro using BootCamp.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems