Slowmotion Video/audio Norm Speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 19th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Slowmotion Video/audio Norm Speed

Just wanted to ask if anyone shot a music video with the HD100, Achieving RECORDING some of the video in slow motion, but the artis sings at norm speed, thus slowing down the moment as the artist sings. Can this be achieved withe HD100?
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Slowmo but normal sounding audio

To achieve the effect requires two things.

1) You need to overcrank the camera when shooting

2) The performer must lipsynch to a playback that is also running at an equivalent higher than normal speed.

So-
If you are Shooting 50fps (or 60 for NTSC zone) the music playback must be at double speed. You can make a double speed version your song in most audio editing software.

On the HD100
You would shoot at 50 or 60 fps by using either the "SDHD" mode or via the component output.

Getting the performance right with the speeded up audio playback will probably take a bit of practice. - Singing at double speed can't be easy ;)

Les Howarth
Les Howarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
Just wanted to ask if anyone shot a music video with the HD100, Achieving RECORDING some of the video in slow motion, but the artis sings at norm speed, thus slowing down the moment as the artist sings. Can this be achieved withe HD100?

Maybe I don't understand the effect you are trying to achieve. You want the audio of the song to progress at normal speed and pitch while the video images come at you in slow motion. A couple of things come to mind.

1. The artist continues to move at "normal" speed but the background is slowed.
That I think you would chroma key. Shoot the background separately at a higher speed than you use for your shots of the singer in front of a green screen.

2. The artist slows with the background.
Les's suggestion of shooting the artist lip synching to a speeded up playback will give you lipsynching, but on final playback the lip movements won't appear to be in slow motion. They can't, either, if the lips have to stay in synch. So if the performer is walking down a street in slow motion, the coordination of body movements and lip movements will appear unnatural. But as you try to move the rest of the body into coordinated speed through performance, you approach number 1.

Either way, the HD100 can get you there, since it gives you a few shooting speeds.
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The effect I am trying to do is where the video is in slow motion but the music is not,of course, It's used in some Music video, I'll try to link an example later on today, But I think the way you do it is the way Les said...
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Manny, Les hit it on the nose, that's exactly the way.

It's funny you have come up with this idea, it's one that I have been throwing around with a local artist, one that we but together a video for last year.

I wanted to do it in one long single take with no cuts, but am starting to see the nightmare of doing it that way. However, if you did it with cuts then the artist might not look so rushed at places in the song with a lot of lyrics. More cuts also give you time to move the camera for better and more dramatic looks. My version was going to have his girlfriend in the background throughout trashing the place like a human tornado (constant throwing of glass with beautiful crashes and shatters in the background), while the whole time he is indifferent and moves around the place, as if she was not even there.

I would like to hear what you had in mind.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Knapp
2. The artist slows with the background.
Les's suggestion of shooting the artist lip synching to a speeded up playback will give you lipsynching, but on final playback the lip movements won't appear to be in slow motion. They can't, either, if the lips have to stay in synch. So if the performer is walking down a street in slow motion, the coordination of body movements and lip movements will appear unnatural.
That's rather the point. Check out this music video from a local band: http://www.12rods.com/packages/video...ersonality.mp4

It was shot at three speeds, undercranked, normal, and overcranked, with the lip sync track played at matching speeds. I think having all the different speds right next to each other kind of illustrates the kind of effects you can get.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey Stehan I tried looking at that footage, but could not, I get lots of text codes, but no video. What format is the link? I use Mac/G5
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #8
Major Player

It's probably a problem with the server sending out the wrong MIME type. Windows tends to ignore MIME types and looks at the extension to determine a file type, while Macs are pretty much completely the opposite. If there's a way you can manually save the file to disk and open in Quicktime you should be good. It's just standard MPEG-4 video.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

no Luck shuks... I really wanted to see the footage....
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #10
Major Player

Rename to MPG?
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
no Luck shuks... I really wanted to see the footage....

VideoLan has a cross platform video player called VLC. Someone else suggested it to me in the Cineform section of DVInfo because I was having trouble running mp4 and m2t files on my system. It is available for Macs, and this link should take you to the page where you can download the Mac version.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It worked for me for both file types.
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Stephen, I was able to see the footage
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:07 AM   #13
Major Player

Aha, I use VLC for everything I want to watch but didn't know they had a Mac version. Silly me.
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:04 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Manny: by slow motion, do you actually mean 50%? I think usually you can slow down the footage by a few %, and still get that slow feel to it. Unless you are trying to get a special effect with 50%... then you pitch the playback faster with the same % during the takes, and try to have the singer synclip to that. I haven't tried it, but I think that will give a decent effect, instead doing 50%. Anyone actually tried this with the hd100?

or you could just rent a varicam:)
Nima Taheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:17 AM   #15
Contributor

This is a common technique in music video, although you are ususally not after a full 50% slo-mo. On film you might typically overcrank at 30 -36fps (for 24/25p playback) and speed up your music track to match. Generally you use a timecoded CD or DAT for playback, so you can have code on a clapper for each scene to facilitate post. You can't do that on the JVC, but you could still shoot at 50/60fps and do fantastic slomos in post anywhere between normal speed and 50% speed by using software.
Slowing down by 50% is more obvious but does have it's place, but usually not for lipsync.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems