Having buyer's remorse - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Every time you move it. I don't mean lifting it by the handle and move it a couple of feet away to a new setup. You put it in the bag, drive somewhere for a wedding/video/etc, take it out, set it up, check the back focus.
You'll be glad you did it.
I check by locations...Once I didn't tighten the nob enough, but I noticed it before shooting.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Patricia,

I have to agree, you will come to love the fact that this camera does not autofocus.

In many situations a camera that has auto focus (and suddenly tries to focus on something other than the primary subject) screams to the audience that this is not a pro operator.

This camera is awesome, you will love it.

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #18
Major Player

I am waiting to get mine too and I am a little worried about the lack of noob features. Not really AF since I never use it but I am a little worried about the lack of optical stabilization.

It will be interesting to see what my footage will look like.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Jonathan,

In my experience you will want to do as much as you can on sticks.

The only thing that I ever wish for with this camera is a wider lens.

Tom
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Yes, I will miss a wider lens. The JVC wide-angle adapter is coming in the box with my camera tomorrow but it looks like it's only a marginal improvement. Every little bit helps though.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Lamm
Yes, I will miss a wider lens. The JVC wide-angle adapter is coming in the box with my camera tomorrow but it looks like it's only a marginal improvement. Every little bit helps though.
Is that the fujinon one? I am going to have to wait till next month to pick up a couple of those since I already spent my load on Marshall monitors and senn mics. This cam is a bottomless pit.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I'm trying to find a wider lens to rent for a shoot, but having no luck - yet.

Tom
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Jonathan, I meant the following:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0
Old June 21st, 2006, 12:25 AM   #24
Trustee

BTW, Patricia, I was talking with Jonathan Ames and he mentioned that we will be addressing this issue, together with others, in a future episode of "2nd unit". It's all about the story that you want to tell. Sometimes it's better to let go the safety net and experiment, even when it means that you can ruin your footage. You'll soon find that a little of risk goes a long way to improve your art.
Old June 21st, 2006, 07:58 AM   #25
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
Patricia,

I have to agree, you will come to love the fact that this camera does not autofocus.

In many situations a camera that has auto focus (and suddenly tries to focus on something other than the primary subject) screams to the audience that this is not a pro operator.
Using AF incorrectly screams "not a pro" just as much as seeing out of fous shots or watching an operator touch-up focus during a shot.

No one who knows how to use AF, leaves AF ON DURING a shot. You use it momemtarily to get focus at the same time you frame so the subject is in the center.

Exactly the same way one zooms in fully onto the subject to get exact focus and then zooms back out and reframes.

The difference is AF can do this far more accurately than a human can and far faster.

Moreover, AF offers the OPTION of leaving it ON if you want. I'd bet on it over any human operator trying to SEE focus on a low-rez LCD in the bright sun. Or, looking into the low-rez VH with Varifocal glasses in the bright sun. Not everybody is 18. :)

AF is perfect for HD because it can use the huge number of pixels in the three CCDs -- while your eye depends on the relatively small number of pixels in the LCD and VF. It wins, you lose.

Likewise, AF doesn't get distracted by sweat pouring into your eyes. Or bugs crawling down your neck. It works in milliseconds while you work in seconds.

And, if you want to focus manually you can do so because the lens, except for the moment of using AF, is always in Manual.

I will admit it doesn't have the same feel. But, speed and accuracy seems more important to me.
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:31 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks for your comments, Steve. I'm glad to know that it's not just noobs that feel that AF is a desirable button on the camera, even if only used sparingly. So what do you do with the HD100 under the conditions you mention when you don't have AF?
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:53 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Using AF incorrectly screams "not a pro" just as much as seeing out of fous shots or watching an operator touch-up focus during a shot.

No one who knows how to use AF, leaves AF ON DURING a shot. You use it momemtarily to get focus at the same time you frame so the subject is in the center.

Exactly the same way one zooms in fully onto the subject to get exact focus and then zooms back out and reframes.

The difference is AF can do this far more accurately than a human can and far faster.

So are you saying that the HD100 SHOULD have an autofocus button, like the FX1 and I assume the Z1?
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM   #28
Wrangler

though steve can obviously speak for himself, i don't think he is saying that, just that AF can be a useful tool.

there are so many levels to being a "professional" that i think this conventional wisdom that AF is somehow unprofessional is more snobbery than actual...i use AF all the time, because i do a lot of outdoors, wildlife, and adventure sports footage. i have some lenses which have no AF feature (35mm lenses mounted to an XL2 do not permit AF) and some which do. do i feel less professional when i use AF? no. it's just another tool, useful in some situations, especially run-and-gun, where speed is essential and tracking an unpredictable motion path may be exceptionally challenging for manual focusing (as in, "hey, where'd that kayaker go???"). my "unprofessional" AF-tracked footage works just fine at the level of producing corporate video. if they pay you for it, it's professional. unless there is a servo issue with how the lighting shifts in the footage, no one can tell the difference.

it's not how it gets in the camera that even matters, it is how it is used in the editor, then output to a product that they either pay you for, or not. the only "professional" technique is the one that someone is willing to pay you to use.....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM   #29
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Lamm
Thanks for your comments, Steve. I'm glad to know that it's not just noobs that feel that AF is a desirable button on the camera, even if only used sparingly. So what do you do with the HD100 under the conditions you mention when you don't have AF?

I'm praying for an HD10 replacement with 24p and 60p and AF.

Yes, that would be a 720p Z1, but much smaller. Like the HVX.

For the HD100 a good tripod will take a lot of the strain out of shooting. When one's back is hurting it's hard to take the time to focus and expose. But, as I said I'm not 18. :)
Old June 21st, 2006, 02:20 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
Jonathan,

In my experience you will want to do as much as you can on sticks.

The only thing that I ever wish for with this camera is a wider lens.

Tom

Preach on Brother - the cool thing/bad thing about Hi-Def is that it 'sees' everything - including all the little shakes and bumps. And because the camera w/battery is so heavy, you won't want to lug it around for very long.

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems