Attaching the DR-HD100 to the camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Attaching the DR-HD100 to the camera

I can't believe how difficult it is proving to be to get an answer to this supposedly simple question. How do I attach the DR-HD100 recorder to the GY-HD100U camera with an IDX Endura E-7S battery and mount attached? I want to run the recorder off the IDX, and have the whole works hanging on the back of the camera.

I went to some sites in the UK and they give all kinds of detail info:

These folks tell you about the battery kit and its optional addon:
http://www.prohd.net/item/index_html?item=IDX-100-E
------------------------
Specifications
Description: Power Package for the GY-HD100E and GY-HD101E camcorders.
The optional add-on mounting kit O-FS100 secures and powers the DR-HD100E hard disk recorder.
Package Contents: IDX-100-E package contents:
A-E2HD100 camcorder battery bracket
2 x ENDURA E-7S lithium-ion batteries (14.8V, 71 W/h)
VL-2 sequential 2-channel quick charger
Notes:
(i) This package is uniquely available from JVC appointed dealers
(ii) To mount DR-HD100 disk drive O-FS100 mounting kit is required
(iii) IDX-100-E package components and disk mounting kit O-FS100 are uniquely available from IDX dealers.

Mounting Kit: The optional O-FS100 mounting kit contents:
O-LWP add-on bracket (normally used to attach radio microphones)
Special thumb-screw for securing DR-HD100E
FS cable, for powering both DR-HD100E and lighting from DC tap
Notes:
(i) This package is uniquely available from IDX dealers
(ii) O-FS mounting kit is designed as an add-on to A-E2HD100 bracket.
-------------------------

And these non-US JVC folks will show you a picture of it in place:
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/getResource2...0e.pdf?id=6253

The US version of the kit that came with our HD100s has the same parts as the European, but one less battery. I compared the model number of my mounting plate with the one in the European description and it is the same. So in theory, we should be able to use the same optional part to attach the recorder. When I search for the part by model number - nothing comes up. In fact there is nothing quite like this at the IDX site, or the JVC USA site. I don't know where to get one.

Ah, but we were told that only authorized IDX dealers will sell this special part. "No problem" - says I, as I turned to trusty ZGC who sold me the recorder. I spoke to Chris(tine) and she went crazy trying to track something down too. Muttering under her breath she admitted that ZGC isn't an IDX dealer. They are going to keep looking.

Now, IDX boasts at its site that it has 150 distributorships and "hundreds" of dealers worldwide. But what they don't seem to do is post a roster or map or something so you can contact one of them to buy their products.

Does anybody know how the hey a US based user can get what the Europeans can get to mount the DR-HD100 to the camera with the proper IDX part? (Should be something like O-FS100, or its US equivalent whatever that is.)

I should also mention that the option of using some kind of hot shoe bracket does not appeal to me because I want to be able to use that spot for a small camera mount light.

And please - don't tell me about gaffer tape or other sticky substances - right now I'm not in the mood.

Oh, and one more thing for those of you with the AB kits - the Europeans have a special mounting for the DR-HD100 that comes bundled with the AB kit they are getting free from JVC when they buy the GY-HD100E. It is not at all like the IDX mount. Did anyone here get one? I hope you have better luck tracking one down than I am.
Stephen Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Knapp
I
Now, IDX boasts at its site that it has 150 distributorships and "hundreds" of dealers worldwide. But what they don't seem to do is post a roster or map or something so you can contact one of them to buy their products.
I see on the IDX site a lookup for dealers/reps. I looked up for Los Angeles and came up with names, phone numbers and email addresses. It is on the lower right of this page:
http://www.idxtek.com/
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
I see on the IDX site a lookup for dealers/reps. I looked up for Los Angeles and came up with names, phone numbers and email addresses. It is on the lower right of this page:
http://www.idxtek.com/
Thanks Jack.

I looked up the rep for our area at the IDX site. The number they list had been assigned to a new telephone customer a couple of months ago. But since the rep was listed for another company name, I was able to track him down to a new number and location. I spoke to him - and he was not sure if the part was available in the US at all. He gave me the name and number of the US Sales manager for IDX and suggested that she could give me the final word. She's in California, but was not in the office when I called. I was advised to try again in a couple of hours.

I will let the list know what I find out.
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Jack.

I will let the list know what I find out.
I just spoke with Michelle King, US Sales Manager for IDX, here's the skinny:

The mounting bracket for the DR-HD100 recorder that IDX makes to go with the battery system we got when we bought the GY-HD100U camera, is not available in the US yet. Apparently JVC changed specs on how that device was to be mounted, and IDX had to scrub the plan. They decided to come out with their own solution, and apparently the UK market is first in line. She projected that it would be at least another month before US dealers would handle them. Therefore the only way to get one now is to go through Eurpoean dealers. I have sent an inquiry to Ortus media in Middlesex, IDX reps for the UK, to see what arrangements are possible for direct purchase of this kit, including pricing. Recall that the kit includes not only a camera mount, but also a cable that lets you power BOTH the recorder and a light from the central battery.

If there are others here who want this information, I will post it to the list.

Unfortunately, I do not have any more information for the Anton Bauer folks.
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
I just spoke with Michelle King, US Sales Manager for IDX, here's the skinny:

The mounting bracket for the DR-HD100 recorder that IDX makes to go with the battery system we got when we bought the GY-HD100U camera, is not available in the US yet.
Sorry this is so piecemeal. The IDX website will tell you about an upgraded battery mount called the A-E2H1, which is similar in style and name to the A-E2HD100 that we got. You will also note that this will accomodate and optional side mount for a recorder, which is called the O-LWP. Michelle King assured me that this will NOT work with our DR-HD100 Firestore recorder. That was the original solution which is no scrubbed for the special JVC recorder. She did not say whether or not other Firestore units might work that way, and I neglected to ask.

I thought you should know.
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

the Europeans have a special mounting for the DR-HD100 that comes bundled with the AB kit they are getting free from JVC when they buy the GY-HD100E.

Sorry, where did you see that Europeans get the AB kit for free?

I think this is only a U.S promotion.
We have the "spring half price IDX kit special"...
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/tech/prohd2/cg?page=jvcidx
Johnnie Behiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Behiri
the Europeans have a special mounting for the DR-HD100 that comes bundled with the AB kit they are getting free from JVC when they buy the GY-HD100E.

Sorry, where did you see that Europeans get the AB kit for free?

I think this is only a U.S promotion.
We have the "spring half price IDX kit special"...
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/tech/prohd2/cg?page=jvcidx

Oops. My apologies, didn't mean to get anybody's hopes up. It's sold as a kit, but I should not have assumed that the promo is going on there as here.

But the O-FS100 is not part of the kit even in Europe. It is an addon option. Whereas the AB recorder mounting unit is included in THEIR kit, though again, I have no information to say it is being offered free as a promotion. Nor do I know whether or not a similar mount is included with the promotional AB battery kit in the US.
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Gang,

I bought the kit from Focus that allows me to attach the drive to the top of the camera via the hot shoe, works fine.

I also just ordered the cable from BH that will let me power the drive from the on board IDX battery.

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Tom,

Which cable did you order from BH? I'd love to be able to run my drive off of my IDX batteries too.

Thanks,

Geoff
Geoff Murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Geoff,

Below is quote from Carl at JVC, he reports that this cable will work on the IDX system to power the drives.

Hi Tim & others,

I'm happy to report the following:

1. The Anton Bauer "POWERTAP OPEN FS4" cable, part #8075-0056, will plug into the IDX battery bracket, and it will power the DRHD100.

2. The Anton Bauer "PT MULTI" splitter, part #8075-0013, will plug into the IDX battery bracket. This will allow you to run up to four accessories off of the IDX battery, plus the camera. For example, the DRHD100, a light, and a wireless mic all at once. I used small cable ties to secure it to the top of the camera, right in front of the battery bracket. Be careful to limit total power consumption of all accessories and the camera so as to not overload the battery.

3. I powered up the camera, the DRHD100, and an Anton Bauer Ultra-Light 2, and rolled tape and HDD. It operated all items fine. I only did a short test. I will do a longer test over the weekend.

4. I mounted the DRHD100 to an IDX part #O-LWP - DV Camera Wireless Receiver Mounting Bracket. The bracket then attaches to the IDX battery adaptor. I used the supplied cradle for the DRHD100. I attached the cradle to the plate with a small tripod base screw. I had to drill a hole in the O-LWP plate to put the screw in. Be careful to set the DRHD100 cradle high enough up so that when the power cable is pludgged into the bottom, you cn still set the camera down on a table without putting and pressure on the power connector. Anton Bauer is in the process of changing this connector to a right angle design so that less clearance is needed.

IDX is working on a total solution, so at some point you can get it all from one source. Right now, you can put together a solution using IDX and Anton Bauer items together.

Regards, Carl

Based on that, I ordered this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0

I will report back how it works,

Tom
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems