Another Final Cut Update, JVC Users Snubbed Again - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 24th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schaller
I find this lack of 720p24 particularly odd since it is possible to import it into iMovie (as 720p59.94 AIC), then reconform it to 23.98 in cinematools, then import it into FCP, and there it is, on the timeline, as AIC 720p24. One has to import the audio seperately, but, at least in a sub-optimal way, it's already there. I can't see that it would be a major programming problem to formalize it. I can only conclude that there is another reason that has perhaps to do with economics and market collusion (which is baseless speculation on my part, but what else has Apple given us to go on?). Why else would Apple continue to drag its feet in supporting the best film-like video format yet for the under $20k crowd?

Aren't there Apple folks on this website? What, indeed, gives?

Maybe this whole Shake thing has something to do with it. Apple have a strange way of totally ignoring its users while it works on releasing a 'revolutionary' new product - maybe FCP is in the process of being totally rewitten.

Or maybe the 720p bloke has been off on extended leave...

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Maybe the fact that the BBC went off on one a while back on using the Panasonic HVX200 and also use FCP alot is why it was supported (in UK terms) quickly, talking to the BBC it's all you heard about, now of course they seem a little less sure of the future but continue there year long test into the P2 system in general.

Now the whole issue I have with the Apple system is the main issue here as well, it's a closed system, everyone must wait for Apple, it's the same buying into Avid and it's what will hold those two back in the long term, it's the one reason I believe Adobe have struck the right concept so that even if Adobe are slow at releasing something it means a 3rd party who saw the need can fill it and we can all get on film making, I neither land on any side of the fence PC or Mac wise or indeed what people actually use edit software wise BUT I do land on the side of what works for Indie program and film makers and it leaves me using Adobe PP2 etc. I just wish Apple and Avid would get off there backsides and support the JVC, I love my 101E and it's a camera that deserves universal support NOW.
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #33
Major Player

Here is what I believe happened:

When the JVC was unvailed at NAB 2005 (I think I am correct on this date) the first model in all the tests were very faulty. Like in the first round of the "24" test and others massive SSE was present and the camera was not useable. I really think that Apple and Avid thought that the ProHD JVC was as good as dead. I don't think many people thought the JVC would get fixed and have a great rebound with massive support (They were wrong). Then Apple was totally involved in the Intel Crossover, so all the Final Cut Studio Apps had to first be converted to the new Intel chips before anything really new is going into them. Now they still are working on their "MAC PRO" which is the real Editing Workhorse (Like the G5) and have decided to just unvail them together.

Avid is largely an Editing Company, so they have no excuse.

The Canon People are waiting for their 24f and 30f, but their camera has only be around since the beginning of the year, so they can wait! Just kidding you Canon people.

As I said before, the HVX200 was able to be supported so easily because DVCPRO HD was already being used and the format was already in FCP 4.5 HD. It was only then about intergrating P2 which seemed easy for them to do.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #34
Major Player

It appears that Avid were too busy working on Interplay and getting Mac support up to PC levels and were not prepared to allocate resources to HDV1. However, I think this is lame and I agree that they really have no excuse. Btw, Avid also doesn't support DVCProHD 720p/25 to the best of my knowledge, so it appears FCP is well ahead on that one.

I just hope that both Avid and Apple are monitoring this board because there are a lot of upset people. We are using Canopus Edius at the moment. It has a long long way to go to be a mature edit system but I'm going to keep an eye on it and will gladly move over properly if and when it's ready.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony Michael Wilson
It appears that Avid were too busy working on Interplay and getting Mac support up to PC levels and were not prepared to allocate resources to HDV1. However, I think this is lame and I agree that they really have no excuse. Btw, Avid also doesn't support DVCProHD 720p/25 to the best of my knowledge, so it appears FCP is well ahead on that one.

I just hope that both Avid and Apple are monitoring this board because there are a lot of upset people. We are using Canopus Edius at the moment. It has a long long way to go to be a mature edit system but I'm going to keep an eye on it and will gladly move over properly if and when it's ready.
When I get a Intel Mac I plan on buying Edius. Version 4 is adding Professional Features like multicam. It looks like a good editor. I really would like to test it out, but it will never be a OSX program.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems