Another Final Cut Update, JVC Users Snubbed Again at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Another Final Cut Update, JVC Users Snubbed Again

Final Cut Released an Update last night that is not a numbered change, but added this:

1080/24P HDV Compressor

It is designed (I assume) for the Canon's 24F although Capture is still not possible. Why wasn't a 720/24P HDV added also considering it has been out for SO LONG!

This is just me ranting again at Apple. This again says that the 720/24P update is probably coming soon, but I keep saying that and we keep getting screwed. I am still putting my money on late August after the Apple convention.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
Final Cut Released an Update last night that is not a numbered change, but added this:

1080/24P HDV Compressor

It is designed (I assume) for the Canon's 24F although Capture is still not possible. Why wasn't a 720/24P HDV added also considering it has been out for SO LONG!

This is just me ranting again at Apple. This again says that the 720/24P update is probably coming soon, but I keep saying that and we keep getting screwed. I am still putting my money on late August after the Apple convention.
I hope they have a good excuse - like they are busy working on the new FCP and Pro Mac Tower with built-in HD-SDI I/O, Realtime critical HD monitoring, a load of internal hard drive bays...etc
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

"Unconfirmed sources" and from what I hear... Apple is re-building FCP 6, the next major release, for Intel -based Macs compatibility and they will include the 24P HDV feature in that update, and not until then. Expected in the fall.
Point Zero Pictures
http://www.pointzeropictures.com
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Major Player

And so I will wait to get a Mac till they get this worked out......
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Now this is interesting. Both Avid and Apple have been promising HDV1 24/25/50fps support 'soon' for a very long time and now it looks like they'll both be bringing it to market very very late at pretty much the same time. Anyone here know what's really going on?
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony Michael Wilson
Now this is interesting. Both Avid and Apple have been promising HDV1 24/25/50fps support 'soon' for a very long time and now it looks like they'll both be bringing it to market very very late at pretty much the same time. Anyone here know what's really going on?
Avid supporting the JVC (outside of Liquid)? At least we know FCP can support it once this major update is released but Avid's next major release of Xpress Pro (5.5) will not.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Major Player

That's what I mean. AXPro 5.5 is out very soon. The next Avid full release will - we're told - support HDV1 fully. That one will be out 'Q4 2006'. This puts Avid and Apple very close. Both companies have been promising since autumn 2005. Co-incidence?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Major Player

And yes, I'm ignoring Liquid. The future is not bright for what's left from Fast...
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
That's what I mean. AXPro 5.5 is out very soon. The next Avid full release will - we're told - support HDV1 fully. That one will be out 'Q4 2006'. This puts Avid and Apple very close. Both companies have been promising since autumn 2005. Co-incidence?
I didn't hear about the Avid 6, although things are starting to sound fishy. You would think that Apple or Avid would try to get one up on the other and release theirs first, but it doesn't appear that way.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

P**'d off

I bought this camera after hearing they'd demo'd FCP 24P at NAB.
And I've waited, and used hdvxdv (thanks, but not ideal).
C'mon, why demo stuff at all?
James Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
I didn't hear about the Avid 6, although things are starting to sound fishy. You would think that Apple or Avid would try to get one up on the other and release theirs first, but it doesn't appear that way.
Yep. It really is fishy now. Both Apple and Avid keep on promising and it really can't be hard. Both have had 30fps for some time and Avid even has a DNx codec for 720/25p already. Avid tell me that they've had to focus on other things like Interplay but this parallel delay from Apple makes me very suspicious indeed. I'll bet JVC are less than happy. There's an Avid logo on the HD100 box but they (and Apple) still haven't followed through and it really must be hurting JVC by now. I know that Edius can handle it and that there are work-arounds for FCP and plug-ins for Premiere but, without native support from Avid and Apple, ProHD is being unfairly hamstrung by companies that announced full HDV1 support last year at the launch of the HD100. What gives? Does anyone actually know?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Yep. It really is fishy now. Both Apple and Avid keep on promising and it really can't be hard. Both have had 30fps for some time and Avid even has a DNx codec for 720/25p already. Avid tell me that they've had to focus on other things like Interplay but this parallel delay from Apple makes me very suspicious indeed. I'll bet JVC are less than happy. There's an Avid logo on the HD100 box but they (and Apple) still haven't followed through and it really must be hurting JVC by now. I know that Edius can handle it and that there are work-arounds for FCP and plug-ins for Premiere but, without native support from Avid and Apple, ProHD is being unfairly hamstrung by companies that announced full HDV1 support last year at the launch of the HD100. What gives? Does anyone actually know?
There are and it is rediculous. I really would have like the 720/24P Compressor in FCP. If they did that, Focus could have started working on the 720/24P Wrapper and then we don't have to wait for the FCP update.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:25 PM   #13
Major Player

I was at NAB and I saw the apple FCP 24p demode and it looked like it was working great, I watched it for about an hour almost bought the 17" apple note book pro it was being demo'ed on but I also want an HDV burner so I am also going to wait for both. I can tell you that the demonstration of 24p in Final Cut Pro was working very well.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:28 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams
I was at NAB and I saw the apple FCP 24p demode and it looked like it was working great, I watched it for about an hour almost bought the 17" apple note book pro it was being demo'ed on but I also want an HDV burner so I am also going to wait for both. I can tell you that the demonstration of 24p in Final Cut Pro was working very well.
And that's what pisses everyone off! They have it, but nothing yet! I really think that the entire Stuido Update will be unvailed along with the "MAC PRO" towers at the Mac conference in August.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:36 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
And that's what pisses everyone off! They have it, but nothing yet! I really think that the entire Stuido Update will be unvailed along with the "MAC PRO" towers at the Mac conference in August.
Yes, I think your right about that and that's what I am holding out for.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems