Mac Workflow confusion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 14th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #16
Major Player

I'm fairly sure I have the A model. I bought it in May from B&H a while after the update. There's also an "A" sticker on the bottom by the serial #.

I'm still a little confused as to what the other TC generators do. REC seems to record it sequentially like regular DV. What does REGEN do again?

For my wedding work I've designed the workflow to where I capture all the tapes whole (just to have everything there). Then I do a start/stop detect from within FCP (I love that feature). This puts a marker on every start/stop. Then I either dump in a whole tape to the timeline or go through and set in/out points and grab clips from the viewer. Either way having the start/stop markers is invaluable as it tells me how long I can multi-cam a given sequence (toasts, dances, etc.) and when to expect a cut to move on to the next clip.

I haven't done an HD wedding yet, but I'm glad I tested before I did. I wouldn't mind having each clip separate (though that would amount to A LOT of clips after a 12 hour (14 tape) tape wedding). But I can't afford to lose those 5 seconds from each clip.

You mentioned that HDVxDV can capture over the breaks. That might work for me, but then I’ll lose the ability to do a start/stop detect in FCP (I think). Hopefully there is a fix/solution in the works. Otherwise it looks like I'll be learning a different workflow for HD.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
I'm still a little confused as to what the other TC generators do. REC seems to record it sequentially like regular DV. What does REGEN do again?
REGEN works like a normal miniDV TC reader/generator. However, you need to make sure that if you stop the tape to review, you put it into record over existing TC, and not on empty tape. Otherwise you will have a timecode break. Therefore post-roll is as important as preroll with REGEN mode.
The idea with REGENerated TC is that there will never be a timecode break because it reads what it already on the tape and then continues it with frame accuracy. It didn't seem to work perfectly on the HD100, but seems to be better on the HD100A.

REC mode TC generator is similar, but it doesn't read what TC is already on the tape. Instead it just remembers what TC value you left off with when you hit pause/stop and continues with that TC when you hit Record regardless of position on the tape.

Obviously FREE RUN TC is continuously generated. This is useful for "time-of-day" recording with multiple cameras.
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for updating me on those TC options. I think I understand them now.

It seems that the problem is on the end of FCP because it believes the TC is broken. Under "User Prefs" I went in and changed where it says "On timecode break..." to "Warn after capture." Previously it had been "Make new clip." Instead of continuing to capture over the breaks it stops at the first start/stop and says "Capture was stopped due to a problem with the incoming stream. This might be a problem with the tape. All media up to this point has been preserved.” But yet the timecode is continuous on the camera.

I tried this recording under REC and REGEN and both had the same result. Capturing to AIC was able to capture all the footage, but it would create new clips at random -in the middle of a recording (possible minor tape dropouts?). This could also be attributed to my slower computer.

At some point I'm going to have to call Apple to get an "official” answer and maybe have someone from Pro Care troubleshoot w/ me. Any pearls of wisdom from anyone else would be appreciated in the meantime.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #19
Tourist

Sorry in advance if this is a basic/stupid question....

But is it possible to use the DVHSCap workflow for inputing my JVC hdv 720p 24p footage if I have FCP 4.5 and MAC OSX 10.3.2? I've downloaded the FireWire SDK 23 from the Apple site but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get into the DVHSCap program for inputing. No applications from the FireWire SDK will open. Do I need to download Xcode to run it? I tried but alas I need at least 10.4. How can I run DVHSCap. Am I missing something?

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Dan Adlerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Dan.

Perhaps you could try downloading the FireWire SDK 20 package. I've given a link for it earlier in this thread (Post #8). It contains a very workable version of DVHSCap. I don't know if it will work with OS 10.3.2 or not, but it certainly worked well on my earlier computer which was running OS 10.3.9. (And I think I was running FCP 4.5 at the time.)

Perhaps it's worth a try.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM   #21
Major Player

[QUOTE=David Knaggs;505953]Hi Drew.

CAPTURE:
Capture the .m2t files from the camera or deck using DVHSCap. It is part of the “FireWire SDK 20” package and can be downloaded from this page:
Apple Developer Connection - Development Kits

Hi David,
I am beat. I have downloaded the DVHSCap many times but all I get is the installer. Where is the bit I need to open this program so I can use it. This is driving me mad. I open the file and it gives me the 4 icons, the installer FirewireSDK20c.pkg, the tigerDevToolsFirewireExamples and the readme one plus the program logo. What do I do from here?
Old September 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM   #22
Major Player

Hi Dennis.

Double-click the FirewireSDK20c.pkg icon and it should give you the Installer window for SDK 20. Just select "Macintosh HD" as your destination for the installation and, hopefully, it should be pretty simple from there.

After the installation, if you look in:

Macintosh HD>Developer>FireWireSDK20>Applications

you should then find DVHSCap. Drag the icon into your dock and you should be good to go!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
Hi Dennis.

Double-click the FirewireSDK20c.pkg icon and it should give you the Installer window for SDK 20. Just select "Macintosh HD" as your destination for the installation and, hopefully, it should be pretty simple from there.

After the installation, if you look in:

Macintosh HD>Developer>FireWireSDK20>Applications

you should then find DVHSCap. Drag the icon into your dock and you should be good to go!
Hi David,
Thank you so much. I spent hours working on this and it took me 60 seconds to do what you told me. Why cant the people who make these things explain it better? Thank you.
It means the difference between shooting a person to cam this morning without breaks in the capture. I am sick of losing gaps on capture and usually with a presenter to camera I have to tape in SD which of course doesnt match the rest of my footage as I always shoot in HDV.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems