422 SD or downconvert HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 17th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

422 SD or downconvert HDV?

Hi

I am looking at buying a Bonsai drive that will connect to the component out of the HD100 and record 422 SD lossless.

What I am trying to find out is whether, for SD DVD's, it would be better to film in SD at 422 (Bonsai) or film in HDV 420 and down convert to SD?

I always find that downconverting from HVD to SD is much better quality than just filming in 420 SD.

Anyone help?

Thanks

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Downconverting HD to SD will give a higher quality than just SD.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Steve

Thanks for this. I know that hdv downconverted to mini dv is better that just mini dv. But the comparison I am looking for is with 422 dv captured from the component out of the camera (uncompressed).

kind regards

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
I am looking at buying a Bonsai drive that will connect to the component out of the HD100 and record 422 SD lossless.
The problem I should flag for you here is that, as far as I know, the component out only functions for 720P output, not NTSC or PAL. I think the downconverter built into the camera only outputs to the composite out.
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember attempting to connect to a NTSC monitor with component cables and it wouldn't work. Maybe it works when the camera is in DV mode? This would require some testing.
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The problem I should flag for you here is that, as far as I know, the component out only functions for 720P output, not NTSC or PAL. I think the downconverter built into the camera only outputs to the composite out.
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember attempting to connect to a NTSC with component and it wouldn't work. Maybe it works when the camera is in DV mode? This would require some testing.
I also haven't heard anyone talk abou this either...very interesting.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Not to subvert this thread but I find it interesting that no one has come up with a definitive test of the best way to get a SD image from the hd100. I feel the world is still SD, so this seems like a million dollar question.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:17 AM   #7
New Boot

Component Out in SD

I thnik Tim is right. We have a number of tapes with the infamous broken streams and one way I thought of getting them right was to transfer through the component to DVCPro 50 then redigitize them from that deck into Liquid.

The DVCPro deck would not recognize the input styream from the BR HD 50's component out. The composite worked fine, but of course of no use.
Jacques Menard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems