Corrupted hd100 footage - What is up? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 18th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Corrupted hd100 footage - What is up?

I just finished doing some color tests with my hd100 and almost half the tape is corrupt. Half the bottom screen is artifacted during playback but when I saved a frame grab using ppro2.0 (prohd 24p), this is what I got:

http://avistudios.com/hd100grabs/frame223.bmp

I don't know what to make of it but what bothers me is that I sometimes video tape events and this would really be a problem. I use the Sony premium tapes that are cheap but in all my canon years, they have been perfect!

I loaded a new tape from a different package and it had the same problem but it only happened for a minute and the rest of the footage was fine except for this frame with the big black rectangle:

http://avistudios.com/hd100grabs/frame12.bmp

Most of the footage that I have seen from my hd100s have been great except every now and then I see a little artifact. Even in sd there are little blips here and there. I never had this problem before so my stress levels are getting high since I have a wedding shoot this weekend.

Have anybody experienced this before with thier hd100?

If I am a rare case then I will replace my hd100 since I am still under 30 days. I could try different tape but I just can't see why the Sony tapes could be this bad.

I really appreciate your input :)
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson

I don't know what to make of it but what bothers me is that I sometimes video tape events and this would really be a problem. I use the Sony premium tapes that are cheap but in all my canon years, they have been perfect!

If I am a rare case then I will replace my hd100 since I am still under 30 days. I could try different tape but I just can't see why the Sony tapes could be this bad.

I really appreciate your input :)
Jonathan
There are other discussions regarding the same issues you are having, which state that other brands of tape are not guaranteed to work successfully with the HD100.

see: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70699

I use JVC ProHD tapes and haven't had any problems. Thay are more expensive, but I also shoot weddings and events, so I want to minimise the risks. When someone releases a HD recorder that is not extortionately priced, I'll buy one.

I wonder are other cameras from Sony, Canon and Pannasonic having the same issues?

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Jonathan
There are other discussions regarding the same issues you are having, which state that other brands of tape are not guaranteed to work successfully with the HD100.

see: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70699

I use JVC ProHD tapes and haven't had any problems. Thay are more expensive, but I also shoot weddings and events, so I want to minimise the risks. When someone releases a HD recorder that is not extortionately priced, I'll buy one.

I wonder are other cameras from Sony, Canon and Pannasonic having the same issues?

Andrew
My xl2 and gl2 have never had any problems with the sony tape. That is all I have ever used.

I just put in an order for some prohd tapes. Hopefully they will solve my problem but I still can't believe that all these sony tapes are this bad! It happens the same on sd too. I have used these with great success in the past but this hd100 must be a completely different animal, a very picky animal.

I have not had one flawless tape yet.

About the prohd tape: Should I clean the heads using a standard dry cleaning tape before using the prohd tape?
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i see little blips here and there with the jvc pro hd tapes as well.
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I'm also using the $10 a pop JVC tapes, and I see red... literally. I have at least two clips where the whole frame is solid red for about 9 frames, the fading back to the image. I also have a little of the lower 3rd breaking up as well.

Have you tried calling JVC yet? I called yesterday, and got the recorded message that I was number 0 in the que. After about 10 minutes of crappy muzac and the message that all assistants are busy, I get a fellow who gives me another number to call. So I call it, and get the JVC Pro line, and the message that my wait time will be 1 minute. After another 5-10 minutes of muzac and recorded messages, I get the same guy, who says "In my limited experience, you need to either send the camera to an authorized JVC service center, or send it back to the dealer and get a replacement".
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Seeing this post and others, this is annoyingly starting to look like a pattern.

I taped about 20 minutes with a fair amount of panning, and no problem.

Then I taped about an hour in a different location, and it seemed whenever I panned a bit, I had problems.

Next I taped about 25 minutes outside, and I had a problem everytime the camera moved.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen the problem when the camera moved? I'm going to try cleaning the heads to see if that makes a difference... anyone try that?

Anyone using any of the DTE solutions seeing this? Sounds like some people are having a lot of problems, others not having any.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Stevens
this is annoyingly starting to look like a pattern.
I agree. Let's get to the bottom of this. Can everyone who is having these symptoms please state:
  • whether your HD100 is an 'A' version or not
  • what frame rate you shot at
  • what NLE & codec you used to capture
  • what brand and type of tape you used

thanks,
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
[*]whether your HD100 is an 'A' version or not[*]what NLE & codec you used to capture[*]what brand and type of tape you used[/list]
thanks,
I agree with anyone who agrees with me!

I do have the 'A' version
Using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, 720p30
JVC ProHD tapes
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #9
Capt. Quirk

I'm the same as Dennis, "A" model, JVC HD pro tapes, PP2, 30P. And I've only run the one tape, but no problems with motion.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #10
Wrangler

Dennis and Keith,

That is either a pattern or pure coincidence.

Can you do me a favour and watch the footage straight off of the tape on the camera?

If you both see it on the original tape, then we can disregard PP2 as the problem. However, if you cannot see the defect on the tape, then please try capturing the clip with a different NLE or program (CapDVHS, AspectHD demo) and report back.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Dennis and Keith,

That is either a pattern or pure coincidence.

Can you do me a favour and watch the footage straight off of the tape on the camera?
When I watch on the tape I see little artifacts, but not what I see on the NLE. Seems like a small glitch on the tape is becoming a big problem when I capture?

Also, I was noticing I captured to an external drive over a Firewire 800 connection. Maybe that was OK for standard def, but I'll try recapturing directly to the hard drive.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #12
Capt. Quirk

I see everything the same, whether on the cam or the NLE. Wouldn't it just be ironic, that these $10 JVC Pro HD tapes don't work with the JVC cam?
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #13
Wrangler

OK. One last request. Can you please use a program like CapDVHS to capture a small m2t of the problem area and email it to me? tim@timdashwood.com Please make sure it is under 10MB. thanks.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #14
Capt. Quirk

Tim- there are two threads I have the clips posted in. One is http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71195 , and the other is in http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70188

The other issues, I'm way less concerned with. I am really feeling lazy, and don't want to hook up the cam and search for the glitches... please, don't make me?
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Tim- there are two threads I have the clips posted in. One is http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71195 , and the other is in http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70188

The other issues, I'm way less concerned with. I am really feeling lazy, and don't want to hook up the cam and search for the glitches... please, don't make me?
Sorry Keith,
I can't help you find the problem with an avi or wmv because they've already gone through post-processing. I need to analyze an original m2t and determine
  1. IF there is a dropout
  2. If only PP2 reacts this way to the dropout

Sorry.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems