Dead Pixels/Cleaning Tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dead Pixels/Cleaning Tape

I'd like to kill two birds with one stone here if I may, I was watching a tape I shot today and I was prompted with a message that said "Cleaning Tape required" or something of that nature. I have a sony cleaning tape, I inserted it and then pressed play and then it said "Cleaning Tape!" and wouldn't let me play it for more than a few seconds... How long is the cleaning tape supposed to be in there? What's the proper way to clean the heads? Also, I'm having dead pixels spring up on me. How do I get rid of them, how do you access the service menu? What's that protocol? I did it about a month ago and cleared away about two dead pixels. Now one month later the dead pixels are spring back up, what is one to do?
Ralph Sturgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:49 PM   #2
Trustee

To question one - a cleaning tape should only be used for 5 to 10 seconds, from everything I've heard/read. So, I don't think what you describe should be a problem (the ultimate way to know is if your footage is turning out or not + if your camera is letting you record or not).

To question 2, when you 'kill' dead pixels what you are really doing is telling tell camera to perform a diagnostic test to search for any dead pixels and then to 'mask' them. What this does is to deactivate them so they don't show up.

From what you describe, it sounds like maybe when masked the pixels the first time that maybe you messed up somehow, didn't mask them, and then just didn't perceive the dead pixels until a later date (perhaps on a monitor while editing).

That, or you just have some more dead pixels - which would be an uncommon occurrence so soon afterwards, unless you exposed your camera to x-rays (say from an airport).

Either way - just mask them again. But be wary - masking too many times can render the camera incapable of doing the task. There are a few good threads on this point - good luck!

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com

PS - where in Michigan? I'm out of Ypsilanti MI
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:06 AM   #3
Major Player

What happens if you mask the pixels too much?

The first day I got my hd100, I noticed a big bright pixel at the bottom of the screen. I already knew about the pixel mapping procedure so I mapped it!

Problem solved!

But now I am freaked about doing it too much...
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

when you mask a pixel, you just tell to the camera that pixel at coordinate X,Y must be ignored (and replaced by value of next pixel).
this require to store de X,Y value in a memory with limited capacity.
if you need to map to many pixel
(or too many times) you can fill this memory and be unable to mask other pixels.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

if its not too much trouble, could one of you explain the process for masking dead pixels... I was unaware that you could do this yourself, and sent my camera to JVC... losing about a week and half of work, and about 60 bucks shipping. I felt like an idiot when I found out that I could have done it myself.

Also - an unrelated question - has anyone seen the split screen effect after they got their A upgrade. I still have the problem - its less dramatic but I can still see the line down the middle of the screen especially in low light situations with light coming towards the lens.. anyone else?
Ben Chace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chace
if its not too much trouble, could one of you explain the process for masking dead pixels... I was unaware that you could do this yourself, and sent my camera to JVC... losing about a week and half of work, and about 60 bucks shipping. I felt like an idiot when I found out that I could have done it myself.

Also - an unrelated question - has anyone seen the split screen effect after they got their A upgrade. I still have the problem - its less dramatic but I can still see the line down the middle of the screen especially in low light situations with light coming towards the lens.. anyone else?
Hmm, I never see it with my hd100a unless its low light and I zoom onto a grey surface such as a wall. Even then, I have to bump the gain up to at least 9db and it is still hard to see but its clearly there at 18db.

In normal low light situations, I have had no problems with SSE.

I could tell you the mapping process but then I would have to kill you. No actually, I believe we are not supposed to post that process on here because JVC doesnt want people to screw up there camera. It could be safe to post it now but I am not sure at the moment if it's allowed. Better safe then sorry, I will PM you the instructions.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems