What camera would be a good mate for the HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 28th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Major Player

What camera would be a good mate for the HD100?

I want to get another HD camera to mate with my HD100 (keep those snickers to yourself, perverts!). Any suggestions? Would a 1080i camera scale to 720p well enough to match the HD100? Or should I stick with something like the HVX200 which can shoot 720p?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #2
Trustee

I always think the first thing is to decide the precise uses you will put the camera to and what exactly end product(s) you will need.

My first thought for a second camera would be an HD200 with the wideangle lens, or the HD250.

If I wanted something much smaller with autofocus and stabilization -- such as to run around with and get quick handheld shots, anchor to the hood of a car or motorcycle, attach to a clamp and put on the apron of a stage -- I'd look at the small cameras.

If I were doing static shots, such as interviews, and I knew the workflow to match the footage, I might choose a Z1U, so I would have the 1080i when I wanted it, so I would have options for shooting something that would go to broadcast, etc.

One consideration has got to be compatible decks. The JVC deck won't play 1080i, but I think the Sony decks will play 720p (but not record) and they also record DVCAM.

I think it's necessary to make a list of needs (both shooting and deliveryi) and see how the different camera options working with the HD100, and the available editing options, fit best. (If you've been editing 720p and add 1080i, you might need a more powerful computer than you've been using, etc.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Wrangler

Another HD100 would obviously be the best mate. I have two and they are very easy to match with the simple swap of a SD card.

However, I've often thought of investing in a HVX200 because of its small size and versatility of frame rates. I think it would make a great "crash-cam" in place of an Eyemo for stuntwork.
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
One consideration has got to be compatible decks. The JVC deck won't play 1080i, but I think the Sony decks will play 720p (but not record) and they also record DVCAM.
Very good point. Hadn't thought of that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
I think it's necessary to make a list of needs (both shooting and deliveryi) and see how the different camera options working with the HD100, and the available editing options, fit best. (If you've been editing 720p and add 1080i, you might need a more powerful computer than you've been using, etc.)
Basically I'd like something handheld with image stabilization to add flexibility to my arsenal. I'm not sure how well the 1080i of the Z1u will scale to match the 720p of the HD100. Will motion look the same? In other words, would the 1080i scaled to 720p look like real 720p?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Major Player

1080i and 720p have approximately the same temporal and spatial resolution, so they cross-convert rather well.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems