Anyone using wide angle lens adaptors? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #16
Trustee

I suggest calling them on the phone:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/contact/contact.htm

The people in Van Nuys have always been helpful. They can quickly answer questions about the availability of lens hoods.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I came into possession of an old Century WA lens and was confused about my options. A talk with a helpful person at Schneider led to the recommendation that I purchase a 82mm UV filter to stiffen the lens ring on the HD-100 stock lens. The lens ring (which is 85mm on the outside hence the size of the slip on adapter) is not study enough to hold the weight of a WA lens for extended periods.

After some tests, I would not leave the adapter on full time since it's not able to handle any zooms. You might keep it on for handheld interviews but that's it. Lens hood? A matte box should do the trick. Probably will not be cheap.

PS: Mr. Walker is the person who set me in the right direction, thank you again.

Last edited by William Hohauser; July 6th, 2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Additional info
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #18
Major Player

Would anybody know if the 0.5 version would work too on the JVC?
Does the 0.5 start to give fish-eye effect? It's double price of the 0.7 and I don't wanna end-up buying the wrong product.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #19
Inner Circle

It really is a suck-it-and-see situation with converter lenses, but I'm pretty sure the 0.5x will work fine on the JVC. Problem is with such powerful negative elements that they bring with them lots of barrel distortion, and if they're single elements (as against cemented doublets, for instance) quite noticeable colour fringing in the corners.

As I've said before in this thread - if you don't want barrel distortion, you have to use aspherical and not spherical elements. Schneider know this only too well, and Shneider Kreutznach have been making them for years.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi,

I bought a second hand WA-7X5X .7x/5x Wide Angle Adapter Set in perfect condition.
What else to do need to be able to put it on the stock-lens?
I read I need the FA-7x85, but do I also need the FA-8282 Ring?

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Colemont; August 26th, 2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont View Post
Hi Mikos,

I bought a second hand WA-7X5X .7x/5x Wide Angle Adapter Set in perfect condition.
What else to do need to be able to put it on the stock-lens?
I read I need the FA-7x85, but do I also need the FA-8282 Ring?

Regards,
Marc
You need the FA-7x85 to adapt the wide angle to the JVC lens. The wide angle is made for a variety of lenses and needs the appropriate adapter.

You do need the FA-8282 _or_ a filter in the end of the JVC stock lens.

The JVC stock lens is pliable, and it needs the FA-8282 or a filter to make it rigid enough to take the slip-on wide angle adapter.

The FA-8282 is just a ring without any glass. A filter would do the same thing, but it would have the filter glass. The Century rings are generally heavy and sturdy. Something like an ultra-thin filter would not give enough support in the end of the lens.

So you need:
the .5x/.7x wide angle adapter set
the FA-7x85 adapter ring to fit the set to the 82mm/85mm JVC lens
the FA-8282 ring (or an 82mm filter) to make the end of the JVC stock lens rigid enough to hold the adapter

(Note: I think I read somewhere above that the .5x is twice the cost of the .7x. This is not exactly right. The .7x is a single piece. The .5x set includes both the .7x and a second piece that is added to the .7x to make it a .5x. The .5x piece is used together with the .7x and cannot be used alone. However, the .7x is used alone.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks Jack,
I knew I would find the right answers here on the forum.
I'll order both pieces FA-7x85 / FA-8282.

Regards,
Marc
Old February 10th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #23
Tourist

Quote:
The JVC stock lens is pliable, and it needs the FA-8282 or a filter to make it rigid enough to take the slip-on wide angle adapter.
I'm thinking of ordering the slip-on wide angle adapter as well and I'm not sure I understand this part - the end of my JVC lens seems quite solid. I can't see why it would require a ring to make it solid enough to take the adapter. Am I missing something?
Marc Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #24
Major Player

It makes it a bit stronger on the end. And the Wide angle lens grips more on the JVC Lens
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #25
Tourist

ok, thanks Marc!
Marc ;)
Marc Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #26
Regular Crew

.7X .5X Wide Angle Adapter Set

I've had the .7X .5X Wide Angle Adapter Set for a number of years; it's a really great piece of kit. I first used it on a BVW 400 then just the .5X on my Digital Betacam and 15x8 (with a doubler. Now the same pair works very well on the HD 200 stock lens.

No you can't zoom through, but that's OK really, if you want to zoom, simply take the adapter off. I would not want to add a zoom through lens to the JVC Fujinon as zoom throughs are very much heavier, I don't think it would do either the fairly fragile stock lens or the lens small HD 200 lens mount any good at all.

Another positive point is that without the clamp-on you have the long end of the original stock lens and a very wide lens with it all very quickly and without taking the Fujinon off the camera. You can zoom through it a bit (not on shot) and refocus. Incidentally, with the adapter on you use the macro button on the back focus ring to focus, NOT the focus ring itself. Get used to this and beware removing the adapter without firmly resetting the macro button back to its locked position.

You MUST keep all the glass spotlessly clean and NO DINGS! Any mark on the glass is pin sharp! Still, once you've set the macro ring the depth of field is enormous.

Yes you do need the FA-7x85 clamp on ring, that's how it mounts the front end of the lens. You can get other rings for other lenses.

I would NOT use a glass filter to add strength to the stock lens, it just adds more glass. Use a Cokin 82mm filter holder ring, it does the same job.

Yes the combination of the two adapters together adds distortion but with the .7X and the .5X it's getting close to fish-eye anyway and is fun for what it is!

I like the contrast it offers and the fact that you can often successfully shoot straight into sun to good effect. It's excellent for sporty hand-held work or Steadycam without the Steadycam. If you spin through to about 1' 20" on the following clip I shot all the final skiing shots hand held using the full the .7X + .5X Wide Angle Adapter Set clamped to the standard zoom on my old Bet SP camera. I skied very much closer to the one legged skier than you might think.

http://www.beardigital.tv/en/SkiingC...rationClip.wmv

The Wide Angle Adapter Set isn't cheap but the glass is good and I've used it a lot, taken great care of it, I've found it to be a very good investment.

Hope this helps
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Just to say I made the same error where I said ".5X on my Digital Betacam" I meant the ".7"
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #28
Regular Crew

We use the JVC WCV-82SC with great success. It is, of course, zoom-through. Our experience is that if you go any wider with an adapter you will pick up too much undesirable distortion, plus you are restricted to using your zoom in the WA position.
I believe that if you don't have the confidence of understanding WA converters and adapters I would go shopping with my camera and test different lens at a pro photo store. Then you can see for yourself.
Good luck,
Ken

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems